Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Just another 50 yr old, rusted pile!!

156K views 603 replies 106 participants last post by  subpar63 
#1 ·
Finally,....I am finally able to post some pictures of the 67 coupe that I've been working on for the past year or so. The idea of posting pictures along the way seemed cool and fun enough, but hey,...how the crap do you post pictures on a forum.

Photobucket,..what is that, never hear of the guy. Oh its not a guy, but some website that actually allows yo to post and host pictures that can then be downloaded to a Mustang forum, who'd though such a thing was possible,...damn, I really need to get into the "now"!

So OK, I now have the desire to post pictures, I understand that it can be done, but just where do I gain/obtain/secure this knowledge? It appears to be some sort of secret, unobtainable to me information, passed down from friend to friend, father to son,..whatever. Just how do I gain entrance into this picture posting club, is there a monthly meeting, a secret handshake, a particular wave to let others in the club know that you are also a member?

Thanks to many on this board I am finally able to say that I am a member of this club, still don't know the secret handshake or wave, but I'm finally able to post up some pictures,..whoo hooo!

#3 ·
6th or 7th I'm sure,..just excited about finally being able start a build trhread!:thumbsup:

#596 ·
6th or 7th I'm sure,..just excited about finally being able start a build trhread!👍
I got the same input from my "X"!
She's long gone, but I still enjoy the car and it doesen't give me any attitude!
Plus, she got fat, ugly and disabled herself, due to bad driving abilities!
Meanwhile, my Mustang just got refurbished and much better looking all around!
Ya know what really spurs my rib-cage, is when a guy is expected to sell his pride & joy to get married!
Then 6 years, down the road, he's in debt up to his ass, 2 kids to feed, working his ass off to make the bills, the wife is cheating on him and threatening to "take him to the cleaners", and all this after giving up his car! FOR WHAT. - grief!?
Word to the wise, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR CAR (OR ANYTHING ELSE) to get married. If you can't afford both, the car is your best bet and cheaper, in the long run, too! 🤔
How many times have you heard this, or similar, story?
Only this isn't a story at all, it really happened, in part anyway!

#4 ·
Specific thanks go out to Kell H, GypsyR and mjb1032.

For those not really interested in the whole background, perosonal bio, build up here, jump straight to the pics, they'll be up soon.

So a little background info, saw my first Mustang at a pretty young age, throwing my paper route I saw a really cool car that made me stop and check it out for a pretty good while, as soon as I got home, I asked my dad to drive me back over to it and tell me what kind of car it was.

Don't remember the year, but it was a 64 - 68 Coupe, black, Gabriel Hi Jackers, traction bars, Cragars, 60's series fat rubber in the rear and glass packs as I was to learn later; rember this was late 70's, trust me all you young guys, these were all obligatory add ons back in the 70's and 80's!:thumbsup:

Dad told me about the car and at that very moment I knew what my first car was going to be. For whatever reason, there was a Fastback not very far from the Coupe that really did nothing for me, for me it was the Coupe or bust.

During this same time period I went to stay with friends in Texas for a few weeks, they were a few years older and took me to my first Cruise Area, I had never heard of such a thing,..Holey crap, there more cool than I can remember seeing in my whole life, I was in heaven! When I returned home I promptly when out to the old work truck and removed the carb, for a rebuild job,...of course I had no idea what I was doing,..Dad to the rescue, he had to show me how to clean it up and rebuild it. Note to self it actually helps to know what you are doing and have parental advice before performing unplanned and unsupervised engine work.:shocked:

Damn was I suprised to find out that right here in my own back yard, we had our own Cruise Area, the Lakefront,..again I was in heaven. Dad took me out there a few times,..pretty cool dad, only 20 years older with a 55 Chevy and 62 Vette as prior cars when he was younger, he fully understood!

Fast forward 5 years or so and I bough my first car 67 coupe, had that a year or so, did all of the above mentioned cool add-ons,..then got hit by an old lady,..totalled car. You've maybe never seen a 17 year old kid cry so hard.

Next car was going to be a Mustang, this time a 71 Coupe, did all the same cool add-ons, this time added a Holley manifold and 4 barrel set up,..bam, it wasn't very long before I was hit again,..another totalled car!:crybaby: More crying.

After that I went through a few more cars, Vette, Camaro, adding all of the previously cool add-ons but adding more each time as my expience grew, cams, shift kit.

As time went on, I kinda out grew the grease monkey stage, went to college, Sheriff's Office, Marine Corps, married, kids, hot rods were the last of my concerns or interests. Long story short, a year or so ago my son, 14, was looking through an old scrapbook of past cars,.."Dad, these old cars were yours?! Man are they're cool looking, you never told me you used to be cool".

