Engine removal - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Engine removal

Going to do a full up detailing of the engine and undercarriage this winter. Pulling the motor, tranny, exhaust, and rear end...putting her up high on blocks and detailing the undercarriage, engine bay, etc. Will put the engine on stand and get her looking pretty.

So, two questions:
1. Would you recommend pulling the engine and tranny in one piece and installing it back the same way?
2. Once the drive train is out, what mx/part replacements would you do while it is all out...stock 65 289 auto C4.
Torkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

You can pull them whichever way you feel more comfortable. It's usually easiest to pull them together, but you'll need a load leveler for the engine hoist so that you can change the angle of the engine/tranny combo as you lift it out.

As far as parts to replace, as long as the engine is running fine and not burning oil, the internals should be fine. You could always pull the bearing caps and check the bearings while everything is accessible. If you have any oil leaks, definitely fix those while the engine is out. Since you have an automagic tranny, it's probably a good idea to change out the front pump seal - it's cheap and easy and the rubber tends to harden over time. I would also check the conditions of the front crankshaft seal and the rear main seal - if they are leaking or hard, replace them. You could also change out the oil pump, but as long as you have good oil pressure there's probably no need to do it.

If it were me, I would probably tear the engine down to some extent and inspect the internal components like cam lobes, lifters, etc. but that is probably overkill for a lot of people - I would only do it if the engine has a lot of mileage on it. If you can, do a compression test before you pull the engine. As long as it's good, your piston rings should be fine. If compression is all over the place between cylinders, you might consider honing the bores and re-ringing the pistons.
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd2caa40.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

1. Would you recommend pulling the engine and tranny in one piece and installing it back the same way?
Yes.

2. Once the drive train is out, what mx/part replacements would you do while it is all out...stock 65 289 auto C4.
Everything should be based on condition. But, at a minimum, I'd expect the trans cooler lines, choke lines, fuel lines, and vacuum lines to need replacing.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've always found it easier pulling them together. If it isn't broken, don't fix it, but certainly a good time to check the radiator, oil pan gasket, rear main seal,water pump etc. good project, post pics of your progress.
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

If engine and engine bay detailing is what you hope to accomplish, you may be getting carried away. Cleaning and painting is very doable without pulling the power pack. Remove plug wires. Bag and mask as much as possible. Steam clean. Brush and wipe. Air brush paint, etc. This is the standard way its done. You may do more damage pulling and replacing the engine than you would otherwise.
Much trouble comes from fixing things that aren't broken!
Bucket Lister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Don't roll the body on it's side and drop the engine out Like the previous owner of my 67 FB. It tends to warp the body panels.
wyominggaswell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket Lister View Post
If engine and engine bay detailing is what you hope to accomplish, you may be getting carried away. Cleaning and painting is very doable without pulling the power pack. Remove plug wires. Bag and mask as much as possible. Steam clean. Brush and wipe. Air brush paint, etc. This is the standard way its done. You may do more damage pulling and replacing the engine than you would otherwise.
Much trouble comes from fixing things that aren't broken!
I disagree. If you are cleaning a driver, fine. But real engine compartment detailing requires removing the engine. I dunno what the standard way is, but the guys at Glazier/Nolan, responsible for countless trophies, remove the engine.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

If you decide to do it with the engine in place make sure you have plenty of band aids, could not imagine trying to perform that with the engine in place.
Another Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
I disagree. If you are cleaning a driver, fine. But real engine compartment detailing requires removing the engine. I dunno what the standard way is, but the guys at Glazier/Nolan, responsible for countless trophies, remove the engine.
I have to agree. Touching up the engine bay maybe but if you want a real quality outcome the engine should come out.

69 Mach 1 H-code 418W/TKO600/Holley Terminator EFI/RMP Front Coil-Over/TCP Manual R&P/3.70 Auburn Pro/Global West SFC-5 Leafs-Del-A-Lum/Koni's/Magnaflow 2.5 X pipe

Build pictures:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/chillininnh/
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Definitely much easier with the engine out... HOWEVER, I'll put down a $20 that once the engine's out you'll find one thing after another to dig into and before you know it, the rear axle will be off the car.

It takes TREMENDOUS will power for me to see that next thing I could take off and clean up, step away and say, not this time. There may be no reason for you not to dig deep, my goal however is to have the car running every summer and do work during the winter which definitely calls for limits.

This fall I needed to replace a dead cam/lifter. Some guys said "do it with the engine in the car" others said "pull it". Well I "pulled it" and as a result I just this week stopped at entire front clip/engine removal THEN found an issue that might cause me to dig into transmission/driveshaft removal, oh heck while I'm at it might as well take care of those torque boxes and I'm not even listing all the engine work I'm doing "while it's out..."

I'm having the time of my life, but I love the process. You may be different. Love to hear which way you go!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've pulled both ways depending on what I'm doing. One tip if you pull both engine/tranny together - put the rear tires up on ramps to give you a better angle - you don't have to tilt the "package" as much get it out.

Off topic comment - chillininnh - you're '69 has a wicked stance! Love it.
Markh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

This is mostly personal preference. I prefer to pull them/install them together, mainly because I don't like working in confined space under the car.
That being said, it's much easier to lift the engine out of the bay when there is no transmission attached.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

I agree with Aaron-i was in the same position 2 months ago-was all set to just spruce up everything in place, then a friend with a lift/stand volunteered to help, so we did it. I am STILL doofing around with stuff now that everythings out-i replaced the rear main seal (twice until i found a cool trick), tranny gskt, oil pan gasket, modulator, v.c. gaskets/covers, u-joints, refin. e.m.'s etc. It is fun to do with my kids, and i am learning a TON, but just be prepared for the "while i'm at it" syndrome and for me being humble and asking questions to all the stuff i didn't know. (NO WAY i could have done it without all the positive assitance from the people here). Should have it all back in next month and it will look WAY better than it did before, so i think i'll be glad i did it in the end-but then again its cold and rainy here in WA state so there's not much else to do in the winter!!
john
jperry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

I can pull the engine/trans in my Mustang in about 2 hours.... my opinion is it's a no brainer to pull it out for detailing if you really want to do a good job.
Tom
A Custom HD RoadKing...and too many Vintage Sleds to count...
Renegade600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the great input. I think based on all these comments I will pull the engine and tranny as one. The exhaust all the way out and the entire rear end to include the gas tank. Only thing left will be the front suspension which is a job for another day.

Plan on sanding down the engine bay and painting satin black.
With the car up on 3 foot blocks, take a grinder with a wire wheel on it to the underside and then follow up with epoxy paint and then black satin.
Detail rear end, springs, drive line.
New gas tank.
New gas line front to back.
New brake lines.
Put motor on stand and detail, paint, make real pretty!
Detail tranny.
Replace all rubber, seals, gaskets, etc. that I can while it is out.
Put everything back together again.

This will be my winter project...back on the road in April/May.

Will post pics along the way.
Torkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.