Buying my first Mustangs! - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Alert Buying my first Mustangs!

Very very excited tonight

I finally have a date to go buy my mustangs on! So this next saturday im going to be buying two (2), 1966 mustangs and need some advice in regards to how much to pay for them. Im hoping that paying for two in a package may lower the price but even then what should I be aiming to pay for these cars? All i know so far is the year, engine size, that they run and drive and that this owner has had them under cover for the entire time he has owned them. Very limited I know.. but I am getting this deal through my uncle. He is buying the house of the man who owns them currently and he has been in New York. His first day back is Friday so I wont really have much else to go on until it comes to buying them. Im going to buy them regardless because when does something like this ever happen? It sounds like the owner wants between $5,000 and $10,000 depending on which car. I dont know what price goes with which car yet... I will get their history then and milage and all the other good information but I would really like to have a ball park figure before going in there. Im going to get the Green GT and either the Red or Blue coupe on the opposite end. Here is what I know currently..

The Green GT on the far left is the 289 with a 4 speed hurst
The Red is the 289 and ive been informed by someone on here that it has the deluxe interior and its an automatic
The Blue one is an inline 6 and an automatic
Im not interested in buying the gold one..Dont like the vinyl roof for some reason..

What would be a good price to buy the Green GT and Red Coupe at?
and
What would be a good price to buy the Green GT and Blue Coupe at?
or
What would a good price be if you were to buy just the Green GT, The Red coupe or the Blue coupe alone?

Here are some photos of them and a link for more photos.
Link ----> dylan-pb66's Library | Photobucket

Thanks again for all the help and advice guys. I really appreciate it!

-Dylan

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Dylans '66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

That blue one looks nice, but get the the orange since it's in a pretty good condition and it's a V8. If you get the inline and want to go V8 in the future, then you'd have to do a lot of things to convert. Besides, the orange paint looks to be in really good shape. So body work/paint job you won't need and save money on that. I'd say for the green and red, ball park price would be around 13K or so. Guess it really depends whether any rust issues/interior condition as I saw in the pictures. Lots of factors can determine the price for the 2 cars.
Edelbrock RPM Performer Heads; bored .30 over
Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 600 CFM Carb.
Comp Cam 268H 9.5:1 Speed Pro Pistons
Patriot Tri-Y Headers w/ 2.5" H Pipe, Flowmaster 40S
Ride tech air ride with 4 link
Global West Tubular Arms and Adjustable Struts
CSRP Front Disk Brakes.
Ford 8 3.40 trac-loc rear end

GO RAIDERS!
sdmustangrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Personally I'd rather put my money in the GT, then a nice paint job, then a set of aluminum heads
Fast68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'd say to check for rust on the floor pans and under carriage etc. I would rather do mechanical stuff than body work.

I do kinda like the aqua I6 one.

Is that one emberglow? Thats a neat color too.
Edelbrock Heads, Cam, Intake, and Carb
JBA Headers and Dynomax Ultraflo Mufflers
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...-100-1108.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXk_MVV7V0g

Last edited by tx65coupe; 01-14-2013 at 01:54 AM.
tx65coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast68 View Post
Personally I'd rather put my money in the GT, then a nice paint job, then a set of aluminum heads
Im with you! i would put my money in the GT. The I6 is a great engine, i have that in my coupe. Easy to work on. But the wheels are probably 4 lug. Which really sucks!! But you are most likely looking for more pony's so i would go with the GT.
myresto68mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
TJH

Buy them all then sell what you do not want (but 1st check them all out for rust). Good luck.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH View Post
Buy them all then sell what you do not want (but 1st check them all out for rust). Good luck.
Thats the goal with buying two is to flip one and keep the other. I really want that GT so im going to get that and one other. Ill sell it later so ill have money for the GT ha Pretty much just wondered how much money was smart to put down but I guess thats kinda a unknown factor with having so little information. Still excited regardless.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

You have your heart set on the GT so get that one and make the best deal possible.
For the other, I would pick the one that is in the best shape, needs the least amount of body and interior work, and runs well in your test drive. You want the one that will be the quickest, easiest and cheapest to flip.

Have you already let the seller know that you want two cars? If not, I would approach it as if you have narrowed it down to two cars and are trying to decide on one car. Get his best possible, bottom line price on those two, then offer to buy both of them 'right now' for $1000 less than the two would have sold for separately. Have cash in hand.

