Assembly Manuals - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Midway, IN born & raised - Columbus, OH for the job
Default Assembly Manuals: "427" Side Oiler

Anyone have the 1967 FORD PROD ENGINE COMP ASSY MANUAL from Osborn Reproductions?

I've never even seen one. What kind of information is in it? Does it contain the assembly line information for each of Ford's 1967 production engines? (That's my hunch)

...Does it have anything else in it?

(More importantly, to me)
Does the 1965 version of the manual have the 425/427 Side Oiler assembly info in it?

My Mustangs don't get chick names. They get horse names.
When Hugh Hefner dies, will anyone actually believe the ubiquitous eulogy statement: "Well, at least he's in a better place"

Tombstone's Grille Ornament
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...e67/emblem.jpg

Last edited by Alaric; 01-02-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
Does the 1965 version of the manual have the 425/427 Side Oiler assembly info in it?
No, only 200 and 289 information that is applicable to the Mustang.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Rangoon Red with White w/Red Appointments Deluxe Interior
ivygreen65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivygreen65 View Post
No, only 200 and 289 information that is applicable to the Mustang.
Bummer...since the manual's title didn't specifically mention Mustang, I was hoping that it would be for all displacements. If the manuals are specific to the model being built on a particular line, that is discouraging.

Since the 425/427 SO wasn't put into any vehicle on the line...which assembly manual would it be in?

When Hugh Hefner dies, will anyone actually believe the ubiquitous eulogy statement: "Well, at least he's in a better place"

Old 12-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I have one. Yes, it has info on each engine available that year. What specifically are you looking for? Perhaps I can scan a page or two so you can see. Send me a PM if interested.

68 GT Vert - J Code (1st car I ever drove in '73, dad bought it in '71)
67 C Code Vert Sports Sprint (1st car I ever bought in '75)
06 Vista Blue with Pony Package (1st Mustang I ever bought new)
MCA #49294 Grayson, GA (Atlanta)
daves67ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves67ss View Post
I have one. Yes, it has info on each engine available that year. What specifically are you looking for? Perhaps I can scan a page or two so you can see. Send me a PM if interested.
The original question I asked was more vague than I intended it to be. I asked if anyone had the '67 manual and then asked a question about the '65. My fastback is a '67 but I'm wanting to rebuild a '65 425FE Side Oiler for it and am looking for info on it in a Ford assembly manual.

Generally, I was curious if the Ford Engine Component Assembly Manuals were specific to Mustangs or if they contained information on all Ford displacements being built for all Ford models.

Specifically, I was curious if the 1965 Engine Assembly Manual contained the assembly information for the 427FE Side Oiler. I was thinking that it might not since it was not put into any production vehicle in '65 but was holding out hope that it *might* be in there.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I'll look at mine and give you a more specific answer (hopefully later tonight.)

Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Sorry for the delay in responding, got caught up in work and holiday activities.

The book title is "1967 Ford Products Engine Equipment Assembly Manual." It has all Ford enignes supplied in 1967 for all models.

Just looking in the alternator/PS/AC/emmissions belt section, there are probably 40 pages just on the belt configuations. The engines listed are the 170, 200, 240, 289, 289 HP, 390, 410, 428, 428 Police, 462 (Lincoln).

The models covered are Ford, Falcon, Comet, Mustang Fairlane, Renchero, S-77, Cougar, Mercury.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves67ss View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding, got caught up in work and holiday activities.

The book title is "1967 Ford Products Engine Equipment Assembly Manual." It has all Ford enignes supplied in 1967 for all models.

Just looking in the alternator/PS/AC/emmissions belt section, there are probably 40 pages just on the belt configuations. The engines listed are the 170, 200, 240, 289, 289 HP, 390, 410, 428, 428 Police, 462 (Lincoln).

The models covered are Ford, Falcon, Comet, Mustang Fairlane, Renchero, S-77, Cougar, Mercury.

Hope this is helpful.
EXCELLENT news to hear. Then maybe my hope that the 65 version of the manual might have the 427 isn't too far fetched after all. I could just bite the bullet and pay the $16 for a copy but I would be really disappointed if I paid for it and it was a waste of time and money.Thanks gor your help.

Maybe someone that has the 1965 Ford Products Engine Equipment Assembly Manual might be able to confirm whether assembly info on the 427 Side Oiler is in the manual?

