67 fastback experiment - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 67 fastback experiment

I purchased a 67 fastback that ended up being worthless. I was told by several folks Im better off doing a coupe conversion or scrapping it. So i went out and purchased a really soild coupe then found out my wife is pregnant so I cant spend 7k plus parts on a conversion.
Ive decided to keep the fastback and use it as a learning experience. Hell if its in as bad a shape as folks say it is, i cant possibly screw anything up....?

Here is a list of what needs doing. Id like some input on what to order to do things.
New front frame rails
patch passenger side rear rail
replace rear drivers side rail
patch side cowls
replace lower cowl
B pillars
patch windshield post
A pillars
Firewall
Floor pan
trunk pan
wheel wells and a host of other things.

OK... since i have the coupe and more time than sense, here is my plan.
1 Take off the front clip and set it aside to use as a replacement (ill use a body shop to attach the new front)

2 Use the Windshield pillar to patch the ones on the fastback

3 use side cowls from coupe to patch fastback

4. use A pillar to replace pillar on fastback

5. new lower cowl

6. either new firewall or use firewall from coupe to make a patch for the top 3" of the fastback firewall. ( the top 2-3" of the fastback firewall is rusted, right where it meets the vent)

I think this should take care of the front half of the care so its is ready for the donor front clip. then on to the back
Back
1 replace/ patch B pillars
2 patch rear passenger frame (last 12")
3 replace rear drivers side rail
4 replace/ patch rear wheel wells

any words of wisdom as to where I should start? Im doing this as more o fa hobby and a learning experience. Worse case scenario i screw the whole thing up and end up having some one cut the top off and saving it until i can do a coupe conversion
wscott00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sell your car... buy a Dynacorn 67 body. Only 14k for a new shell. It's a whole lot easier than major surgery. No mess. Wife likes clean garage. Your cars completion date just advanced by a year. You should break even when the cost of parts , materials, paint and your blood is factored in. The new shell is ready for paint.

Last edited by Mustang Metal Man; 01-01-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Mustang Metal Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not sure the dynacorn shells can be considered ready for paint. See here: 1967 Dynacorn Fastback
Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

In this case I would say +1 to what the above poster said... you estimate about 7K in parts...usually you can double the parts estimate and be close....

With a new baby on the way, your time for the next 18 years will be limited... trust me on this....

If you have the money go with a Dynacorn, and use the other car/s for parts...
Tom
A Custom HD RoadKing...and too many Vintage Sleds to count...
Renegade600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

The person I spoke to about doing a Fastback-coupe conversion wanted $7000
For labor plus parts. At this point its not about finishing the car but a project to keep myself busy.
I may finish, I may not, I may end up scrapping the whole thing and trading both cars for a dog. Who knows.

Right now I have $2k in the fastback and $900 in the coupe. If it provides me with 2 yrs of something to do it was worth it to me. Its an odd concept, but being able to do something for a few hrs is what I'm after. I used to train dogs, then poker, and with a baby on the way ill just go out side and mess with my car.

I was looking for input along the line of doing the windshield pillar 1st then side cowl. Or don't do "this part" first or the car may twist
Old 01-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Edit, never mind....not want you wanted to hear.
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscott00 View Post
The person I spoke to about doing a Fastback-coupe conversion wanted $7000
For labor plus parts. At this point its not about finishing the car but a project to keep myself busy.
I may finish, I may not, I may end up scrapping the whole thing and trading both cars for a dog. Who knows.

Right now I have $2k in the fastback and $900 in the coupe. If it provides me with 2 yrs of something to do it was worth it to me. Its an odd concept, but being able to do something for a few hrs is what I'm after. I used to train dogs, then poker, and with a baby on the way ill just go out side and mess with my car.

I was looking for input along the line of doing the windshield pillar 1st then side cowl. Or don't do "this part" first or the car may twist
When a new baby comes, time will be EXTREMELY limited. I remember having trouble finding time to take a Sh...... ower.

Having said that, doing a similar amount of work to my 65 fastback, has taken me 10 years of nights and weekends to get to from:

To (In epoxy Primer):

jtfx6552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Looks good. Have you done all the work you self?
I plan doing some work myself but out sourcing the front clip and portion of the body work.

Assuming I make it this far.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I say go for it, but the guys are right if you have any free time in the first 1.5 years, you are doing it wrong.
http://youtube.com/jevchance
jevchance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

You could buy/build a chassis and set the body on it and have a pro-touring ride!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

what is pro-touring?

please excuse my ignorance
Old 01-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Looks good. Have you done all the work you self?
I plan doing some work myself but out sourcing the front clip and portion of the body work.

Assuming I make it this far.
Yes, everything myself, with help from various forums including this one.

I don't want to discourage you, but you should know what you are getting into. Once you have hundreds (or thousands?) of hours and thousands of $ invested, it's tough to think, I still have thousands of both to go. You want to give up, but then all you have done is wasted, so you keep investing more...

I probably have $500 in just visegrip welding clamps...
jtfx6552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

JTFX is right, the proper tools to make the job practical can be thousands. I have no kids and a seasonal job and I spent 6 months and several hours a day rebuilding my chassis like it was a part time job, then did the same thing over the next winter getting the exterior right. The feeling of accomplishment is high, but so were the actual costs.

In retrospect I coulda gone to a Mecum auction and got a really nice driver for less $$. Sure it would not be nearly perfect underneath, but a good looking car none the less.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
what is pro-touring?

please excuse my ignorance
Pro-Touring.com - Welcome to Pro-Touring.com
Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

OP: Lots of wisdom here ^^. Not trying to discourage you at all, just wanting you to be sure you know what you're getting into, because there will be times (like yesterday) when you will look at years worth of work, and regret every second of it. If you don't REALLY want to do this, for no reward whatsoever, you're going to be out a lot of money, time, and be discouraged as hell when you get that new dog.

You also are going to find that you have almost ZERO "spare time" with a new baby. What time you have that you think will be quality garage time needs to be quality baby time, if for no other reason than to keep the wife from going bonkers. Also helps set a good foundation for the next 18 years.

Again, not to discourage you, but to get you in the right frame of mind. Be prepared to go months, if not years, without doing anything to your project. One of the parts of major body surgery that sucks is that you can't just go work on it for an hour. Setup and cleanup take that long.

I'm at 7 years and counting on the 67. Rear end has been re-done three times (that farming it out to the body shop plan didn't work out so well for me; if you're going to do that much work, might as well go on and do it all yourself. By the time you finish the rearend, cowl, firewall, etc, you'll be ready to handle the front clip yourself). I moved the car (mid project) two times, and will possibly move it a third time this summer.

You are planning for a major life undertaking. Go into it with both eyes wide open, and understand that there are cheaper, easier, faster ways to get a nice fastback. You should only do this because you want to endure all the pain, headaches, expense, etc, because it's therapeutic in some sort of masochistic way.
Husky44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.