Paint inside of cowl - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Paint inside of cowl

I am hoping to paint the inside of my cowl (67 convertible) in the next day or two. I will be using Eastwood Internal Frame Coating. Does anyone know a good trick to tape up/close off the openings on top of the cowl so I don't ruin my paint. Otherwise the taping looks very slow and tedious.
Thanks
Ivan
racquetballguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sometimes, slow and tedious is nec. Each piece on the external vent grilles is rounded off. If you went straight across in your masking, and started blasting from the end of cowl or though the opening where a high hat was, without proper masking, you would have overspray on them.
How are you going to do it? Is your apparatus capable of going around the highhats? Or, spraying the back side of the top?
Have done that procedure, twice without removing lid. Of necessity is either the driver side fresh air vent or removal of heater, or both.
Once I got a light inside to get a good view, there was some rust.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

My body shop did a great job of getting it painted the body color. I'm not sure the exact method they used. I've also seen where it's been painted black.
Stan
President BAMA 2012-
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

you'd better hope (assuming your gonna try to tape the cowl "fins") that the shop did a good job prepping or the tape might pull paint off. how about coating the painted surfaces with wax- leave it on- don't wipe off until painting is done. You could insert the "wand" at the cowl drain (right and left side behind the fender) Also a good place to look inside at the cowl hats
dzahm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used a metal flux brush to paint as much as I could reach from the vents, hats, end access holes, etc. The metal flux brush had a metal handle so I could bend it to get up in the nooks and crannies. Did an ok job for rust prevention, I'll leave the color painting to the painter when he does the whole car.
Jon
1967 Coupe 333ci CandyApple Red w/red int., AOD, 9" 3.50:1, Front PDB
'09 Warriors In Pink V6 w/glass roof - wife's Stang
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for your replies. Dzahm, do you mean just plain body wax? Had thought about trying to use Vaseline but wax would probably be better. And then it

I attached my wand to a piece of 12 gauge insulated copper wire - household electrical wire - so I have flexibility and stability of the wand. Seems I can get the wand everywhere like that.

After taping everything, thought I'd put a small hole in the vent tape and spray straight up. Then use the wiper hole in the middle of the car and shoot to both sides and finish from the drain ports. I think with my wand setup I will have control and be able to spray everywhere.

Ivan
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have also wondered about using modeling clay or play doh to fill the gaps between the fins - Any thoughts?
Ivan
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah I was thinking body wax- but vaseline and playdoh sound like viable options as well.
dzahm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just got done doing this on my already nicely painted FB. Go to Lowes and buy either white or black appliance epoxy spray can. Put a spray nozzle on it that takes a tube. I used one from a carb spray can. The straw/ tube lets you focus the paint without getting any on the fins or outside. My car is light blue so went with the white epoxy. I sprayed it and it covered every nook and cranny in the cowl....it was running out of the drain hole. The epoxy is very very hard and super durable.
Torkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.