Engine ticking noise - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Engine ticking noise

I have a 302 that is making a consistent ticking noise that increases in repetition as the rpms increase. I initially thought it was a bad lifter, but after further inspection all the lifters appear in good condition. It is firing on all cylinders, so that also rules out a misfire. When I start the engine the sound almost seems like a hissing sound. The only other thing I can think of would be an exhaust leak, but all the exhaust components appear fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be?
Thanks,
-Brian
onoppositeday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Loose spark plug can also do this. Also, if it's noisiest on the driver's side, front, a fuel pump can make this noise.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Worst case maybe---broken piston skirt.
.................................................. .................... My '70, mildly built 302, 4 spd. w/Hurst shifter, Mallory 6AL, 3.40 gears. Sub-frame connectors/cage. Pro-Stars, 15X7'' & 15X10'' Lowered 2'' all around.. Pic. taken at Horsehead overlook on Skyline Drive, not far from home...
horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I checked the plugs and they're all tight, how would I know if the fuel pump is the issue? Would I remove it then crank it over by hand to see if the sound went away? I sure hope it isn't a piston skirt...
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Remove the pump and see how much slap/freeplay so to speak you have in the pump arm up and down.. Since the pumps off you could just turn it over to see if you still hear any noise. Might just be a noise you will hear only with it running though. May just be the pumps wore out also.

Last edited by horsehead; 01-16-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
Loose spark plug can also do this. Also, if it's noisiest on the driver's side, front, a fuel pump can make this noise.

I've actually had both of these occur over the years. Use a wooden broom stick cut off, or other piece of wood and use it as a stethoscope. Put it right on they fuel pump and listen. The ticking should be loudest there.

I actually replaced a lifter thinking it would solve my problem, turned out to be simply the worn out spring in the fuel pump.

68 GT Vert - J Code (1st car I ever drove in '73, dad bought it in '71)
67 C Code Vert Sports Sprint (1st car I ever bought in '75)
06 Vista Blue with Pony Package (1st Mustang I ever bought new)
MCA #49294 Grayson, GA (Atlanta)
daves67ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

The sound persists with and without the fuel pump, how can I validate that there isn't a leak coming from a spark plug?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Have someone grab a rag and plug the end of the exhaust pipe(s) to see if it changes the noise. If so, you've got an exhaust leak at the manifold, either between it and the head or between the manifold and the head pipe.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

On small aircraft engines, I have a small exhaust leak sound like everything from a tappet to a serious rod knock. More concerning at 9,000 feet. Just a thought.
SWMBO's '66 Coupe 289, 2-V, C-4(Pony Interior, Rally Pac, A/C & Tiffany Stripe) & An absolutely rust free '65 289-2V C-4 coupe project now UPGRADED to about 99.78%. Now only a few more days. Well, since the fuel fire, add about another month to that. SWMBO says it failed the "Smoke Test". Only took 13+ years.
Gas_Pumps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
Worst case maybe---broken piston skirt.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. That or a loose crank bering.. really hope its just an exhaust leak or something easy but I'd get that checked out before whatever it is potentially causes something to fail. If its in the exhaust start your search at the headers and work down. My friend had his header crack right off the engine but it was wrapped which caused the broken half to vibrate against the engine as it ran sounding like a rod knock. His was broken right in half which is why it was so loud but maybe yours has cracked and is still mostly attached causing a ticking sound? Let us know what you find out

-Dylan

Last edited by Dylans '66; 01-16-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Dylans '66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

I took the plugs out one by one and cranked the engine over by hand with the other hand blocking the hole on each removed spark plug with no success in the noise going away, so that rules out the spark plugs, how can I check to see if it's a broken piston skirt?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

One way to maybe check for a broken piston skirt is try this. If you have loud exhaust or a leaking exhaust gasket, etc. you probably won't be able to do this because you have to be able to hear wants going on inside the motor good---but with it running pull one wire at a time and listen carefully to the motor. If you have a broken piston skirt it will sometimes get quieter when you pull off the wire to that cylinder because there's no combustion/downforce etc. going on. Also might want to put on a rubber glove so you don't get the ---- knocked out of you.
.................................................. .................... My '70, mildly built 302, 4 spd. w/Hurst shifter, Mallory 6AL, 3.40 gears. Sub-frame connectors/cage. Pro-Stars, 15X7'' & 15X10'' Lowered 2'' all around.. Pic. taken at Horsehead overlook on Skyline Drive, not far from home...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well, I ran a compression test on the side that the sound that the noise was coming from and here's the results:

#1 173
#2 167
#3 125
#4 163

Then I went back and tested #3 with a little oil in the cylinder and got a reading of 150
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

I did a leakdown test on #3 cylinder today and it's holding zero pressure
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onoppositeday View Post
I did a leakdown test on #3 cylinder today and it's holding zero pressure
When you did the leakdown test did you pay attention to where the air was escaping? Air coming out the carb or exhaust would indicate a problem with a valve sealing. Air coming our the oil filler cap would indicate a problem with cylinder sealing (rings or severe cylinder wall damage) or piston (hole or crack).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.