Possible barn find! - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks VMFers!
Bucket Lister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
Wrong---some of the 70's had the 351W in them. H-code could be a Cleveland or a Windsor.
Right on the money. My 1970 is an H code with a 351w from the factory.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Good luck, I hope it's what you're looking for.
There's a mustang in a barn 1/4 mile up the road from my house. It's supposedly been in there for years but so far I haven't gone to look at it. I know the owner and have asked him about it but since it's a 71-73 (I forget which year) I haven't really been interested. The barn belongs to his elderly aunt. I guess one of these days I need to make arrangements to see it but I don't want to be tempted to buy it lol.
'07 Shelby GT500, black with tungsten stripes
1995 SVT Cobra
http://www.cardomain.com/id/d_ford
Videos of my fastback at https://www.youtube.com/user/ohiofirelt?feature=guide
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0022_large.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/DSC_7381.jpg
doug ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

Here are some places to look for info on decoding the 70 mach I. Aparently there were 96 specially made mustangs of this year so be on the look out for that.

70 Mustang VIN decoder
Hagerty Insurance - Fueling the collector car hobby through insuring and supporting the classics
Classic 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1 VIN Decoder

Here are all the different engine sizes that came in the 1970 mustang mach I model.
The Classic Mustang 1970 Classic Mustang Engines
Dylans '66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

Sorry to butt in and one up you all, but when I met one of my neighbors, I found out his barn has project mustangs in it: two mach 1's, a 68 shelby gt350, and two fastbacks in it. He also owns 3 (or was it 4?) Boss 429's. AWESOME! I've also seen his K code 66 fastback, and his 70 boss 302.

The only problem, he knows what they're worth . Said he was ready to part with the 70 Boss 302. A measly $70K and I could drive it home. For some reason, my wife wasn't on board.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mymachone

I had a barn find one time , I was told about this car and went to this guys house. My first impression was , not good. House run down , kids dirty and needed decent clothing , man was also very messy , not from work either.
I ask him about his 69 mach I heard about and he said yes , come look at it. I went to the barn and sure enough , sitting there on 4 flat tires doors open , hood gone , front windshield gone and pigon crap all over the thing inside and out , The sheet metal was pretty solid but some normal stuff at fenders.
Long story short. I offer the guys what was a great deal at that time , $ 3000,00 cash. This was the late 90's , anyhow . he said no he was going to fix it up some day and would not let it go, Typical response. That guy cared less about his kids , wife or anything , he was all about a dream which I douibt ever happened. Sad.
1967 Triumph 650 Tigar Twin Cycle
2007 Mustang
As Red Green Would Say. If It Ain't Broke , your not trying hard enough
Never give up the ship!

My Web Site
www.myclassicvehicals.webs.com
mymachone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #22 (permalink)

If you wanna get it running bring the correct oil and filter, WD40, a full socket set with a breakover bar, new sparkplugs, a way to bypass the fuel tank and hook up a pump of some kind with a filter.. a battery, and about 2 cans of Valvoline starting fluid and if it's locked up spray WD-40 down the sparkplug holes and turn it over by hand and hope she unlocks.. after that it'll start.. at least it should.. may ask if anyone knows if it had issues when it was parked.. (if you do attempt to take a crack at it)

1967 fiberglass fastback, all aluminum 427 supercharged and racing coilovers all around. "Still waiting to find a sequential manual transmission under 20k "

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...67-600x337.jpg
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

I'm still a long way from seeing this car. I have never met the actual owners. I've got two degrees of separation between me and the owners, but I have unrelated reasons for making contact with them. They are the parents of my son's fishing buddy. The kid saw my '66 notch and he says, "My parents have a 1970 Mach 1 in a barn in XXXXX county." That's all I know at the moment. His parents live five minutes away from me, but we don't travel in the same circles. I don't want to come on too eager. I've got to talk to the kid and get as much of this car's story as I can. Maybe "Dad" has put this car out of his mind. Maybe its a sore point and has some sentimental family value. This is going to take patience and gentle finesse.
As I posted initially, I don't have the work space or budget to start another project car. The best scenario that I can imagine is that the owner would like to see it run again, and is willing to pay for parts. I'd enjoy some mild wrenching, just to hear it run. Who knows?
Bucket Lister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
If you wanna get it running bring the correct oil and filter, WD40, a full socket set with a breakover bar, new sparkplugs, a way to bypass the fuel tank and hook up a pump of some kind with a filter.. a battery, and about 2 cans of Valvoline starting fluid and if it's locked up spray WD-40 down the sparkplug holes and turn it over by hand and hope she unlocks.. after that it'll start.. at least it should.. may ask if anyone knows if it had issues when it was parked.. (if you do attempt to take a crack at it)
Not a chance that i would try this in someone elses barn.

If you can work out a deal on a car like this..... rent a U-haul car dolly and bring two decent 5-lug wheels to put on the back. Also a come-along, winch or tow strap might be needed to drag her out of the stall.
67 'vert 302,4spd,Red/Red (almost ready!)
67 Coupe 289,auto,black/black,deluxe (sold)
67 Coupe I6 to V8 conversion (sold)
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Not a chance that i would try this in someone elses barn.

If you can work out a deal on a car like this..... rent a U-haul car dolly and bring two decent 5-lug wheels to put on the back. Also a come-along, winch or tow strap might be needed to drag her out of the stall.
That's what I did when I found my 65 vert in a garage on a farm. It was under a cover and hadn't been moved for 17 years. I bought it and had a roll off truck pick it up right after I wrote the check. Took it home, drained and flushed everything and got her started.

Here's a couple of pictures after we pulled the cover off. Lot's of TLC and elbow grease and she was on the road again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02208.JPG (70.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02207.jpg (47.9 KB, 20 views)

65 convertible, 289 C code, C4 automatic, Wimbledon white, red interior.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.