Alternator Questions - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Alternator Questions

I had an engine built for my 69 Mustang Mach 1 (351 Windsor) and added a ConceptOne serpentine belt system to the build. This system came with a PowerMaster 1G 105 amp alternator. My car has the original wiring harness and alternator, for which Im uncertain as to the generation of that alternator. My question is, what generation would my car have come factory equipped with and what changes will I have to make to accommodate the new alternator? Thanks
Machspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

You would have the 1G Alternator. The changes depend somewhat on whether you have a gauge or a light. Here are the FAQ from Powermaster...

FAQ-Alternators

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks bartl! I have a factory gauge. How does that prompt change and what would that change be? I'm certain this unit puts out more than my old alternator....don't want to fry anything.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

The included alternator in the Concept One kit is NOT a 1G alternator. It IS a 1-wire alternator. Meaning it simply connects to the battery's positive cable for charging and does not connect to any external harness or voltage regulator.

If your gauge cluster includes an ammeter you must disconnect/bypass it or you will burn the cluster up with that alternator. Better yet, convert the ammeter to a voltmeter (www.autoinstruments.com) or stick aftermarket gauges in your dash.
StrokerDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

You are correct, strokerdude.....I just went back and looked at that. I've been reading too much and had 1G and 3G on the brain.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think I'd worry about your existing ammeter. For one, it's not in series with the loads on the battery or alternator and, two, it's really just a voltmeter connected in series to measure voltage drop. After all, it survives periods of prolonged cranking, which can draw in excess of 150 amps without blowing up. You will probably need an accessory harness to hook it up though.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Actually, I've been doing some study and the consensus is to not even attempt to utilize the amp meter with a 1 wire alternator. Two individuals reported expensive dash fires by attempting to use that amp meter. Below is a link regarding that discussion. What they suggest is to wire in a fusable voltmeter, which makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input guys, most insightful.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...or-hookup.html

Last edited by Machspeed; 01-23-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.