Front Susp. Rebuild ?'s - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Front Susp. Rebuild ?'s

I originally rebuilt the front suspension on my 65 back around 1986. I did the standard
kit - lower control arms, uca shafts, uca ball joints, tie rods, bushings.

I doubt I have 15K miles on it since then. However, I am planning on doing the arning drop and roller spring perch this winter. Most of the rubber seals really are not holding grease so I figured I would do a rebuild, but I don't want to replace good parts.

What is the best way to determine if the lca, uca, tie rods needs replacement?

Also, any recommendations on parts? I priced kits and individual moog parts - quite a difference. Is the moog worth it? There also seems to be some design (and price) differences on the uca shafts.
mustang289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang289 View Post
I originally rebuilt the front suspension on my 65 back around 1986. I did the standard
kit - lower control arms, uca shafts, uca ball joints, tie rods, bushings.

I doubt I have 15K miles on it since then. However, I am planning on doing the arning drop and roller spring perch this winter. Most of the rubber seals really are not holding grease so I figured I would do a rebuild, but I don't want to replace good parts.

What is the best way to determine if the lca, uca, tie rods needs replacement?

Also, any recommendations on parts? I priced kits and individual moog parts - quite a difference. Is the moog worth it? There also seems to be some design (and price) differences on the uca shafts.
Are you close to Charlotte? If so, I would order all from NPD and go pick it up. Save a little and get quality parts.
2007 Premium MustangCoupe (V6).. Please don't shun me

Done
Replace Full floor pan
Replace Firewall
Replace Full cowl
Replace Radiator support
Shelby Drop done
Front disc brakes on

Up next:

4 wheel drum to disc conversion, rebuild front suspension/steering, taillight panel, trunk floor,302 and AOD upgrade, wiring harnesses back in, and hopefully only patch panels on the quarters

E=MChuck Norris
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Myopic

Jack car up grab tire at top and bottom and wiggle...if it moves the ball joints are shot.
1968 Fastback 351w T5 - Brute
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
dodgestang is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Go with moog or Mquay norris, skip all of the other stuff. The last time you did this the parts were better than 75% of what you get on line these days.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle View Post
Are you close to Charlotte? If so, I would order all from NPD and go pick it up. Save a little and get quality parts.
They know me by first name at NPD

I priced parts individually at NPD (the higher quality one's) and come out about $250 higher than a full kit at Mustangs Unlimited. I don't think my ball joints are shot, but I do have the 4-bolt ones that replaced the rivets in the UCA. One of the bolts is stripped so I am going to replace.
mustang289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Myopic

I will also point out that regardless of miles driven....you rebuilt the suspension when it was physically younger (approx 20yrs old) than it is now (approx 26 yrs old).
1968 Fastback 351w T5 - Brute
1996 Dodge Viper GTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LUK2D0GjdY
dodgestang is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just bought a complete Grab-a-trak kit from Mustangs Plus. Suspension with roller perches, 1" sway bar, lowering springs, poly bushings and steering rebuild kit. I am doing the arning drop too. Should be installed next week. I'll let you know how I like it.

- 347 Stroker - 417 HP, 416 lb. ft torque
- Holley Terminator EFI (Installation Thread)
- 4 speed Toploader
- American Autowire Installation (VMF & CJPP)
66FSTBCK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

In a similar situation, replacing steering/suspension parts, but poly or rubber?

Forum reviews show 50/50 for/against it. A friend of mine with a 65 Vette, changed everything to poly, no issues or squeaks.......but old post on this forum show that people have squeaking problems with poly. Can this be because when installed, they did not lube the poly?

My Plan:
Tie rods & lower control arms- Moog
Upper control arm - Opentracker
Perches - Opentracker roller
Idler Arm - Opentracker roller

Undecided on the bushings (poly or rubber) for the sway bar, strut rods, coil spring insulators.
Fly2xs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

On the strut rods the Moog is a denser durometer than the OEM stuff, it also uses washers that cup outward and works really well.
The aftermarket style poly strut bushings can work, but 99% of people install them wrong or overtighten and squish the thing and they bind causing the rod to work harden and snap off at the end. Its just not worth using them compared to the Moog bushing kit.

As far as the other bits, I used poly in my sway bar & spring socket with no squeaks, the UCA and the LCA could go either way for me, if budget is no concern try bearings.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang289 View Post
They know me by first name at NPD

I priced parts individually at NPD (the higher quality one's) and come out about $250 higher than a full kit at Mustangs Unlimited. I don't think my ball joints are shot, but I do have the 4-bolt ones that replaced the rivets in the UCA. One of the bolts is stripped so I am going to replace.
Email me your list and I'll provide you with manufacturers for each item. Then ask for manufacturers anywhere else you're considering.

Don't by the cheapest kit you can find, unless you just want to re-do again 5,000-10,000 miles later...

Rick
NPD
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

You can also get replacement dust boots for joints that are otherwise good. If they have been regularly greased and the grease that comes out looks as good as the grease that's going in and there's no play you may not want to replace parts.

On the other hand, many of relatively inexpensive and if they were purchased with a lifetime guarantee, like most suspension parts have when you buy them from places like NAPA, AutoZone, etc., and the boots are split then just swap them out for new ones...nobody should give you any flak. That's the reason I save EACH and EVERY receipt for a warranted item.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.