100 amp alternator? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 100 amp alternator?

After a year of sitting on the shelf I opened the box for my complete car wiring harness from American Auto Wire and I'm thinking about getting rid of it. Apparently the harness is for a modified car and one of the things it didn't support was the original style alternator. They suggested a single wire gen III Ford alternator capable of running up to 100 amps. I know you can get any of those things from a parts store but what do you think would be the car and engine to get one for? I looked up one for a 2000 Mustang gt and the brackets looked different. Maybe something from the 90's or is that too old to work with the harness?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I believe (but cannot be for sure) that a Ford 1994-2000 3.8L v6 is the engine that has the 130A alternator that will bolt up to our 66'ish 289's.

I was just looking into this last week... I just purchased a 130A chrome alternator for 94-95 mustang gt.. should be the same as the above mentioned later model years.

I hasn't arrived yet so I can't say but I'm pretty sure it will fit w/o issues.

I believe the Ford Part number is F4SU-10300-AA or something like that. The one I bought was made by PAPerformance and Eastwood as an OEM for another company to sell under their brand... but still had lifetime warranty with PA Performance (supposedly).

coming in less than $200 was still 100+ less than buying direct from PA Performance for same thing.

1966 Mustang GT RestoMod Project: 307c.i.d.,Holly 600 4brrl, TrickFlow Heads, Power Disc Brakes, Integral Power & Tilt Steering, AOD, 9" 3.50 posi rear end & a bunch of other stuff.

Project start date 1999. Completion date... fagidaboudit!

Hye-Po Deluxe 6-gauge bezel www.hye-po.com

RestoMod Product
http://www.myrestomodmustang.com
Like the MyRestoMod project on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/1966-M...88268267888907
HyePo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

What year is your car? You don't need a 3G alternator, just a one wire. I got my Tuff Stuff 100 amp from Summit for about $90.

- 347 Stroker - 417 HP, 416 lb. ft torque
- Holley Terminator EFI (Installation Thread)
- 4 speed Toploader
- American Autowire Installation (VMF & CJPP)
66FSTBCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I got mine from a 1995 Ford Mustang 3.8 which is the larger 130a case. You can also use the smaller 95A case unit from a 1992 Ford Aerostar 2WD 3.0L. I highly recommend this alternator upgrade 14amps at idle all day long.
sanch052 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rock Auto #3351113 , new 3G/130Amp, $154.00

Source vehicle, '96 Mustang V6

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FSTBCK View Post
What year is your car? You don't need a 3G alternator, just a one wire. I got my Tuff Stuff 100 amp from Summit for about $90.
It is a 67 289 with the two barrel. It also said it wouldn't work with a points distributor or the ammeter in the gauge cluster which means I would eventually need a volt meter but nowhere to put it. I may look into a dash face from Classic Instruments to fix that. So what was supposed to be a year old purchase that shouldn't cost any more just became a money pit.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

By the way guys, thanks for the info.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtill58513 View Post
It is a 67 289 with the two barrel. It also said it wouldn't work with a points distributor or the ammeter in the gauge cluster which means I would eventually need a volt meter but nowhere to put it. I may look into a dash face from Classic Instruments to fix that. So what was supposed to be a year old purchase that shouldn't cost any more just became a money pit.
Correct, it does not support an ammeter. I had a Pertronix Ignitor under my distributor so that wasn't an issue for me. Hate to see you sell the kit. It's a good one. With a few of those upgrades for the kit, it will make the car more enjoyable to drive....trust me.

- 4 speed Toploader
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

The 95 amp 3G is smaller than the 130 amp 3G. I got my 95 amp off of a 1995 F250 with a 460 at the Pick & Pull for $25. The 95 amp has 4 holes in between the 3 pairs of ribs. The 130 amp only has 2 holes between the ribs.
awhtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I may or may not end up selling it. I will have to look at all the costs. This project was going to be something to fill in time after getting laid off this past week. Financially I'm pretty good with a severance package but I'm not big on making any unnecessary purchases at the moment.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtill58513 View Post
I may or may not end up selling it. I will have to look at all the costs. This project was going to be something to fill in time after getting laid off this past week. Financially I'm pretty good with a severance package but I'm not big on making any unnecessary purchases at the moment.
Sorry to hear the news. Parts are expensive, I understand. I just ordered a polished one wire alt....if you want, I will sell my existing Tuff Stuff one wire cheap. Unless my new one turns out to be crap. Whatever you do though, you DO NOT need a 3G alternator. Let me know.

