67 fastback experiment - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscott00 View Post
I'm looking for a project. I used to train and compete with German shepherd dogs which cost more than the average person would spend on a ddog. Then there was ggolf,poker and crossfit. Hobbies cost. My goal is not to make money.

Here the secret to happiness..... for free. A good job( financial secrurity that doenst over stress u) a good wife ( or home life) and a good car, dog, golf game etc.

At some point i will get sick and tired of my wife and job and need a fortress of solitude. Superman had his ice palace at the north pole and ill have my rusty Pos mustang
Since you won't be talked out of it, and have proven you're hard-headed and senseless like the rest of us--WELCOME!

So, back to your questions about sequence:

Start with the easy stuff you can do that won't show, like the rear frame rails. Hopefully you have a solid taillight panel and cross piece so you have good points to measure from and attach to; if not, you need to spend a lot of time getting the rear rails in the right position in all three planes. I chased this gremlin for a couple of years, before I figured out that one of the rails was in the wrong position in the vertical plane, and caused my entire rear end to be out of square. Once you've got the rear frame rails replaced, then work up through your trunk floors, forward to your floor pans, etc. If your front frame rail extensions are solid enough to get your new floors in, then I'd suggest working up the firewall and cowl. All of that metal will be hidden, so it's good places to practice, and by then you'll be ready to tackle the front rails. Then you should be ready to work on the visible stuff.

Oh, and the advice about tools is very sound: you're going to need good stuff, and use it a lot, so you might as well start the project with it. High quality welder, good compressor (I'd recommend an 80 gallon--I started my project with a portable, and it can be done, but a quality 80 gallon will make it a lot quicker). Sandblast cabinet and parts washer are all worthwhile investments as well. If you don't already have air tools, then you can save some on the initial outlay by buying a kit from Harbor Freight. That'll get you started with a 1/2" impact, 3/8" wratchet, air hammer, and die grinder for $150 or so. They won't last forever, but then you can replace one tool at a time as they wear out. This is the route I went; the impact crapped out first, and I upgraded with a good one. Still use the air hammer and die grinder (after 7 years), although I've got about 4 die grinders total. After a while you get tired of changing chucks from cutoff wheel to 3M disk, ....

Have fun, and remember you're not on a timeline. The project is the objective. Then you can walk away for weeks or even months if needed, when you're ready to throw a hammer through the wall. You will get there. But, it's worth it!
Husky44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #32 (permalink)

I considered doing the coupe, but I want a Fastback. I big loud fast restomod Fastback. Id rather do it myself and have it a bit a screwed up but have the satisfaction of it being done by my own hands. And over time as my skill gets better fix the imperfections.

Last edited by wscott00; 01-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.
wscott00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #33 (permalink)

Check out this video. This guy started with two rusty Novas and is making one. Check out some of his metal work, and his words at the end of the video.

This guy taught himself how to do it and you can too.
http://youtube.com/jevchance
jevchance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #34 (permalink)

I plan on giving it a shot. right now im considering selling the coupe and buying new used parts as i can. Id rather sell the coupe than cut it up, but if I still have it in the spring Ill grab a saw-z-all and have at it.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #35 (permalink)

Can someone help clear a few things up for me?
I understand that when you cut the roof off of a fastback and put it on a coupe its a conversion.
Ive seen the complete floor pan that includes the pan, rails, trunk etc.... Im assuming you gut the car and place it on top of the new pan, rockers and rails.

If you place a fastback on top of a coupe rockers, floor trunk etc.. is it a conversion or still a fastback? You are basically doing the same thing just with parts from a coupe parts instead a new repoduction
Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #36 (permalink)

Location: Midway, IN born & raised - Columbus, OH for the job

Quote:
I understand that when you cut the roof off of a fastback and put it on a coupe its a conversion.
Ive seen the complete floor pan that includes the pan, rails, trunk etc.... Im assuming you gut the car and place it on top of the new pan, rockers and rails.

If you place a fastback on top of a coupe rockers, floor trunk etc.. is it a conversion or still a fastback? You are basically doing the same thing just with parts from a coupe parts instead a new repoduction
So you're basically asking: if everything but the roof on your fastback is trash and you replace "everything but the roof" on your fastback with parts you took from a coupe, is it the same thing as cutting the roof off of the fastback and plopping it down on top of the coupe?

