Cost of Prep and Paint - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cost of Prep and Paint

Called around for my 68 coupe and got a quote of 5k for paint prep: sanding all the way down to metal, sheet metal work, and primer. Then ~3k for paint. It includes most supplies and labor. Does that seem to high? Just right? I would do it myself but everywhere I've read seems to say take it to a professional so you don't pay more for mistakes.
VT68Stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

You might include what area of the country you are in as it is relevant to the cost. That cost looks like it is in the neighborhood of the quote I received from my guy here in Olympia, WA. Mine is a convertible though and I am doing a glass front end so that is adding hours to make the new pieces mate to the body.
BiffStroganoffsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

welcome aboad VMF!

need more details

what do you mean by sheet metal work...this can mean anything to a body shop

Paint....what kind of paint.
Includes most supplies....again what does tha mean or not mean.

any body work, panel alignment (usually they include some of of this work to a point)

you need to get everything up fron and in writing. also need a timeframe as to when they will finish

1993 GT 11,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof. Untouched except for rubber and battery, Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid and new car smell.
Blues Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I received a quote for $1800, Seeing how the owner of the place always comes into where I work and he loves mustangs. not too bad if i do say so myself,
ArmyOfEchoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffStroganoffsky View Post
You might include what area of the country you are in as it is relevant to the cost. That cost looks like it is in the neighborhood of the quote I received from my guy here in Olympia, WA. Mine is a convertible though and I am doing a glass front end so that is adding hours to make the new pieces mate to the body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfEchoes View Post
I received a quote for $1800, Seeing how the owner of the place always comes into where I work and he loves mustangs. not too bad if i do say so myself,
I actually live in Lacey/Olympia close to Yelm HWY and work at the base. How do I get a deal like that Army of Echoes?

I have some rear wheel well rust holes that need patching up and small rust issues on fenders I picked up. And I won't really know the biggest of the sheet issues without getting it all the way down to bare metal again.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

We just talking about a paint job and no rust repair? Does that include disassembly? 5 K for just paint prep seems about right in the middle if no surprises. Any rust repair and paint choice can really inflate the bill so I'd want clarification. For a plain jane paint job plus average paint.... 8K is fair - not cheap but not over the top. Plus add in extra funds for whatever chrome, trim, etc...you will want to replace....hell might as well order that stroker...

1968 Mustang Convertible: Rest/Mod Start Feb 2012 - Ended Sept 2012 with first car show
1964 MGB Restored and supercharged
1991 300zx - a work in progress
277 Photos of this restoration (photobucket)
/ 2013 Walk around video
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...h_IMG_6367.jpg
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...ps254e2155.jpg
ToneMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT68Stang View Post
Called around for my 68 coupe and got a quote of 5k for paint prep: sanding all the way down to metal, sheet metal work, and primer. Then ~3k for paint. It includes most supplies and labor. Does that seem to high? Just right? I would do it myself but everywhere I've read seems to say take it to a professional so you don't pay more for mistakes.
$5k for prep is reasonable. $3k is low if you're expecting good quality paint. Decent paint will cost $1500 just for the supplies.
'70 Boss 302
'84 GT-350 5.0, 5-speed
'91 LX Convertible 5.0, 5-speed
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

I dropped $3K on all materials for my project. I didn't use the big NASCAR/INDY sponsor products (PPG/Dupont) but instead went with Southern Polyurethanes Inc. products. Google their name and check out their products. High end stuff, quite less on price and the owner is on call 24/7 for tech questions.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneMT View Post
We just talking about a paint job and no rust repair? Does that include disassembly? 5 K for just paint prep seems about right in the middle if no surprises. Any rust repair and paint choice can really inflate the bill so I'd want clarification. For a plain jane paint job plus average paint.... 8K is fair - not cheap but not over the top. Plus add in extra funds for whatever chrome, trim, etc...you will want to replace....hell might as well order that stroker...
There is some rust repair but not much (rear wheel wells and a little on the fender) And the front end is all in pieces but the guy said that he wanted the car as is and he would work with it as long as its a roller atleast.

I would buy a stroker but that's a little later in the project!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
I dropped $3K on all materials for my project. I didn't use the big NASCAR/INDY sponsor products (PPG/Dupont) but instead went with Southern Polyurethanes Inc. products. Google their name and check out their products. High end stuff, quite less on price and the owner is on call 24/7 for tech questions.

Check out Scott's paint thread

I think part of the fun, (if you can actually call it that, some days I don't), of have a beat to sheet Rustang is actually doing the work yourself.

I grew up with a 67 and 71, my two favs but also had a 70 and then also a Camaro. In all of these I pulled the engine, had one short block rebuilt, swapped cams, added a 4 barrel, manifold, headers and the obligatory glass packs. Guess I was always into it,..more so cars than girls and or homework.

These cars are so, so, sooooo very easy to work on., try the paint yourself, the most you can fail is having to sand it down again and retry.
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
Israel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would say that is on the cheap side. $5000 in prep, what if he has to change the quarter panel and takes him 40 hours to install it? you could be in 5-6k just changing the quarter. most reputable shops are by the hour and anywhere from 50-95 and hour do the math and a high end panel matching show quality paint job cost you alot
5f08f110832 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you're planning on taking the entire body down to bare metal, there's going to be a lot of surprises. To repair , fill, and perfectly level everything ready to paint in a good shop should cost between $4,000 and $10,000 depending on how rusty and how lumpy. Time=$
Bucket Lister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5f08f110832 View Post
I would say that is on the cheap side. $5000 in prep, what if he has to change the quarter panel and takes him 40 hours to install it? you could be in 5-6k just changing the quarter. most reputable shops are by the hour and anywhere from 50-95 and hour do the math and a high end panel matching show quality paint job cost you alot
If it takes a bodyman 40 hours to replace a QP, find a new shop! LOL!

Now if he finds layer upon layer of rusted panel underneath the QP, that's a different story.

See how things can add up on an old mustang?
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default Figured I'd add my $0.02 ... here's my experience.

I had my 54,xxx mile '70 Mach painted by a local painter, specialized in classic cars. Car had what was left of original paint, had sat outdoors in Georgia since '92.

I took him a stripped body, only thing bolted to body was rear axle and a dolly in front. I had already replaced all floorpans and replaced minimal trunk/quarter rust damage. All other sheetmetal was loose, taken in a truck seperately.

The painter then sand blasted all parts, replaced a door skin prepped,primed,painted all parts the original Raven Black, including the textured-black Mach 1 stripe on hood & rear spoiler. He reinstalled doors, replacing hinge pins/bushings and aligned doors. I then picked up the rolling body and all loose parts (hood, fenders, valances, trunk lid, etc) in my pickup for reassembly myself.

His cost - $7,500. (I actually swapped a 1930 Model A project for the work, which I stole off of craigslist for $3,250 ! But upon picking up the stang, for ****s & giggles I asked what he would of charged, and without hesitation he replied "You'd have been looking at $7,500 all day long!"

So for once, I think that I made out on a deal...
2010 F-350 King Ranch, Crew diesel
2013 Lincoln MKT
RavenBlack1970Mach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

My paint job, with body prep was under $5K. I can't see how it cold have turned out any nicer.

GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.