- 4 speed Toploader
Old 12-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

"you DO NOT need a 3G". "Need", probably not. But I wouldn't trade my 3G's for anything. I've never been terribly impressed with old style (10si, 12si) GM alternators. Changed a whole lot of them back in their day (1970's-early '90's). Less impressed when they are overstressed outside of their designed operating parameters to produce twice as many amps as original. For the record I've never much liked Ford 1G or 2G alternators either. 3G's are designed to put out their rated amps. And they do it well. Better cooling and bearings than old-school alternators and they can put out more amps at idle than many old 1G Ford alternators put out on their best day.
Those Delco 1-wires don't charge initially. You have to rev the engine up to about 1500 rpm or so to get them "kickstarted". Bothers many folks not at all but annoys heck out of me.
Downsides of 3G's are that they aren't very pretty. NOT one-wires, quite. And some folks have had minor troubles mounting them. But if/when you need a new one, it's close as your local parts store. (I don't have any extras, sorry.)
On the upsides of the GM's, they can be prettified. Chromed, smoothed, etc. If you're after the clean and simple hotrod look they are hard to beat. The ones reworked to fit Fords are direct bolt-ons. Hard to beat the simplicity of hooking up a single wire.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Hey there mtill, true.. you do not need a 3g, but it is a better unit than a GM type one wire and certainly better than the barely adequate original alternator...

if you ever plan on running any additional electrical items like fans, amps, lights, stereo, a/c.. etc and you don't want your lights to dim at idle, it is recommended that you upgrade to 3G. A simple resistor on the line allows it to 'fire' when key is in start position. This type of application will elminate the original voltage regulator and you can easily utilize the modern benefits of the 3G and it is still Ford.

If you want your original gauges to work, then you can use PA Performance's voltage regulator replacement part which contains the proper resistor inside so it basically plugs and plays with your stock wiring... that is about $29.00 at cj's or direct from PAPerf. the alternator can be had, as stated above, from a pick and pull for less than $40.00.

so for less than it costs to purchase a brand new 3G alternator, you can get what you need and still retain your stock wiring.

You will also need a fatter (4ga) cable with fuse from your 3G alternator to the starter selenoid b/c the newer alt puts out so much more power than the origiinal, it will burn up the original wire to the selenoid.

Additionally, & just for fun, a 1-wire cannot be made into a 3G alternator, but 3G alternators can be made into a one-wire for simple hookup... but you lose your gauge functions

1966 Mustang GT RestoMod Project: 307c.i.d.,Holly 600 4brrl, TrickFlow Heads, Power Disc Brakes, Integral Power & Tilt Steering, AOD, 9" 3.50 posi rear end & a bunch of other stuff.

Project start date 1999. Completion date... fagidaboudit!

Hye-Po Deluxe 6-gauge bezel www.hye-po.com

RestoMod Product
http://www.myrestomodmustang.com
Like the MyRestoMod project on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/1966-M...88268267888907
HyePo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyePo66 View Post
Hey there mtill, true.. you do not need a 3g, but it is a better unit than a GM type one wire and certainly better than the barely adequate original alternator...

if you ever plan on running any additional electrical items like fans, amps, lights, stereo, a/c.. etc and you don't want your lights to dim at idle, it is recommended that you upgrade to 3G. A simple resistor on the line allows it to 'fire' when key is in start position. This type of application will elminate the original voltage regulator and you can easily utilize the modern benefits of the 3G and it is still Ford.

If you want your original gauges to work, then you can use PA Performance's voltage regulator replacement part which contains the proper resistor inside so it basically plugs and plays with your stock wiring... that is about $29.00 at cj's or direct from PAPerf. the alternator can be had, as stated above, from a pick and pull for less than $40.00.

so for less than it costs to purchase a brand new 3G alternator, you can get what you need and still retain your stock wiring.

You will also need a fatter (4ga) cable with fuse from your 3G alternator to the starter selenoid b/c the newer alt puts out so much more power than the origiinal, it will burn up the original wire to the selenoid.

Additionally, & just for fun, a 1-wire cannot be made into a 3G alternator, but 3G alternators can be made into a one-wire for simple hookup... but you lose your gauge functions
Funny that you mentioned about the wires burning up. I used a breaker for mine but I read that some people didn't. Also I just got done reading mustang monthly from a few months back on the 3G alternator install that the oem harness can hold up to 60 amps safely.
Edelbrock RPM Performer Heads; bored .30 over
Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 600 CFM Carb.
Comp Cam 268H 9.5:1 Speed Pro Pistons
Patriot Tri-Y Headers w/ 2.5" H Pipe, Flowmaster 40S
Ride tech air ride with 4 link
Global West Tubular Arms and Adjustable Struts
CSRP Front Disk Brakes.
Ford 8 3.40 trac-loc rear end

GO RAIDERS!
sdmustangrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

If I looked at the directions correctly there is a fusible link in the kit for the alternator to the solenoid. As for a pick and pull, there is a salvage yard near my house I may check out tomorrow. I only plan on upgrading the car slightly, maybe fans and a secret audio system. I really wish AAW would have put all this on their website rather than the little disclaimer at the bottom of the page. Oh well.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.