Am I just being too anal? - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #46 (permalink)

I love this...Fly2xs didn't even notice the little blemish on his Scott Drake bezel, but now is concerned about the "quality" of it because he paid $20 more for it than an overseas bezel. I don't get it.

C'mon guys. This thread parallels women sitting in a hair salon complaining about their mani-pedi's.

...just say'n
Mustmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #47 (permalink)

No offense taken

I know some vendors review these forums, so I like to keep them on their toes. For me, why settle for avg/good when you pay a premium? I work in a service industry that most everyone on this form has used at least once in their life that cost a premium just to use, so if an avg effort is given for a pricy product, a customer is going to use a competitor the next time for sure. I didn't just bash, also gave praise to SD for their glovebox.

It is all good!

Fly2xs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

I'm glad people demand Mustang parts without flaws or I might be driving a complete can of worms...

In the last 2 years alone...
I am on my 3rd reproduction gas cap due to venting issues, 2nd white stripe reproduction heater hose due to the last being slightly oversized, 2nd reproduction brass float sender due to incorrect readings near the empty, I scrapped a set of new Concours spark plug wires since they were bad (Mustangs Unlimited wouldn't take a return on them since they were an electrical item), My reproduction shifter wouldn't accept trunnions out of the box since it was produced out of spec (had to use a dremil on it), My weatherstripping uses metric nuts!, GT reproduction exhaust H-pipe was produced out of spec, and I could go on...

Last edited by Fast68; 01-13-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Fast68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #49 (permalink)

I would send it back. I work hard for my money, It's not going to go away,and you will see it everytime you look at the dash.

68projectcar
68projectcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68projectcar View Post
I would send it back. I work hard for my money, It's not going to go away,and you will see it everytime you look at the dash.

68projectcar
While that sounds like the best option, if it is a mark produced by a manufacturing process, my only other option would be some ghetto plywood mount to hold the gauges. As mentioned earlier, if this is the best they can do, I'll live with it.
I just wish they could have put the jig at the top of the hole where it is less visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast68 View Post
I'm glad people demand Mustang parts without flaws or I might be driving a complete can of worms...

In the last 2 years alone...
I am on my 3rd reproduction gas cap due to venting issues, 2nd white stripe reproduction heater hose due to the last being slightly oversized, 2nd reproduction brass float sender due to incorrect readings near the empty, I scrapped a set of new Concours spark plug wires since they were bad (Mustangs Unlimited wouldn't take a return on them since they were an electrical item), My reproduction shifter wouldn't accept trunnions out of the box since it was produced out of spec (had to use a dremil on it), My weatherstripping uses metric nuts!, GT reproduction exhaust H-pipe was produced out of spec, and I could go on...
This is a great example why as customers/consumers we should demand higher quality.
When a completed restoration is made up of 75% reproduction parts, you're adding a lot of potential roadside breakdowns and work to be done after one thinks he is done with his project.
It's the "stacking" effect. You keep stacking these flaws and ignoring them, you're going to discover you just built a pretty POS to bite you in the butt later.
Granted, mine is a cosmetic issue, but if you don't think there's not a functionality flaw being sold out there, you are in for a big surprise. I consider myself lucky with my experience and skills to be able to see a part with flaws, be it cosmetic or functionality so I can correct it during the build.
I may be a PMS'n old lady now, but at least I won't be on the side of the road or in a parking lot at a car show whining and bitching in the hot sun about one of many flaws that someone found acceptable during the rebuild.

Not sure if any of you remember Oswalt's Mustangs, but he was a vendor/dealer that retired about the time I bought my project 13 years ago. He was the go to guy in SC for parts, and I had a nice long phone conversation with him why this was.
He knew which aftermarket parts were junk, which to buy and how to fix those where there were no options. He turned out some really nice cars in his years in the business.

Last edited by ScottsGT; 01-13-2013 at 11:17 AM.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
While that sounds like the best option, if it is a mark produced by a manufacturing process, my only other option would be some ghetto plywood mount to hold the gauges. As mentioned earlier, if this is the best they can do, I'll live with it.
I just wish they could have put the jig at the top of the hole where it is less visible.
Has Scott Drake got back with you yet?
If so what was their answer?

65 Fastback 2+2 Rangoon red, red interior
6 cyl, AT, A/C, P.S., P.B.

MCA# 00945

Previously owned Mustangs:
6F07C,5F07T,5F09A,6F08A,
5F07C,3F03F,1F03H,3F03H,
1F04F,3F01L,8F03Y,9F03W,
84 SVO,86 SVO
65fastback6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2xs View Post
No offense taken

Haha...Good, I didn't mean to be offensive. Nice pic too...LOL, had to show my wife.
Mustmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #53 (permalink)

Oh, that's the one they keep selling and being returned for a change. It's been around places!!
MisterMiracle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #54 (permalink)

We, the consumer are far from blameless for low quality. Since WWII we have flocked to any supplier that charged lower prices. That's the primary criteria most people consider when making a purchase decision. Natch', a vendor can charge a lower price if he sources his wares from lower quality manufacturers. So, don't bitch once you got a deal on your Chinese made purchase. Is there any wonder why "New Old Stock" commands premium price?
Bucket Lister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.