Non-Eleanor? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

OK, flame suit on, I'll be blunt.

IMHO Le Mans stripes are the current version of '90s resale red. 75% of the '65-'68 paint jobs I see done in the last five years sport'em, from the lowliest T-code coupe on up to real GTs. Nothing inherently wrong with Le Mans stripes (well, maybe on T-code coupes), despite the fact that they weren't that commonly seen on early Shelbys and weren't offered at all in '67 or '68. Nothing wrong with a red car, either, but when every bloody car on the planet got painted red, regardless of whatever interesting color it may have had originally, it got more than a bit tiresome.

Build what you want, it's your car, but have some imagination beyond the fad d'jour. Want graphics? Do rocker/GT stripes, do a CJ hood, do the '67 striped hood, do the offset pace car/rally stripe, C-stripes, etc., etc., etc.- there's a whole world of options. Yeah, nothing wrong with red, but when they're all red they definitely lose something.

/flamesuit off

Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesom-O View Post
If he doesn't put stripes on it, it will be just like yours. There is no such thing as original, and when something original comes along, someone else that likes it naturally does it to emulate. Seriously though, this is not an attack on you, so please don't take it as that. This forum is full of opinions, and many are good. But they are just that, opinions.
No offense taken or even intended by my initial post... If you noticed at the end of my post I said do what you like. My point was that there are plenty of cars out there that have non factory Shelby style stripes on them. Especially in the restomod community.

Do what makes you happy. You ask a forum for suggestions, you'll get 'em.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GTCoupe View Post
Unless it's a real Shelby, don't put the stripes on it. Everyone puts stripes on a Mustang these days. That alone would make it original...
Quote:
Originally Posted by datac View Post
IMHO Le Mans stripes are the current version of '90s resale red. 75% of the '65-'68 paint jobs I see done in the last five years sport'em, from the lowliest T-code coupe on up to real GTs. Nothing inherently wrong with Le Mans stripes (well, maybe on T-code coupes), despite the fact that they weren't that commonly seen on early Shelbys and weren't offered at all in '67 or '68.
All true! I remember back in the day LeMans stripes were rarely seen. Most were dealer installed. In the 70's suddenly they were added to every Shelby in sight. Then Mustangs.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
Step back and think about the ridiculousness of this.

You like a colour, but are hesitant to paint it because 1 in god knows how many people (no, not everyone watches car movies) might think it looks similar to a car in a movie.
No, not because it looks like some movie car, but because would look like 100 other cars at car shows. Imagine if your wife showed up at a party, and another woman wore the exact same dress.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GTCoupe View Post
No offense taken or even intended by my initial post... If you noticed at the end of my post I said do what you like. My point was that there are plenty of cars out there that have non factory Shelby style stripes on them. Especially in the restomod community.

Do what makes you happy. You ask a forum for suggestions, you'll get 'em.

Ok good. Cause I really didn't want to come off sounding like I was jumping on you or your opinion. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
No, not because it looks like some movie car, but because would look like 100 other cars at car shows. Imagine if your wife showed up at a party, and another woman wore the exact same dress.
You care too much about what other people think. It's YOUR Car. YOU have to live with it. Who cares how many other cars look like it?!

Edit: You do realize there are a LOT (thousands of times) more stock looking mustangs than there are Eleanor and Eleanor-derivatives, correct?

....Especially at a car show. Your stock mustang will look like 300 other cars at the car show.

Last edited by JohnnyK; 01-25-2013 at 09:15 PM.
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

I too really like many things about the Eleanor model. I thought the color scheme was striking, but I wanted something different. So I went with a dark silver body with light silver Le Mans stripes. I have never seen that combination, maybe someone has it, but I have not seen it. I built what I wanted, not exactly a Shelby, not an Eleanor, just.... what I wanted.
jerrys67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesom-O View Post
Ok good. Cause I really didn't want to come off sounding like I was jumping on you or your opinion. Thanks for the reply.
To be honest, I wan't sure you were referring to my post since I wan't the only one to post that. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to these cars. My pet peeve is Shelby stripes on non-Shelbys, especially coupes. Just me though.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

Well I quoted your post, but I was referring to everything in general. If everyone did what they wanted with their car to content their own heart rather seek affirmation and acceptance from others I truly think they would be happier and less disappointed people.

I don't really get pet peeves about nicely built cars, especially Mustangs. Rather than bitch about how something looks, or how in-correct a part number may be, if blood, sweat and tears and money was dumped into a project, I try to admire the efforts, regardless of how "I" would have done things perhaps differently. The only time I get a pet peeve is when a clueless or deceptive person does a mod to try and pass something off that it isn't to those less informed. Which in reality is a personality pet peeve and not a car pet peeve.
Would I paint Lemans stripes on a regular 67 fastback? No. Would I on a Shelby or Eleanor clone,.. Most definitly. Again only my worthless opinion. Cheers.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.