Old 12-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
Maybe someone that has the 1965 Ford Products Engine Equipment Assembly Manual might be able to confirm whether assembly info on the 427 Side Oiler is in the manual?
Someone who has the 65 Ford Products Engine Equipment Assembly Manual has alreadyconfirmed that there is no 427 Side Oiler assembly info in the manual. See post #2.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Rangoon Red with White w/Red Appointments Deluxe Interior
ivygreen65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, in 1967 Ford did still use the 427 SO, my regular Ford Shop Manual for '67 has all the repair details and so forth for the 427. So, it would seem to follow that there should be an engine assembly manual kicking around somewhere for model year 1967 with the 427, as it still was an RPO for Fairlanes as well as full size Fords like Galaxies and so forth.
[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), orig engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in summer of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 gear, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Opentracker roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivygreen65 View Post
Someone who has the 65 Ford Products Engine Equipment Assembly Manual has alreadyconfirmed that there is no 427 Side Oiler assembly info in the manual. See post #2.
I'm sorry. I saw the post but missed that you were referring to '65. I thought you were in the '67 manual. It's quite odd that the '65 Ford manual would only have the 200 and 289 in it. That seems like it was specifically written for the Mustang assembly line.

Or am I reading that wrong...are you saying that "the only Mustang engines" that is has in it are the 200 and 289? The 427SO wasn't installed on the Mustang line, so I wouldn't expect it to come up as a Mustang engine.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse; I'm just curious if you're sure that it isn't in the manual at all. If it's in there, it wouldn't be a Mustang engine; it'd be a racing only engine.

Thanks for your help with this!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

It doesn't show the internal engine assembly. It shows what brackets, position the different options are and where they are installed on the engine.

As far as the 65/427 engine stuff. I thing you might be wanting to install (or dreaming of installing) a 427 into a 65 ala what the factory drag racers did back then. You'll need to look into buying the few old car magazines that will show how things were done. And, it was always custom fitting. I problem I've had is I have yet to bump into the magazine that shows how the front suspension was modified to do this. Yeah, the shock towers are cut but what else? (another one of my many fantasy car builds.)
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster View Post
It doesn't show the internal engine assembly. It shows what brackets, position the different options are and where they are installed on the engine.

As far as the 65/427 engine stuff. I thing you might be wanting to install (or dreaming of installing) a 427 into a 65 ala what the factory drag racers did back then. You'll need to look into buying the few old car magazines that will show how things were done. And, it was always custom fitting. I problem I've had is I have yet to bump into the magazine that shows how the front suspension was modified to do this. Yeah, the shock towers are cut but what else? (another one of my many fantasy car builds.)
Aha. I was thinking that it was the assembly line manual for the engine builders much like the weld/sealant, body assembly, wiring manuals were for the chassis builders. I mean...the 425 SO WAS a factory engine; I just don't recall it being installed in anything off the line in '65. It was installed in the R-Code Fairlanes in '66 and '67, so maybe there would be some assembly information on it for those years?

You are correct, though, in why I was looking into information from 1965.
Back to the drawing board.

I'm looking to install a 425 into a '67 (no modifications to the engine bay) but you are correct in that I am looking for any information that would have been available for converting the '65s over to racing.

You said "the few old car magazines that show how it was done..." Do you have any specific recommendations? You said you haven't run into any that discuss the shock tower modifications but that seems to me that you're saying you've been looking.

I had a bare block that was supposed to be "clean" but it really would have needed the 3,4 and 7,8 cylinder pairs re-sleeved...so it's back to the hunt for a reasonably clean (all I care is that it isn't a white trash lawn ornament and the cylinders haven't been -and don't need to be- re-sleeved) pre-1968 427 FE block.

To the shock towers:
I would imagine that my shock towers don't *have* to be cut; I mean, the 428 PI fit the bay for the GT500 just fine without. I would imagine if you were wanting to go with an exotic front suspension installation, you'd possibly be needing to but I'm going to go with a TCP coilover to upgrade the front suspension that utilizes the existing shock tower.

Last edited by Alaric; 01-02-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Note that I switch back and forth between 425 and 427 when discussing the block. 424.96 was the actual displacement of the engine. "427" was what it was badged as so that it would be immediately recognizable as Ford's NASCAR engine.

The "427" is an engine with 4.23" bore x 8 cylinders with a 3.78" stroke from the 390.

volume of cylinder = πrh

π * (4.23/2) * 3.78
π * (4.473225) * 3.78
π * (16.9087905)
~53.12/ cylinder
53.12 * 8

Total Engine displacement of the "427" = 424.96

...just for the uninitiated. I was talking with a guy at the Shelby booth at the Columbus Auto Show (trying to find someone's brain to pick on building my own side oiler) and thought I could say "425" with his understanding...however, he was thoroughly confused; I had to do the math on the spot to remind him.

Last edited by Alaric; 01-02-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I think I read someplace that it was called a 427 because that was exactly 7.0 liters.

Last edited by daves67ss; 01-02-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.