AOD swap shifter linkage - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default AOD swap shifter linkage

Question for any of you guys that swapped in an AOD and retained your stock shifter linkage. I managed to "modify" mine, to make it work, but I can't seem to get the geometry right to make the shifter line up right with the new transmissions selector arm. I can run it through all the gears, but it's not lining up with the shifter just right. I'm actually in first gear when the shifter is in second, or if I bolt it up the other way so I can get it to line up with first, I can't put the thing in park. Did anyone else run into something similar, or have some tips for me on what I can do to correct it? I've bent this linkage every which way I can think of, and I can't seem to make any difference.

Yes, I know they make a rod to do this swap, but I've blown all the money I can right now. This whole deal has ended up costing WAY more than I had planned. I may buy a new rod here in the near future, but this is gonna have to work for now.
B2BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, you need to start with everything in park, the trans and shifter. Because that's the safety part of it. If you can't get it into park the parking pawl inside of the trans won't engage and that will cause safety issues. I guess I got lucky with mine cause it works just fine. I used the factory rod too. Had to cut it up and weld it back together but got her done after several hours. B
LindenBruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenBruce View Post
Well, you need to start with everything in park, the trans and shifter. Because that's the safety part of it. If you can't get it into park the parking pawl inside of the trans won't engage and that will cause safety issues. I guess I got lucky with mine cause it works just fine. I used the factory rod too. Had to cut it up and weld it back together but got her done after several hours. B
What did you have to cut up and weld? I just heated the rod and bent it into shape. Seems like I'm missing something here. Don't suppose there is any chance you have a picture of what your rod looked like is there?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linkage001.jpg (85.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg linkage002.jpg (94.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg linkage003.jpg (88.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

The rod was from a 73 Mustang and it was bent to heck to begin with. So I straightened it out as best as I could. But to make it fit right I had to chop it up and weld it back together again so I would work right with the angel involved. I used an adapter plate to mate the transmission to an FE which shoved the trans back about 1 1/4" further than usual. B
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ah, I see what you did there. I flipped mine over but not end over end like that. Dangit, I've probably bent mine so far out of whack, I'll never get it back in the right shape. Thanks for the pics, much appreciated.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

You can make your own with a couple rod ends and some threaded rod ~$20. Here's a good thread from another site with drawings and pics. He made a bracket ~1" up from the trans lever but I looks like you could do the same drilling a hole and using a spacer or putting a greater bend in the rod.
Shifter Rod Opinions

Jon
1967 Coupe 333ci CandyApple Red w/red int., AOD, 9" 3.50:1, Front PDB
'09 Warriors In Pink V6 w/glass roof - wife's Stang
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK View Post
You can make your own with a couple rod ends and some threaded rod ~$20. Here's a good thread from another site with drawings and pics. He made a bracket ~1" up from the trans lever but I looks like you could do the same drilling a hole and using a spacer or putting a greater bend in the rod.
Shifter Rod Opinions

Jon
That was my initial thought. I looked all over the hardware store trying to find some kind of eyelets I could screw on to a piece of all thread, but I couldn't find anything that looked useful. I really gotta take a welding class.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Try a hobby store, mom & pop hardware or motorcycle shop possibly. I got my rod ends in one of my Summit or Speedway orders.
Jon
1967 Coupe 333ci CandyApple Red w/red int., AOD, 9" 3.50:1, Front PDB
'09 Warriors In Pink V6 w/glass roof - wife's Stang
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.