Paint!! - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfx6552 View Post
Looks Fantastic! Don't you know you can't do a great paint job in a garage, lol....
Thanks. There are some flaws in the paint where little bits of whatever settled into the paint/clear coat. I was able to correct the appearance somewhat when I did the cutting and buffing, but some spots are still noticeable. It's not a high dollar custom show car paint job, so I wasn't expecting perfection. For a garage shoot, it turned out pretty good.
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd2caa40.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #47 (permalink)

Looks good man, I love that color!
http://youtube.com/jevchance
jevchance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #48 (permalink)

That looks great!

65 convertible, 289 C code, C4 automatic, Wimbledon white, red interior.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #49 (permalink)

Dang it looks straight and slick
Fox Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Rodder View Post
Dang it looks straight and slick
it does!
lovely color!
impaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #51 (permalink)

I am happy with how straight the bodywork came out. I guess it is possible to get matching lines with reproduction metal (with a little creative addition of metal here and there)! The doors, quarter panels, and rear valance are reproduction metal. The front valance and taillight panel are Ford Tooling reproductions. Everything else is original metal and it took quite a bit of filler work and block sanding to get it all straight. Whoever said that bodywork and prepwork is 95% of the time spent on a quality paint job was on the money, although it was probably more like 99% for me. 4 months of prep led up to 1 day of shooting paint.

It may not be too noticeable in the photos since I did not take any close up pictures, but the quarter panels are blended into the rockers, rear valance, and transition piece between the rear window and trunk. No visible seams there!
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

Last edited by Greg'66 5.0; 01-22-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #52 (permalink)

I would also like to commend you on a job very well done actually it is outstanding. You sure have alot of great bodywork skills and know how not to mention your painting abilities. Where did you learn to do all of that? Did you ever work in a bodyshop or have a friend that showed you how to do bodywork and paint? Or did you teach yourself through reading books. If so are there any books that you recommend to teach somebody with zero bodywork skills? Your work is impressive and I also want to thank you for sharing your knowledge and your detailed information of your equipment and products used. I'm a DIY wannabe.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #53 (permalink)

Thanks for all the compliments on the bodywork. This was my first attempt at any real bodywork. I have tried (unsuccessfully) in the past to do bodywork on some other cars I have owned. That was when I did not know as much about bodywork as I do now. What I can tell you is that it is boring and tedious, but absolutely vital for a great finished project.

I have learned everything by doing. I read magazine articles, internet forums, and have watched my share of YouTube videos to get a basic grasp of the concepts involved. After that, I dove right in and tried it myself. It's not really all that hard - you just have to be patient. One thing that I'm not good at is fixing dents and working metal to just the right shape. I got everything as straight as I could with a hammer and dolly, but I know there are some gifted metal workers that can work dents to the point that practically no filler is required.

Even with new metal, some work is still required. Granted, my doors and quarter panels don't have anywhere near as much filler as the roof, hood, and trunk (the original metal still on the car). The time that you put into block sanding is what really makes the paint look good. I block sanded the entire car 4 times, and there are some spots that I probably sanded, filled, sanded, filled, resanded, refilled, etc. at least 8-10 times before they finally looked right. I would say that block sanding using guide coat and a long straight sanding board is the single biggest key to a straight body. I probably have $300-$400 invested in just block sanding boards and rubber blocks. I have a set of Durablocks that I used to some extent, but the majority of the work was done with long flexible sanding blocks that I got from Eastwood. They aren't cheap, but they get the job done quickly and correctly.

I have never worked in a body shop nor do I have friends who are body guys. I just picked it all up by not being afraid to do it myself. It's the same way I learned to do home improvement projects, plumbing & electrical work, engine building, welding, etc. You just have to be prepared to spend a lot of money on the right tools and also be prepared to pay a professional more than usual if they have to fix your mistakes. The tools I bought are easily paid for by not paying someone else to do the work - and I get to keep the tools!
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

Old 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #54 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Really nice job. I'd like to have the guts someday to try to learned what you have taught yourself!
68gt390bench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.