Cost of Prep and Paint - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT68Stang View Post
Called around for my 68 coupe and got a quote of 5k for paint prep: sanding all the way down to metal, sheet metal work, and primer. Then ~3k for paint. It includes most supplies and labor. Does that seem to high? Just right? I would do it myself but everywhere I've read seems to say take it to a professional so you don't pay more for mistakes.
Where are you all getting these quotes from? haha Im from Lacey Washington aswel and got quotes for between 10-15k on my repaint so 5 or 6k would be a heck of a lot cheaper. Mine has no rust or body damage and still I've been told by two places now that a paint job will run around this 10-15k range? Anyone else here from Olympia/Lacey area that had a good experience with a paint shop that didn't charge so much?

Last edited by Dylans '66; 01-16-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Dylans '66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylans '66 View Post
Where are you all getting these quotes from? haha Im from Lacey Washington aswel and got quotes for between 10-15k on my repaint so 5 or 6k would be a heck of a lot cheaper. Mine has no rust or body damage and still I've been told by two places now that a paint job will run around this 10-15k range? Anyone else here from Olympia/Lacey area that had a good experience with a paint shop that didn't charge so much?
He's just a local guy I found. Looked at his shop and some work and it looked good. His shop is small only enough room for a paint booth and 3/4 cars in his garage/bay. He is off of Marvin RD before College St and after Ranger Rd. His name is Jeremy
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

$8-$15k seems way high to me. Maybe I just found a great little shop in Nor Cal. I'll have to look how much I paid for the body work, but I think it was $1k or so and it went from rough to straight and less than $5k for paint with stripes, cut buffed and polished.

GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

You can pay just about anything you want for a paint job.....but in realit IMHO, $5k for full prep is about right...if you assume $50 per hour rate, at $5k thats about 100 hours (2.5 weeks)......which for minor bodywork, that is right. With a recommendation...bodywork is really based upon 2 things....paint color & vehicle purpose (show, etc)....while there are 10 classifications of car quality (#1 being a touch/hands free, tire wrapped, show piece/trailer queen), most are looking at a #2 or 3 car....a weekend driver that could have some show potential. Assuming that is what you are looking for, here is a feww suggestions/criteria I would tell the shop so they know the expectations.....

With regard to the hood.....in terms of fit/finish I want it as close to perfect as what is realitisitically possible (this is what catches 99% of peoples eye) and with regards to the rest of the car panels, if a show car is a 10 and oem is a 7, I want the roof to be a 9 and the rest of the panels to be an 8.

This lets them know the expectations & focus
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Raven, your painter sand blasted metal, egad!
rayhicks1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

A gallon of PPG high build catylized primer is over $600. You'd probably need 2. $1200 in just primer. You do the math.
Bucket Lister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT68Stang View Post
He's just a local guy I found. Looked at his shop and some work and it looked good. His shop is small only enough room for a paint booth and 3/4 cars in his garage/bay. He is off of Marvin RD before College St and after Ranger Rd. His name is Jeremy
Awesome! Thanks for the info and im going to go by an see them this summer when its time to paint.
Dylans '66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket Lister View Post
A gallon of PPG high build catylized primer is over $600. You'd probably need 2. $1200 in just primer. You do the math.
wow! I knew PPG was expensive, but never in my wildest dreams! If I remember correctly, I think the SPI 2K was about $150 per gallon.
Yep, just checked it. Just a buck or two shy of $150 for high build and catalyst.
with White LeMans stripes.

Last edited by ScottsGT; 01-16-2013 at 10:37 PM.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
wow! I knew PPG was expensive, but never in my wildest dreams! If I remember correctly, I think the SPI 2K was about $150 per gallon.
Yep, just checked it. Just a buck or two shy of $150 for high build and catalyst.
SPI is a high quality product for a bargain price.
I used SPI epoxy, high build primer and clear coat when I painted the car myself. Base coat was from TCP Global. I had about 800 in paint material.
If you have the desire ,want to learn and the space to do it. I would recommend doing it yourself.
I got quotes of 5-8000 to paint the car with very little metal work needed

Pics and info:
Painting it ourselves
Paint
Paint Booth
http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...0329-1544a.jpg
Father~Son restoration project
A code 66 coupe
289 4v, Roller Rockers, Electric fan
Performer & 650 Edelbrock
MSD ignition
Tri Y into 2.25 Shelby side exhaust
T5 conversion and 3.55 Trac Lok
Hydraulic clutch
CSRP SN95 Discs
66Restomod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket Lister View Post
Wow! You need to find a new supplier...Just checked last week...a gallon of K-38 high build with catalyst is $282.10 plus tax.
66DavesGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.