Brake drum balance.... - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brake drum balance....

I always had a vibration in the car at high speeds. Swaping entire drive train I still noticed it. I went and replaced the original driveshaft with one made by Denny's. Taking her up to 120 is not a problem but I still notice a small vibration like a wheel is not balanced but all my wheels are are new , new tires, computer balancing... Whenever I take the wheels off I notice weights on the brake drums (i have 4 wheel power drum). What are the chances i would feel vibrations from the brake drums? I have my 4 wheel disk conversion here to install so the drums will be gone soon... What do ya think??
1968 Coupe, forged roller 408, AFR 205's, custom Comp roller cam, FAST EFI 2.0, Headman headers w/ full stainless steel Flowmaster system, FAST Dual Sync Billet ignition, MSD Blaster coil w/ CDI box & rev limiter, Holley elec fuel system, PA C4 w/4000 stall, Ford 9 inch (Yukon bolt through case w/ 4.11, Billet Detroit locker, 35 spline forged axles), NOS, MT ET Streets, Denny's Alum Drive Shaft.
Mustang_zulu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think it entirely possible a slightly out of balance drum could create what you describe.

It is also possible that tires/wheels that were not lug centric balanced, or an out-of-round tire could cause the same thing.

Given your soon to be conversion to 4 wheel discs however, it is an issue that needs to be addressed after the conversionn is finished.
Charlie, CMSGT USAF Ret. 65 Hi-Po F/B, 67 GTA F/B (SB) Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA) TX, Member MCA #27479. Now working a '69 M code mach 1.
charlie65_67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

You don't say if vibration is there when just braking or just running on highway. My experience is when braking while at highway speeds is (as schooled by our club master mechanic) if your vibration is felt in steering wheel while braking then front drums our rotors need to be turned. If when braking on highway and you feel vibration in chassis on in seat it's the back drums that need to be turned.
If you're having a vibration while driving highway speeds (not braking) then tires/wheels, front suspension, trans or engine mounts broke or weak, maybe flywheel, drive line angle if changed from stock, U joints, driveshaft not balanced, maybe trans rear bushing worn. Those are a few things possible NOT related to brakes. Not easy to nail down. Gotta rule each out.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Joe

It is very possible. I had a vibration on my '72 that appeared at around 60mph, and developed into an outright shaking by 75mph. This happened immediately after all new brakes were installed. It turned out that one of the new drums was out of round - you could see the wobble when it was put on a lathe, but it looked perfectly fine otherwise.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

its only there on highway speeds, not in braking at all.... i can even put it into netural and bring the engine to an idle and its there... its not bad enough to stress on it too much.. i just always saw those balance weights on the drums.. i know the privious owner had the hole drum system rebuilt a couple of years ago and she didnt drive the car but 2000 miles in those two years... i ruled out flexplate cuz the vibration isnt there when i hold rpm. its soooo hard to describe really.. its kind of like a pulsating vibration like you would get from a wheel, but the wheels are new, tires are new, all high grade stuff. i swap out wheels and tires to go from "drag" look to "road car" look. i have a totally seprate set of wheels for each look... just wondered if any drum brake users ever had this before... my last 68 came with the disk brake option so i never delt with drums before which is why they are going bye bye...lol.. well and the fact the car has almost 2 1/2 times the power over the little 289...
1968 Coupe, forged roller 408, AFR 205's, custom Comp roller cam, FAST EFI 2.0, Headman headers w/ full stainless steel Flowmaster system, FAST Dual Sync Billet ignition, MSD Blaster coil w/ CDI box & rev limiter, Holley elec fuel system, PA C4 w/4000 stall, Ford 9 inch (Yukon bolt through case w/ 4.11, Billet Detroit locker, 35 spline forged axles), NOS, MT ET Streets, Denny's Alum Drive Shaft.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you can, swap your tires front to back and see if the vibration moves with the change. It's not out of the ordinary to have a tire with a shifted belt or that has too much runout but will balance otherwise. Also, there are places with on-the-car balancers that will end up balancing your wheel/tire/drum together.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Joe

If the vibration is there in neutral, then it cannot be from the brakes or wheels. It has to be coming from the engine or torque converter. Nothing else is moving. Or do you mean you can feel it when putting it in neutral while you are moving?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
If the vibration is there in neutral, then it cannot be from the brakes or wheels. It has to be coming from the engine or torque converter. Nothing else is moving. Or do you mean you can feel it when putting it in neutral while you are moving?
Yea my bad I ment when I'm at speed and put it into natural and bring it to idle costing 70 mph... I know it's not going to drive smooth as my 2012 Charger rt lol. I hope it gets smoother when the disk brakes are installed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.