Hummmm, maybe he's ready for a little hot rodding himself. Lemme start looking into first gen Mustangs,...Holey crap, these things are expensive, back in the day I got my 67 for $600.00 in GREAT condition, now that'll cost you $5,00 plus and all you get for $1,500 is a project beater. Mom wasn't real eager to see me dragging home a big ole pile of SHEET, she never knew me back in the day when I had one hand under the car at all times and grease under each and every fingernail.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the interest, don't be expecting to much, at this point we're slowly breaking it down and building a rosissiere to cut out further rust panels.

It'll take a while to actually catch up to that time frame from when we roadtripped to find this crapola on wheels and why it was picked:shocked:eek:ver other local offerings,.....hopefully some don't get bored with all of the minor detals leading up to the purchase of what we bought. Either way I think It'll make a fun story,...I hope:thumbsup:

We were taking pics and documentig them all along the way, from leaving home, to finally arriving a whopping 15 hours away for this "50 yr old pile".

Hopefully it'll be enjoyed,....I allways like reading the personalized, detailed thread builds myself,....we'll see,...thanks for reading and posting

#9 · (Edited)
Ok, so it looks as if at least one Mustang out there has got to be calling us by name,..."Dude, over here, pick me, pick me. I'm beat up and crappy looking,.. but hey, what cars that are pushing 50 years old aren't ?!".

The more I start thinking about such an undertaking, the more hesitant I become, I haven't turned a wrench in years, hell, I don't even know where all of my toola are. Each time I look for something it sems to have made it way out to the backyard and been left for days in the rain and sun,...kids, gotta love them. At least one of them hasn't yet taken the fuel injection off of my car to tune it up, clean it, whatever,.....:shocked:

I've had compay cars for the last twenty years, I do no maint myself on them at all, don't even put air in the tires,.. do I still remember how to do any of this stuff, do I really wanna go back to cleaning grease from under my nails every night. At almost fifty years old, I can only imagine the work that'll be needed on these cars. I don't know how weld, replace wiring, do bodywork or paint, the most of what I did was engine swaps, headers, carb / manifods, cams, shift kits, etc. All of my old hot rods were still pretty new and in good condition, all that was needed to do was the FUN speed based add-ons. How was I gonna be ale to do all of this stuff, hot rodding is about doing it yourself, plus paying to farm this out will be super high expensive,...:shrug:

I started to cruise many of the Mustang forums and found the super cool, Vintage-Mustang forum, what a stroke of luck. There are actually others who have done this type of work, while there are still others currently in the process,..ain't the web a great invention?! From what I read, MIG-ing isn't very hard, most all needed replacement parts are available, and there are numerous DVD's available for help, not to mention the super fast help with questions that is available here,...what a nice family.

We start looking, one beat up Rustang here we come,..."Keep calling to me Rustang, I'm getting closer, I promise you that we'll find you,...I promise!! ".

From the start I need to clarify just what we're looking for, 67 coupe with mostly a good exterior and little rust. Plans call for a Pro Street build up,...Damn am I old or what. This is the car that I always wanted back in highschool but couldn't afford. Back haf car, 460 with a 6-71, 9 inch with 411's, 12 point cage, Center Lines,..get the picture, a waaaay old school build up.:thumbsup:

Beacause of all the above mentioned mods, there are things that I don't need or want in the car that we'll be buying. Motor, trans and rear end are coming out, back frame will be removed, as will the gas tank and flooring from the rear of the front seats back to the bumper, tubs will replace the back seat. This is a weekend only toy, so I don't need AC, heat or power anything,...hummmm, looks like we're really just looking for a shell of a car, the exterior,...because of this I won't be paying a lot I hope.:0/

I'm hoping that we can snag something for under $1,000 for sure, closer to $500 ish will be good, bottom line is that I know the plans for the car, what will be removed, so there's not any reason to pay for things that will just be taken out,...seems fair and clear enough,...we'll just see about that,.....

THE HUNT IS OFFICIALLY ON!!

#10 · (Edited)
It's been a pretty long time since I went car shopping for any kind of muscle era car, so I guess we'll start with the standard ebay and kinda get a feel for what's out there and at what price. Doesn't take long to find out that like most things, everyone that has a shell, just what we're looking for, thinks that theirs is so totally different and unique as to make it super collectible,...:0/ Plus like many if not all auctions, people seem to get caught up in the buying frenzy, bidding for cars that aren't really worth what they are willing to bid at that moment.

