Daily drivers?anyo - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

"Stated Value" is not "good" insurance. "Agreed Value" is.

Read here: http://www.grandsportregistry.com/CI...reed_Value.pdf

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

My 67 convertible is my daily driver. I have Progressive.

'67 6 cyl Convertible, Clearwater Aqua
TomStewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to graywolf_14

Their is a da civ here that has a 66 coupe that drives all yr, even has snow tires on it.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

As usual, bartl is spot-on. Here are the facts:

- Classic car insurance is a very good value. It's inexpensive and offers very good coverage. If your classic Mustang is damaged, Hagerty, or a similar company, will pay to have it repaired proplerly. If your Classic Mustang is stolen or completely destroyed, you will get a check for the agreed value. As you're finding out, the big catch is you must have another vehicle as your daily driver and your classic car must be garage kept.

- Regular car insurance companies are a bad way to go when insuring a classic. I'm not sure about USAA. But with any other insurer, you'll get hosed. Regular insurance companies consider a classic Mustang as having no value whatsoever. If the car is damaged, stolen or destroyed, the most you can expect is a token amount for paying your premiums. Obviously, your lender is very aware of this.

Shoot, buy an old Honda Civic if you have to and make that your daily driver. Park your Mach 1 in the garage and go with Hagerty or a similar company.

I also believe classic cars should be driven and driven often. But there's simply no way to get adequate insurance if it's your daily driver and/or it's not garage kept.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have my 67 (only a coup) insured as a daily driver because I want to use it like a "regular " car and loan it to my sister or my nephew on occasion. I also don't want to lie to Haggertys and tell them I was really going to a car show when that guy ran a red light at 2:30 in the morning (those halogen seal beam replacements are great by the way). I have a "sort of" agreed upon value. They will never pay more then $14,500 for a total but they can pay me "market value" for a similar car at the time of the accident. This makes driving this car "affordible and my loss is well tempered and more importantly my liability is covered. All this for $400 more with my two cars already insured (another factor here is that my insurance company corectly sees that with three cars they are collectively not going any more miles then the two had been)My company is California casuality, a policeman, fireman, teacher kind of insurance company.
justjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

i have Hagerty too.. they gave me a "Guaranteed Value" policy.... i haven't wrecked it yet so idk how they are... but i only paid like $270 per year with $150 in Roadside with guaranteed flatbed towing... when not in project mode, i'll drive the stang 2 times a week to work and alot running up to the store or parts house.... i told them i'll drive the car maybe 3k miles a year, which is spot on....
1968 Coupe, forged roller 408, AFR 205's, custom Comp roller cam, FAST EFI 2.0, Headman headers w/ full stainless steel Flowmaster system, FAST Dual Sync Billet ignition, MSD Blaster coil w/ CDI box & rev limiter, Holley elec fuel system, PA C4 w/4000 stall, Ford 9 inch (Yukon bolt through case w/ 4.11, Billet Detroit locker, 35 spline forged axles), NOS, MT ET Streets, Denny's Alum Drive Shaft.

Last edited by Mustang_zulu; 01-06-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Mustang_zulu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #22 (permalink)

I have American Classic with an agree on value of $20K. Annual premium is right at $170 and allows me to drive up to 2000 miles a year. I have Triple-A so declined AC's roadside service add-on.
I could have contracted this insurance myself but my home and auto insurance agent also handles American Classic. I contracted through him and exactly the same rate as if I did it myself on-line. Now, I have an advocate to fight for me, should the need arise.
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #23 (permalink)

Maybe you should contact one of the classic insurers and tell them what you want. If you don't believe us about the regular insurers please call them and ask them about the value of your car if its totalled and if its determined your not driving to a car show. I worry about those people who have, say State Farm, and believe they are safe. I hate to see these cars totalled and someone not able to afford another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.