My Mustangs don't get chick names. They get horse names.
When Hugh Hefner dies, will anyone actually believe the ubiquitous eulogy statement: "Well, at least he's in a better place"

Tombstone's Grille Ornament
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...e67/emblem.jpg
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:

Gray area in my eyes. Using a donor car to restore the fastback. I wouldn't have a problem putting a fb roof on a solid coupe car, in fact at times that would have been the easier way to go. Some will argue with it that it's no longer a fb car, but

Bill

My website and blog

67 fastback on jackstands... slowly getting a new lease on life.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...1340563218.jpg
billywatson1205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #38 (permalink)

....either way you go, you're in what's calle a "Theseus' Ship" scenario (also called the "George Washington's Ax" scenario)

Essentially, if you have George Washington's ax and over the years it has had the ax head replaced twice and the handle replaced, is it still George Washington's ax?

If you have a ship and through maintaining it over the years, every single piece of original wood has been replaced, is it still the original ship?

The answer to these questions tells you what to do; when this question is applied to Mustangs, lots of people say "yes. It still is the same car" which is really the only reason that a lot of our cars have any value on the market. Unless you have the rare "Survivor" Mustang, these things were made on the cheap and the original metal started rusting out in under a decade in some of the harsher areas of the country.

My personal opinion is that there is a gray area as to how much can be replaced and still call the vehicle "VIN [whatever]" I would say that "everything but the roof" goes beyond that gray area into the realm of "not even close to original." My advice is to replace everything on the fastback that needs to be replaced in whatever manner you decide, make sure that the fastback's door tag is installed and -if you ever decide to sell it- be honest with how much of the vehicle is original sheet metal. If you do that, then it really doesn't matter. The whole argument against cutting a fastback roof off and dropping it on a coupe is just to disparage people who have found a smart way to take an absolutely junked fastback and turn it into something of value.

If you take the roof and door tag off of a fastback -document it correctly- and replace every other piece of sheet metal, as long as you are honest with how much of the "original metal" remains, I say you are ok...whether that means dropping the roof on a coupe or replacing the sheet metal in place on the fastback.

If those same people take a fastback roof off, drop it on an "original metal" coupe and pretend like the resulting vehicle is the original fastback, that is ABSOLUTELY wrong to do.

When Hugh Hefner dies, will anyone actually believe the ubiquitous eulogy statement: "Well, at least he's in a better place"

Last edited by Alaric; 01-02-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #39 (permalink)

Im looking at different threads and blogs and am trying to find at what point it becomes a conversion.

it seems that if i took the A pillars, winshield B pillars and fastback and put it on a new 1 piece complete floor pan its still a fast back. But if you do the same with coupe parts its a conversion.

Is there a threshold were its a conversion vs just fastback with a whole bunch of new parts.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Im looking at different threads and blogs and am trying to find at what point it becomes a conversion.

it seems that if i took the A pillars, winshield B pillars and fastback and put it on a new 1 piece complete floor pan its still a fast back. But if you do the same with coupe parts its a conversion.

Is there a threshold were its a conversion vs just fastback with a whole bunch of new parts.
Seriously, I'd say that it comes down to "where is the point that law enforcement will require that I go with the VIN on the coupe rather than the VIN on the fastback." You should ask a member of your local highway patrol.

Bottom line: if you get the go-ahead to carry over the fastback's VIN, it is still a fastback;if they nix that and require you to use the coupe's VIN, it is a "conversion".

Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #41 (permalink)

is it viable to remove the fastback cabin, windshield frame, dash, A pillar, roof, B pillar, fastback etc... and place it on either a new complete pan or the coupe complete pan?

Im thinking about the advantages of selling the coupe, put a few more dollars with the proceeds and buying the complete pan. Vs just stripping down the coupe and using it.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #42 (permalink)

If you do it "right", then either way is fine. I'd take the largest intact pieces of body as put together by Ford, then combine them.

If you put the FB roof on the coupe, take it all to the base of the b pillars at the rocker, and all the substructure down to the trunk floor. If you do that, then no one could tell what was done.

Now if the fastback roof parts are too rust for that, then you have a problem.
jtfx6552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
is it viable to remove the fastback cabin, windshield frame, dash, A pillar, roof, B pillar, fastback etc... and place it on either a new complete pan or the coupe complete pan?

Im thinking about the advantages of selling the coupe, put a few more dollars with the proceeds and buying the complete pan. Vs just stripping down the coupe and using it.
I hope linking to another forum is ok, here is what you describe, but with a 65-66.

65 FB Scratch Build
jtfx6552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #44 (permalink)

That is exactly what I am talking about. Except instead of a new 1 piece
Floor pan using a sold coupe.

I don't care which title I use, the fastback or coupe
Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #45 (permalink)

It's still a fastback in my book.

Bill

My website and blog

67 fastback on jackstands... slowly getting a new lease on life.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...1340563218.jpg
billywatson1205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.