Power Tour 2013 questions - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Power Tour 2013 questions

All,

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season. Started New Year's resolutions early and this year I'm determined to make my dream of driving the '69 across several states a reality. That said, for those who have made the trip I have a few questions for preparation. I'm planning on doing the long hauler.

1. If I currently don't have a cooling issue, what should I do now to make sure I won't run into issues in the summer heat of Texas/Arkansas? Install an electric fan?

2. Does anyone ship their car to the starting state instead of driving it down/up? I live in IL and the start is in TX. It would be a long haul to drive down but if I had to then oh well.

3. Roughly how much coin did you spend on gas,hotels,food,nick nacks, etc.

4. Did you let your insurance know in advance that you were doing a tour?

That's it for now. Thanks in advance.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...70_cropped.jpg
69fback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very nice car
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
Israel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I did the last leg of the 2012 tour and as short as that was, it was hot outside and my engine started to heat up quickly. Those unexpected construction stops, small town traffic with 500 cars driving through at the same time....it takes a toll on the engine. I installed an electric fan.

Insurance, don't know. My round trip wasn't terribly long. Less than 1,000 miles. I went from Oklahoma City to Stillwater, back to okc, back to Stillwater, to Arlington and back to Okc. I avoided an extra night at a hotel.

Costs - last leg I stayed one night at a hotel. At least 3-4 tanks of gas. Shirts and sh** that weren't necessary. Food, drinks. Probably $350-400 for a couple days of fun. It adds up quickly.

- 347 Stroker - 417 HP, 416 lb. ft torque
- Holley Terminator EFI (Installation Thread)
- 4 speed Toploader
- American Autowire Installation (VMF & CJPP)

Last edited by 66FSTBCK; 12-27-2012 at 04:06 PM.
66FSTBCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

My son and I have been on the power tour twice, we long haul in 2010 and again in 2012. We are also planning on going this year With my son 68 fastback that we been working on for over two years. In 2010 we shipped two cars out to Wisconsin from Maryland and it cost us about $900 for both, but it was a open trailer. Both cars got there safe with no damage but were really dirty from the drive. In 2012 we used the Auto Train from Virginia to Florida and it cost about $400 with a sleeper car, diner, and breakfast. That was cool and a great value!

This year we have three cars and we will ship all of them in an enclosed trailer to Dallas about a week before the tour. My youngest son graduates high school the day before the tour starts so we will fly to Dallas the Saturday the tour starts as we did in 2010.

The hot Rod power tour will be the coolest week you will spend driving your car! This years tour has relatively short legs, Most days are well under 200 miles. This will give you more time to enjoy the roads, small towns, and the host city. With that extra time we plan on driving out towards the next stop by about an hour to save on hotel cost each night, as each host city hotel will charge top dollar and booked!

Go for it, and stop and say hey if you see a green 68 from Maryland
Thanks
Pat
keepat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepat View Post
My son and I have been on the power tour twice, we long haul in 2010 and again in 2012. We are also planning on going this year With my son 68 fastback that we been working on for over two years. In 2010 we shipped two cars out to Wisconsin from Maryland and it cost us about $900 for both, but it was a open trailer. Both cars got there safe with no damage but were really dirty from the drive. In 2012 we used the Auto Train from Virginia to Florida and it cost about $400 with a sleeper car, diner, and breakfast. That was cool and a great value!

This year we have three cars and we will ship all of them in an enclosed trailer to Dallas about a week before the tour. My youngest son graduates high school the day before the tour starts so we will fly to Dallas the Saturday the tour starts as we did in 2010.

The hot Rod power tour will be the coolest week you will spend driving your car! This years tour has relatively short legs, Most days are well under 200 miles. This will give you more time to enjoy the roads, small towns, and the host city. With that extra time we plan on driving out towards the next stop by about an hour to save on hotel cost each night, as each host city hotel will charge top dollar and booked!

