66 mustang overheating - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

I had an overheating problem this summer with my 302. I don't have much original on my car and I did not know the history of the motor. I did not have the fan shroud; but I also noticed that there was almost 2 inches between my 4 blade fan and the new radiator.

So,I installed an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator. To do this I had to use spacers and long bolts for the radiator. Now, I get extra air pushing from the front and the 4 blade fan is about 1 inch from the radiator. It seems to keep the temp under control. I have not added the shroud yet; but I still plan to get one.

Good luck on solving your issue.

1965-Mustang-Convertible at driiive
geofferito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclecar Addict View Post
discard the shroud which helps cooling of the engine.
Said no one, ever.

If you do a search on this forum you will find many, many posts on this topic along with many, many suggestions, debates and arguments. Start with the simple things and work from there. It's tough when you don't know the history of the car.

I think it was Bartl that said to pull the radiator and take it to a shop. If your thermostat is working properly and you water pump is pumping water, that would be the next logical step.

1965 Mustang Coupe

www.not2fst.com
09Frank65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I just gotta ask the question...how do you know it's overheating? What are the symptoms? You cannot always trust the stock gauges. If the radiator is overfilled, it will puke on the ground. What is your actual temperature?

68 GT Vert - J Code (1st car I ever drove in '73, dad bought it in '71)
67 C Code Vert Sports Sprint (1st car I ever bought in '75)
06 Vista Blue with Pony Package (1st Mustang I ever bought new)
MCA #49294 Grayson, GA (Atlanta)
daves67ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I take it you haven't had the car long then.So it could have had an over heating problem without your knowlege. A few questions come to mind here. Is the factory fan and shroud still on the car? Some people put on aftermarket fans and discard the shroud which helps cooling of the engine. Second if the car has sat for a while you might want to take out the radiator and have it pressure tested for flow. If any of the passages are clogged it would definitely make it overheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Frank65 View Post
Said no one, ever.

I guess you misunderstood my meaning. I said most people discard the shroud and put aftermarket fan on.the shroud helps cooling of engine but people discard it anyways be it getting broke taking it off or just too lazy to put it back on.
If you do a search on this forum you will find many, many posts on this topic along with many, many suggestions, debates and arguments. Start with the simple things and work from there. It's tough when you don't know the history of the car.

I think it was Bartl that said to pull the radiator and take it to a shop. If your thermostat is working properly and you water pump is pumping water, that would be the next logical step.
I agree as in my second reason for overheating.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess you misunderstood my meaning. I said most people discard the shroud
Quote:
The vast majority of 64-70 Mustangs had no shroud from the factory.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
The vast majority of 64-70 Mustangs had no shroud from the factory.
My 68 fastback had a shroud from the factory. I guess that makes mine a lil more rare to go with my rare bench seat.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

I dont have a accurate temp gauge but i checked the temp with a infrared thermometer and it was up to 200 after a short drive. I also had the cap off to work out some air in the system, had some boil over so i had a bit too much fluid in there but it should be good now. Thanks for the help yall!
coug74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
My 68 fastback had a shroud from the factory. I guess that makes mine a lil more rare to go with my rare bench seat.
170, 200, 289, 302 cars didn't get them unless they had AC or the Extra Cooling option.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
170, 200, 289, 302 cars didn't get them unless they had AC or the Extra Cooling option.
I'l just stop here cause when I tell you i have ac you'l just say somethin else. im done with this thread.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Frank65
Said no one, ever.

I guess you misunderstood my meaning. I said most people discard the shroud and put aftermarket fan on.the shroud helps cooling of engine but people discard it anyways be it getting broke taking it off or just too lazy to put it back on.
Actually I was just messing with you! But I do get your drift. I am one of those that took the fan and shroud off, then took the radiator out and replaced it all with aftermarket aluminum radiator and electric fan.

1965 Mustang Coupe

www.not2fst.com
09Frank65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug74 View Post
I dont have a accurate temp gauge but i checked the temp with a infrared thermometer and it was up to 200 after a short drive. I also had the cap off to work out some air in the system, had some boil over so i had a bit too much fluid in there but it should be good now. Thanks for the help yall!
Depending on your altitude, water does not boil at 200...so you did not have boil over. What you had was expansion and water is pushed out. If you let the water level run about an inch low (and still above the tubes) this will provide the expansion room at the top of the radiator and you should be good to go.

Keep in mind the thermostat controls the minimum operating temperature, not the max. You should be able to run 210 to 220 without any issues.

68 GT Vert - J Code (1st car I ever drove in '73, dad bought it in '71)
67 C Code Vert Sports Sprint (1st car I ever bought in '75)
06 Vista Blue with Pony Package (1st Mustang I ever bought new)
MCA #49294 Grayson, GA (Atlanta)
daves67ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #27 (permalink)

I had a problem with it overheating on the highway. After checking timing, lower radiator hose for collapse, fan clutch and fuel delivery, I brought the brand new Mustangs Unlimited radiator to the radiator shop. They measured 8 fins per inch when it should have 12 - 16 fins per inch. He said it's a common thing now, and many of these overseas radiators have the wrong build specs.
Semi Pro Touring 67 Mustang Convertible * Mild 5.0 EFI * AOD * 68 8" rear end * Aeroform R&P * Open tracker roller perches * Arning Drop * 560 LB 1" lowering front springs * 1.25 front sway bar * Koni front, Grab a track rear shocks * 15x7 Shelby 10 spoke 4.25" BS and 225-60-15 http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=9f637753c1
brianstrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.