Tranny problem - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tranny problem

Earlier today I tried to move my car, just across the street, and I discovered a problem with my transmission shifting. I would put the selector into reverse, but the trans would skip down into neutral, then stall. A couple of times it would stay in reverse for a second before shifting back down to neutral, leaving me blocking the middle of my street. After about three or four tries I was able to turn it around and park. I shifted it back and forth a couple times and it didn't do it again. I've been thinking I've had other problems with it shifting drive gears too quickly, (1st-2nd almost as soon as I hit the gas and 2nd-3rd by the time I hit about 15-20 mph) but I was told that's normal for a C4. I'm almost afraid to take it to a transmission shop (if I could even afford it) since I don't want it popping out of drive in the middle of the road. I don't know if these are related but if anyone has any ideas on what may be causing this, any help is appreciated.
supercar14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm assuming the car wasn't warmed up at all during this time, right? Check your transmission fluid level. Might just be slipping because it's low on fluid.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/Dra...69-Coupe-Build
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

After verifying your fluid level, kickdown linkage and vacuum lines to the modulator and finding no problems I'd head to the local tranny shop.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Checked the fluid level, and it was almost empty, which means it's leaking again since I just changed it about a month ago. I also tried to adjust the modulator and found that it wouldn't adjust, so I'm guessing that's broken. It's also weird that the trans, after being almost empty now says it's over full after adding only one pint of fluid. Doesn't it hold about 7-10 pints?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's best to check the transmission fluid level when everything is good and hot. Better for it to be a little low than overfilled.

I would recommend replacing the modulator, taking it for a long drive, then checking the fluid level.

If it's leaking, hopefully, it's the rear seal. Those are cheap and easy to fix. If it's the front seal, it's cheap, but it's not easy. You have to drop the transmission.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercar14 View Post
Checked the fluid level, and it was almost empty, which means it's leaking again since I just changed it about a month ago. I also tried to adjust the modulator and found that it wouldn't adjust, so I'm guessing that's broken. It's also weird that the trans, after being almost empty now says it's over full after adding only one pint of fluid. Doesn't it hold about 7-10 pints?
Sounds like you did have a low fluid problem. Haven't noticed any smoke or anything different coming from the exhaust have you? Maybe the modulator is bad and it's sucking fluid from the modulator into the motor. You would probably have noticed that if it was though.
.................................................. .................... My '70, mildly built 302, 4 spd. w/Hurst shifter, Mallory 6AL, 3.40 gears. Sub-frame connectors/cage. Pro-Stars, 15X7'' & 15X10'' Lowered 2'' all around.. Pic. taken at Horsehead overlook on Skyline Drive, not far from home...
horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
Sounds like you did have a low fluid problem. Haven't noticed any smoke or anything different coming from the exhaust have you? Maybe the modulator is bad and it's sucking fluid from the modulator into the motor. You would probably have noticed that if it was though.
I do have some engine problems, and I sometimes there is smoke in the exhaust other than when it's warming up. What would be some of the other symptoms if that was happening?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Symptoms of a bad modulator valve are transmission shifting incorrectly, trans fluid level dropping without seeing any leaks. Maybe fouling plugs. I would change the modulator valve. Get the white stripe one.
.................................................. .................... My '70, mildly built 302, 4 spd. w/Hurst shifter, Mallory 6AL, 3.40 gears. Sub-frame connectors/cage. Pro-Stars, 15X7'' & 15X10'' Lowered 2'' all around.. Pic. taken at Horsehead overlook on Skyline Drive, not far from home...
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

My modulator is the press-in type. Can you get the white stripe ones in that type, and if so, where?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Should be able to get the white stripe in the press in type. Try your local auto parts supplier. PS---hope it fix's your problem.

Last edited by horsehead; 01-06-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.