Assembly Manuals - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
...just for the uninitiated. I was talking with a guy at the Shelby booth at the Columbus Auto Show (trying to find someone's brain to pick on building my own side oiler) and thought I could say "425" with his understanding...however, he was thoroughly confused; I had to do the math on the spot to remind him.
Believe it or not most of us here can do the math. Many manufacturers 'badge' their engine displacments somewhat differently from what the arithmatic would dictate so that their 'badge' displacement is different from their compeditor, etc. A Ford 302 is 301 point something cu in and is closer to 4.9L than 5.0L depending on how you round it. WHO CARES. If you refer to an engine by another name than what FORD called it YOU are the one that is confused/confusing.
Paul1958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Location: Midway, IN born & raised - Columbus, OH for the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves67ss View Post
I think I read someplace that it was called a 427 because that was exactly 7.0 liters.
...which was the maximum displacement allowed by NASCAR in the 1963 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1958
Believe it or not most of us here can do the math.
...never said anyone here couldn't do the math; it's 4th grade stuff. I would hope that everyone here can do the math. I was just throwing out the fyi and then running the numbers for anyone who might care that hadn't taken the time to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1958
Many manufacturers 'badge' their engine displacements somewhat differently from what the arithmetic would dictate so that their 'badge' displacement is different from their competitor, etc. A Ford 302 is 301 point something cu in and is closer to 4.9L than 5.0L depending on how you round it.
Since you brought it up, the displacement of the 302 is 301.59; if you were going to round it to the nearest cubic inch, it would be a 302. The "302" is a 302 any way you slice it. The "427" is actually 425.

I was merely explaining why "425" was not a typo.

Now back to regularly scheduled thread topic.

My Mustangs don't get chick names. They get horse names.
When Hugh Hefner dies, will anyone actually believe the ubiquitous eulogy statement: "Well, at least he's in a better place"

Tombstone's Grille Ornament
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...e67/emblem.jpg

Last edited by Alaric; 01-03-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm looking for a engine rebuild manual for my I6 200...would this be the one? I've looked EVERYWHERE..LOL
Dougy99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Default FE

All FE blocks are the same size, so if a 390 fits, so does the 427... and of course the 428.

There are numerous resources beyond the Ford documentation you are requesting info on. Barry Robotnick has a great book written recently

If your not a member of the Network 54 FE Forum, I'd suggest you start there. Also, Ford factory 427 blocks are becoming more scarce by the day and usually need significant machine work ($$$), so you might look into an aftermarket block.

Also... a big change in the power potential is the availability of 390 engine stroked to 445 cubic inches offering a reliable 500HP. Much cheaper, much easier on the wallet, and looks the same

PS: If you register on the Netwok54 FE Forum, which I think you should do, don't ever call it a 425, and don't ever try and explain the math behind cubic inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
Note that I switch back and forth between 425 and 427 when discussing the block. 424.96 was the actual displacement of the engine. "427" was what it was badged as so that it would be immediately recognizable as Ford's NASCAR engine.

The "427" is an engine with 4.23" bore x 8 cylinders with a 3.78" stroke from the 390.

volume of cylinder = πrh

π * (4.23/2) * 3.78
π * (4.473225) * 3.78
π * (16.9087905)
~53.12/ cylinder
53.12 * 8

Total Engine displacement of the "427" = 424.96

...just for the uninitiated. I was talking with a guy at the Shelby booth at the Columbus Auto Show (trying to find someone's brain to pick on building my own side oiler) and thought I could say "425" with his understanding...however, he was thoroughly confused; I had to do the math on the spot to remind him.

Last edited by jimeast; 06-13-2014 at 11:24 PM.
jimeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.