Every time I do see an offering that looks interesting, at the last moment all hell beaks loose and the prices sky rocket. Being new at the Ebay game I understand now how to play,....pretend that you have zero interest in whatever you're bidding on until the last moment, then place an auto bid with your preset highest bid.:thumbsup:

At the same time I start checking out Craigslist,...you'd be amazed, maybe not, just how many seller take the time to list and detail a car's good pooints then don't bother to include a photo or numerous photos,...call or email for pictures,..WTF:shocked: There are also those that don't respond, if you've sold the car no problem,...how about just taking down the listing.

CL is fine but damn it just takes up waaay to much time to search every area city by city,...auto tempest to the rescue, it scans all listings, CL, ebay, whatever, and you can narrow the field down to a VERY specific search area, price, year,..again whatever. Area and price were to most critical, type in 67 with a price max of $1,000 and search, what comes back is awesome, cars throughout the country that fit my needs as far as price, condition is another thing. Again I run into a lot of sellers that are totally misinformed as to just what they have,..what they have is a shell of a car, sometimes not even all there, what they think they have is a Shelby shell.

Alrighty now,.....we may be in luck, after six months or so of searching and calling, I see a CL for a 67 parts car, $500.00 OBO,..hmmmm, OBO, he really wants it gone. I have to email for a few pictures, again why not just show what it it that you are offering?! I ask for many, multiple shots from many, multiple angles, in this day of digital pics, they're not costing anything, so just get crazy and flood my email with a crapload of pics,...LEMME SEE JUST WHAT YOU HAVE.

What come back is one single picture,..not bad looking but really not much to go on at all. It does look HOT though.

#11 ·
u know Israel its not cool to build up suspense and than just leave us hanging, i had to take a second look for that next page button but nothing there, whats the deal any updates, i wannna see more, good story too, i wonder how many kids dream about owning mustangs, i know when i came to canada in 97 there was a white pony parked outside my building (it was the 94-98 sn95 body style) and at the time i knew nothing about them (i was 8) but boy did i know at the time and moment what car i wanted to own, and as i became a teen i wanted a fox body cus each one that would pass me in my car would rumble the shiiiet out of my suzuki, but knew damn right noone was going to insure me under 1000 bucks a month, and now im in my early 20s and i end up with a 66, i never ever in my wildest dream think i was going to own one of these ponies but boy am i ever happy i do, they trully are 50 years worth of dreams/goals for many!

#13 ·
Not sure if anyone would catch the hot comment.

The one picture that the seller did manage to email me looked pretty good for a $500 OBO parts car, but I wanted to be sure and asked for a few other shots from many different angles. Told him just what I had in mind, what I was looking for and to take a bunch of pics, as many as he could and email them to me so I could be sure as to just what I was looking at. I assured him that I wasn't going to be upset if he flooded my addy with pics.

I get this in return,....

Two pictures,......??! Dude are you kidding me, you're in KS, I'm in LA, the car looks like what I'm looking for, but I don't wanna drive waaaay up there to see something in person that I didn't count on when looking at just these three pictures.

Lets try the direct appraoch and ask for the specific areas that I want to see.

Can you take a few pictures of the interior or whats left of the interior,...the rear floor will be replaced, cowls all leak, so just show me whats there.

What about the rear can u snap a few shots of the quarters, are the quarters banged up, rusted, even there,..tell me.

How about specific damage, just take some shots of the damaged areas. This might be a better approach, just tell what all thats bad about the car, whats rusted, smashed, missing, bent, again, the car looks good, but I'll be pizzed if I drive up there and see anything that I wasn't expecting.

Mostly afraid of front frame rot, rocker rot, roof rot, anything more that the usual quarter panel rust and other expected hit and miss damage from almost 50 yr old car.

Seller says that he'll round up some pictures and get them over to me.

One week goes by, he's still working on the pics, another week, still no pictures,..dude WTF??!! Whatever, time to move on, sounds like this car has damage or rust that he doesn't want to actually point out to someone, but mabye he'll feel bad about not pointing it out to me after such a long azz drive up there to see it, and he knows I'll see..what!!??

But its only a $500.00 parts car, why is he calling it a parts car, all the parts cars that I've come across all have something missing, something's not there,...doors, fenders, hood, trunk, something always been removed already, or smashed. All of the car seems to be there, I don't wanna come right out and ask why he selling it so cheaply, buy why? It appears to be a solid project car not a parts car.

Whatever, somethings appears to be up, lets just move on and keep looking. Nothing to see here folks, lets keep it moving, please keep it moving, everything OK, nothing to see here.:0/

#14 ·
Fast forward to a week or so later,..phone rings, "Hey, I've got some pics of the Mustang if you're still interested."

