Lemans Stripe Options - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lemans Stripe Options

Might be going to look at this car, Im not too keen on colour of the Lemans stripes though, trouble is they are painted on so my options are

1) Keep as is

2) Change the stripes to Hertz gold which I would prefer how easy would it be for a paintshop to paint them gold ? Would it be just a case of masking off the black bits and painting the stripes or would the whole top half need to be painted again for it to blend in ?

Alternatively would it work if I bought the gold transfers and just covered over the current stripes ?

3) Get rid of stripes completely and paint the top half black

Any thoughts would be welcome, Im not totally against the current colour of the stripes but I think it would be a lot better in gold

Thanks

1968fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

This will be of no help and just my opinion ....
The stripes i could live with BUT the white wall tires would drive me to the nearest tire shop and be replaced
fast65ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree that the gold would look better... but that looks like a really nice paint job to be messing with. Don't quote me, but I don't think it's as simple as taping and repainting.

68 coupe with a 351W
Mods: a lot... just ask if you're interested
07 gt
99 Gixxer 750 (When four wheels are too many)
Franks68coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

[quote=1968fb;4357517]Might be going to look at this car, Im not too keen on colour of the Lemans stripes though, trouble is they are painted on so my options are

1) Keep as is
Subtle, a lot less extroverted than, say, white.

2) Change the stripes to Hertz gold which I would prefer how easy would it be for a paintshop to paint them gold ?
Dead easy.

Would it be just a case of masking off the black bits and painting the stripes or would the whole top half need to be painted again for it to blend in ?
Paint, block, buff. Dead easy.

Alternatively would it work if I bought the gold transfers and just covered over the current stripes ?
I have seen such transfers. They suck. It would be a Biblical Miracle if they even cam close, anyway.

3) Get rid of stripes completely and paint the top half black
You would need to paint 3/4 of the car to make this happen.

Any thoughts would be welcome, Im not totally against the current colour of the stripes but I think it would be a lot better in gold
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast65ford View Post
The stripes i could live with BUT the white wall tires would drive me to the nearest tire shop and be replaced
Back in the 60's people too cheap to pay the extra $2 were the only ones running blackwalls. Still a matter of taste- My 66 FB has styled wheels and 3/4" WSW. Came that way from the factory. You could compromise with RWL, though, even though they hadn't yet been invented in 66.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah a paint shop can repaint the stripes. They will just sand them, paint, and blend clear. Much cheaper and easier than a full repaint.
http://youtube.com/jevchance
jevchance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Paint the strpes gold, turn the whitewalls in or better yet swap the style steel wheels for my magnum 500s. That is if you weren't in England.
tooponies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

The stripes aren't the problem, its the wheels & tires! Look at changing the wheels/tires first, then the stripes may grow on you. I know this isn't a real car, but here's almost your exact car on a T-shirt but with Mag500s. It doesn't look too bad.
fastback65gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just my opinion, but this is a car that looks confused to me, with inconsistent looks. It has some attributes of a gt350 clone, some pieces of a GT, some looks of a street driver, some period looks, some modern pieces, some what of a custom, but in total doesn't look good or right.

I would go the stock, street look and add the emblems/trim, swap the tires, add the right center piece in the wheels, replace the gas cap, change the antenna, change the exhaust tips, remove the GT light bar, replace the hood, paint the car all black and eliminate the doo-dads that are undoubtably in the interior.

Simply painting the stripes gold could be done, but would compound the confused look in my opinion.

Last edited by GT350R Klone; 01-18-2013 at 10:30 AM.
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350R Klone View Post
Just my opinion, but this is a car that looks confused to me, with inconsistent looks.
The lad's call is 1968fb. Perhaps it is not just the car that is confused...a match made in England!
BiffStroganoffsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350R Klone View Post
Just my opinion, but this is a car that looks confused to me, with inconsistent looks. It has some attributes of a gt350 clone, some pieces of a GT, some looks of a street driver, some period looks, some modern pieces, some what of a custom, but in total doesn't look good or right.
LOL!! This is exactly what I'm doing to mine. Hope I don't confuse too many of you here!
Mine is a GT, so I'm using the GT side stripes and emblems. No light bar in the grill though.
Shelby hood and side scoops and Lemans stripes. Looking at wheel options too. Leaning heavily to the Magnums or the 17" '66 ten spokes.
Keeping side vent louvers, no windows.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Scott, it is your car and you should do it just the way you want it.

The OP wanted thoughts/opinions on what we thought should be done with the car shown and I provided mine. Based on the owners modifications I generally see on early Mustangs, my opinion is in the minority.
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

My vote? Try not to screw up the paint job THAT much. I'd get rid of the skinny whitewalls for a bit more low-profile tire, whack the tailpipes off before the valance and put on some turndowns, and the only paint work I'd even think about doing would be to delete the "GT" stripes, but the finish looks so good I'd probably delay until it needs another repaint.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

I personally like the color of the stripes (of course, I'm betting some will not like the color my fastback that should be painted later this month [or so the shop that has had my car for over a year says]). I agree with eliminating the tailpipes after the rear valance. I'd spend money on some tires, and maybe new rims. Those stripes might look great with some grey powerdercoated torque thrust or other type of after market rims. But, with that said, I'm betting your Mustang looks better than 98% of the other cars on your side of the pond.
pwrecker0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrecker0 View Post
I'd spend money on some tires, and maybe new rims. Those stripes might look great with some grey powerdercoated torque thrust or other type of after market rims.
+1

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
Rorin67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast65ford View Post
+1 Start with the wheels/tires and see how she looks.
sanch052 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.