Go for it, and stop and say hey if you see a green 68 from Maryland
Thanks
Pat
If I would have known you were there, I would have liked to meet you all! My friend and I are tentatively planning for 2013. A few legs anyway. You are right, you can't beat the experience! Best time I have ever had driving the mustang. The People are great!

- 4 speed Toploader
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thumbup Driving fun

For those that enjoy the Power Tours, you could also join is for a Pony Drive. We pick different parts of the US and liesurely drive thru the areas and sightsee along the way. We travel as a group, meet with local clubs along the way, and just have a lot of fun. Since 2004, we've covered most of the US and this summer, we're doing New England and a portion of Canada. In 2014, we will have major trips planned from all 4 corners of the US to Mustang, OK. From there, 1 group will head to Las vegas and the other to Charlotte, for the 50th Anniversary Shows. We're ALL mustangs and whenever there'sa problem, we usually have someone nearby that can assist in repairs as necessary. Fortunately, we have had very few problems and my car alone has done over 69,000 miles just on Pony Drives!
69 GT Convertible- 90,000 miles
08 Coupe
08 P-71 Police Intercepter
200 F-250 Lariat, 2010 F-250 King Ranch
PonyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have long hauled many times and would recommend not only preparing for engine heating issues but hot fuel handling as well. Today fuels work great at 45 to 90 psi but lower them to 5psi or vaccum (inlet side of the pump) and there are issues!
The cost is heavily determined by the hotels you stay at and how many rooms you use each night. Gas and food also can add up.
Shipping the car is an option and saves vacation days but you'll find many on the tour are retired and drive to the starting point and from the end point. If you are trying not to use all your vacation days up ship the car and save the days.
MikenMpls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood

Anybody have any idea how the routes are chosen? Do they ever hold this event closer to the west coast?
Blue Blood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

My wife and I are thinking of making the run from texarkana to little rock. We live in Oklahoma city so that's not too far of a drive. I've always wanted to make the power tour, this may just be the year.
B2BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2BigAl View Post
My wife and I are thinking of making the run from texarkana to little rock. We live in Oklahoma city so that's not too far of a drive. I've always wanted to make the power tour, this may just be the year.
Fellow Edmond resident!

They dont go to the west coast anymore, from what I was told. The turnouts were not that big.

- 4 speed Toploader
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FSTBCK View Post

They dont go to the west coast anymore, from what I was told. The turnouts were not that big.
I guess I can see that, playing in the middle makes it possible for enthusiasts from all over to make it, move it to the coast and you'd lose the other coast... Bummer....
Blue Blood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blood View Post
I guess I can see that, playing in the middle makes it possible for enthusiasts from all over to make it, move it to the coast and you'd lose the other coast... Bummer....
They go to the east a lot, but they say the higher altitudes are hard on the cars in the west.

- 4 speed Toploader
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FSTBCK View Post
Fellow Edmond resident!

I know, small world right! If you ever see an aqua 69' Mach running around up here, come say hi
B2BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2BigAl View Post
I know, small world right! If you ever see an aqua 69' Mach running around up here, come say hi
I have not seen you around. You need to make your way over to Coffee and Cars at Penn and Memorial in the old ultimate electronics parking lot. First Saturday of each month. It's a great time....tons of different cars.

- 4 speed Toploader
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

My friend drove his '69 Goat over the entire course and had a great time (he's planning on having his daughter drive a second car in this year's Tour)! Since the Tour starts right nearby this year, I'm thinking I'll do at least the first two or three legs (as a warm-up for the 50th anniversary trip in '14). See you there!

http://just-a-six.tumblr.com
'65 Coupe, 200ci, T5spd, Silver Smoke Gray, Std Red Interior, DUI ign, Chockostang disc conversion, 3.55 8" rear, CI dual header/exhaust
'03 Convertible, V6, auto, Silver Metallic, Black Top
'06 Coupe, V6 Pony Package, Windveil Blue, Parchment Interior
'14 GT Coupe Sterling Gray, 5.0, 6M, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Brick Red interior, FRPP
Varilux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.