Heat riser tube?? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heat riser tube??

I'm missing the tube that runs from the air cleaner snorkle to the manifold on my 68 200-6. Some people have suggested not worrying about it but I'd really like to have it. It actually does get cold in Texas and I think it would help the car warm up more quickly, wouldn't it?

This picture is not my car but shows the tube I am talking about. I'm not sure what you call it... heat riser?

Can anyone tell me where I might find one, or if you have a good spare you might want to part with. I need one in great condition because my engine compartment is detailed as if it just came from the showroom.

Thanks!

Ken

Last edited by Kenster; 01-02-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are you referring to the blue painted sheet metal tube going from the snorkel to to the exhaust manifold? Cold in Texas? Here in Wisconsin 0 is cold. -10 is really cold.

Anyway you are allowed to shivver when it's 40F and build a fire in the fireplace!!

I recommend our very own Classic Mustang parts wanted forum.

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Are you referring to the blue painted sheet metal tube going from the snorkel to to the exhaust manifold? Cold in Texas? Here in Wisconsin 0 is cold. -10 is really cold.

Anyway you are allowed to shivver when it's 40F and build a fire in the fireplace!!

I recommend our very own Classic Mustang parts wanted forum.

Slim
Okay, cold is relative. Lows in the low 30s here. I rather like it but my car is a little sluggish when cold. Yes, I'm referring to the blue metal tube from snorkel to manifold.

I'll check the parts forum.

Thanks, Slim. Stay warm, my friend.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Give the parts wanted forum a while. We have 10,000s of members. A lot of us have parts laying around. It's not like ordering from NPD or CJPony. I for example have many "spare" 68 Stang parts not trying to sell maybe forgotten. I read the parts wanted forum every day. Some read it occasionally.

Many people are paranoid. Think if someone knows you want a part the price will be jacked up. Frankly most parts I have I would feel bad pitching. If someone wants it they may get it for shipping/mailing cost.

Slim
Old 01-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, replacing that missing tube will help the engine warm up faster. That's what it's designed to do.

Be sure to verify that the metal door in your air cleaner snorkel is closing when the engine is cold. If that door isn't closed when the engine is cold, replacing the tube won't do any good. The engine will just suck cold air through the snorkel and not from the warm exhaust manifold.

If the door in the snorkel is not closing, check the vacuum motor and the vacuum port where it connects inside the air cleaner. That vacuum port is supposed to allow vacuum to flow when cold, and not let vacuum flow it's hot.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

The riser does not heat the engine, it warms the cold intake air to prevent the engine from running too lean in cold weather. Good idea, actually.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

@ 22GT...Over generalization on my part. It doesn't heat the engine but allows warm air into the carb (I think.)

@ Klutch. The entire air cleaner/snorkel assembly appears to be brand new. ( I bought the car after a full restoration last summer and know very little about what was actually done.) The flap in the snorkel is always closed but can be moved with a fair amount of pressure by hand. Of course, it's always cold because I have no riser at the moment.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

If it's a daily driver type you could fit it with the general purpose flexible heat riser that they sell at all the auto parts stores.

Or you could wait a week until it starts to climb back into the 100s again.
88cougargt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's a rarely driver and I would like to do it properly for occasional shows, if possible. Do the generics come with the hardware to attach it to the manifold?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

The 68 200 heat riser was a curved tube attached to a box at the manifold end. You'd need both for proper function.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenster View Post
The flap in the snorkel is always closed but can be moved with a fair amount of pressure by hand. Of course, it's always cold because I have no riser at the moment.
If the flap is always closed, something is wrong. I can't recall if the vacuum motor holds the flap closed or it holds it open. But once the engine warms up, that flap should be open allowing the carburetor to suck air from the snorkel and not the exhaust manifold.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Not sure about the I6 but on the 289 that curved tube is part of the shroud that bolts to the exhaust manifold. The auto parts store universal flex tube would have nothing to attach to!!

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
If the flap is always closed, something is wrong. I can't recall if the vacuum motor holds the flap closed or it holds it open. But once the engine warms up, that flap should be open allowing the carburetor to suck air from the snorkel and not the exhaust manifold.
No, he's right, the flap is normally closed, and heat from the manifold opens it. He has no manifold riser, so the bulb will never get hot.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I may be wrong (22GT, correct me!) But I believe early V8s (65-67) had the IMCO
system, a "waxstat" controlled the flapper in he snorkle, FOMOCO base Pt # 93096
or something like that. The setup in the picture looks like a later one controlled by
vacuum from a vacuum "tree" that used coolant temp to open it. This system started
in 1968 with the early emission systems. I think. Anyone out there know?
Leon Narozny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Not quite. The vacuum motor was intended to override the wax bulb when you stomped on the gas.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.