Ok, we talk about the damage to the car:

the hood is a little curved under in the font
the floor is rusted, theres no interior
theres a quarter size rust hole on the driver rear wheel well
theres a beer can size rust hole on the pass rear wheel well
some small rust bubbles, no holes, around the driver rear wheel well

All of this sounds do-able for a 50 yr old car, especially for what I have in mind for it. We agree on $400.00 and I tell him to hold it for me, we'll be up there this Saturday afternoon.

Once I look at the pictures, I see that hes right on, if anything he's understated the damage as far as the small rust bubbles and the quarter sized rust hole:

#15 · (Edited)
We live in New Orleans, the car is a 15 hr drive north,..damn, thats a long azz drive, but the car is just what we're looking for, $400.00 is a steal and my co-pilot and I get to spend time together on a pretty cool super road trip.

The plans call for us leaving after work, packing clothes, picking up a U-haul trailer, getting road trip supplies and getting on the road ASAP.

If we leave, around 7:00 pm ish, we'll get up there around 9:00 - 10:00 in the morning, load it up, take care of the paperwork at the notary and be back on the road. A major catch if that we can't stop to sleep and still be up there before the notary leaves Sat afternoon,...so the plans call for much Mt. Dew and 5 hr energy drinks. Co-pilot gets to sleep, benefits of being a 14 yr old kid. :0/

Buckle up Tanner, we've got a road trip to make, "lets hit it dad!!".:pirate:

#20 ·
OK, so off from work, run over to U Haul, quick stop at Walmart for roadtrip supplies then we hit the road.

#16 ·
OK, suspense is killing me.

1) Does it have a motor?
2) transmission?
3) Suspension?
4) Axle?

You know, the fundamentals.

With my feeble experience I can tell you that you are going to replace a lot of sheet metal and anything that was ever supposed to be rubber.

If you wanted a project, that car would be it.

#17 ·
OK, suspense is killing me.

1) Does it have a motor?
2) transmission?
3) Suspension?
4) Axle?

You know, the fundamentals.

With my feeble experience I can tell you that you are going to replace a lot of sheet metal and anything that was ever supposed to be rubber.

If you wanted a project, that car would be it.
No motor or trans, suspension and rear yes, but even those will be replaced. :shocked:

Plans call for a blown 460 with a C 6, back half car,..not much will be saved / used other than what we bought, pretty much just looking for a shell. This'll be a very old school, Pro Street, weekend toy:thumbsup:

#18 ·
Damn that's a long way to go to get a car! Looks like a nice start. For what you have planned. How long do you plan till its finished? Double it lol best of luck,I have been fixing mine for 21 years and hope to finish it soon.i have changed the motor. 5 times 3 transmissions rear end 2 times but plan to change motor this spring trans and rear end in the fall.the hardest part is knowing when to stop and enjoy it .good luck Larry

#19 ·
the hardest part is knowing when to stop and enjoy it.

Not sure just what you're talking about,....are you saying that there is actually a point where you get to stop, the work is all done and all you have to do is enjoy the fruit of your hard labor, I don't believe you, Blasphemy! :loco:

#21 · (Edited)

Supplies bought, route mapped out, we're loaded up and ready to go,..I have no idea what 5 hr energy tastes like, but this is one helleva trip,..we'll be able to give first hand feedback on this product very soon. Yes that's Mt Dew mixed in with the 5 Hr energy,.."We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there,....." you know the rest.

#23 ·
Work with me now,....

My copilot didn't feel the need for quite the documentation of our trip as I did,..."Dad, lets just get going, they know what sandwiches and drinks in an ice chest look like,...you're embarassing me,. people are looking at us!"

"Just one more shot Tanner, turn the Pop Tarts a little more to the right."

"Crap dad lets go!!!"

#26 ·
Ok, so its 9:00 and we finally hit then road, so far the co-pilot is holding up fine, bedtime is usually around 10:00 ish, but we're on a super cool road trip, talking about whatever.

Coupla hours into the trip, first gas stop and he's still wide awake, totally enjoying the dad / son time.

Second stop and I've still got a co-pilot

"Houston,..we have a problem."

Little bit after we pull out onto the road and I'm driving solo, sunrise is nowhere in sight and the fun of this roadtrip is just beginning.

#27 ·
Driving solo really sucks, especially at night,...pretty much doing whatever I can to stay awake, Mt Dew and I are on a first name basis and have been for the last coupla hours,...look down at my watch and I've been up for 24 hrs now,...5:30 am.

24 hrs and we're still nowhere close to being there, probably got another 8 hrs or so,...TIME TO PULL OUT THE BIG GUNS.

5 hr energy and the smell of a 13 yr old boy's feet,...hopefully that'll keep me wired for a while longer:shocked:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.