Personally, I like the Blue Six as your number two car. Looks like maybe some front seats and an engine bay detail may be all you need, assuming it's okay mechanically.

I would think that if you can get both for $13k, you're in good shape. If you go in with only $13k in your pocket but REALLY want them, you can tell him you have only $13k in your pocket. If he balks or counters with a higher number, you can have another $500 or $1000 stashed out in your car, but look real sad and tell him you're not sure you can come up with more money and start walking away. If he sees you leaving he may change his tune. Otherwise, drive away. Call him in half an hour and tell him you can come up with another $500.

Good luck and let us know how you come out!
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenster View Post
You have your heart set on the GT so get that one and make the best deal possible.
For the other, I would pick the one that is in the best shape, needs the least amount of body and interior work, and runs well in your test drive. You want the one that will be the quickest, easiest and cheapest to flip.

Have you already let the seller know that you want two cars? If not, I would approach it as if you have narrowed it down to two cars and are trying to decide on one car. Get his best possible, bottom line price on those two, then offer to buy both of them 'right now' for $1000 less than the two would have sold for separately. Have cash in hand.

Personally, I like the Blue Six as your number two car. Looks like maybe some front seats and an engine bay detail may be all you need, assuming it's okay mechanically.

I would think that if you can get both for $13k, you're in good shape. If you go in with only $13k in your pocket but REALLY want them, you can tell him you have only $13k in your pocket. If he balks or counters with a higher number, you can have another $500 or $1000 stashed out in your car, but look real sad and tell him you're not sure you can come up with more money and start walking away. If he sees you leaving he may change his tune. Otherwise, drive away. Call him in half an hour and tell him you can come up with another $500.

Love that approach!!
myresto68mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenster View Post

Very smart idea! Sounds like aim for maybe like 12-13k or so on both. Were going to park the flat bed down at my uncles which is like 5 mins away or so. That way we dont show how much we really want them ha. Well your vote and I know one others vote is for the blue I6? Thats how I felt when I first saw them. I mean its a beautiful car with a torn seat as the only damage. Your right in that I need to clean the engine bay too but thats easy.

Any other votes? So far we have 1 for the red and 4 for the blue.
Thanks for all the input guys. I really do appreciate it!

-Dylan

Last edited by Dylans '66; 01-14-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

What a great line up to choose from. Absolutely the GT but if it were me and the red one is actually Emberglow (which is what it looks like in the closer pictures) that's the other one I would go for. It's a V8 with a unique and beautiful color and more desireable than the I6 if you're flipping it. I do agree that the blue one is a great looking car too and if it's less work to flip, then I would agree with the others to pick it.

The easiest way to solve the decision issue is to buy them all. Good luck with what ever you choose. They're all great looking cars and you'll love whichever one you keep.

65 convertible, 289 C code, C4 automatic, Wimbledon white, red interior.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

The green GT and the red car with the pony interior would be my choice. Those have the most value. It will be easier to resale the red 289 car over the six cylinder. It is always hard to place a value without seeing the cars but i would put the green GT at $6500-$7500 If it only has minor rust in the normal areas. The red one would be about the same value if it is in nicer condition overall. That puts me in the $13000-$15000 Range.
cmefly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

How much does he want for the gold one? I like it personally. Maybe I would buy it then we could use your purchase and mine to drive the price down a bit for all involved.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

My choice would be the gt with the 4speed and the other one with the v8.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcity View Post
How much does he want for the gold one? I like it personally. Maybe I would buy it then we could use your purchase and mine to drive the price down a bit for all involved.
No idea what we will end up paying yet but were going up to see them this saturday and Ill know by then. If you are really interested in what he would want for it I can ask this weekend and post those numbers. We are in Washington State if that makes a difference.

"The green GT and the red car with the pony interior would be my choice. Those have the most value. It will be easier to resale the red 289 car over the six cylinder. It is always hard to place a value without seeing the cars but i would put the green GT at $6500-$7500 If it only has minor rust in the normal areas. The red one would be about the same value if it is in nicer condition overall. That puts me in the $13000-$15000 Range."

-----> Thank you for the input and it really does help me out a lot. I have a good idea about what this might end up costing which is what I wanted in the first place. Ill keep you all updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.