Borgeson install... - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Borgeson install...

So how hard is it? Is this something that a relative newcomer can manage, or is this something that should probably be done by somebody who is experienced?

For the record my plan is to go from shot manual steering with a stock column and grant wheel (lots of play, etc) to borgeson power steering with an ididit tilt column and a lecarra wheel.
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I put one in my 68. Everything was a snap until I got to mounting the Saginaw pump on the front of the engine. Because I have my alternator on that side, the pump had to go below it. The mounting bracket from Borgeson doesn't fit in that position so I had to modify the bracket which was a hit and miss deal. Had I opp't for a Ford pump (much much cheaper) and had Borgeson build the hoses to match the install I would have been dollars ahead and had a much soother install. If you have nothing on the left side of the engine then their set up and installation is a no brainer. If you do then get a Ford pump and an after market bracket which there are a ton of to select from. There is no selection of Saginaw brackets for a Ford small block.
soutex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

did you need a lift to get to the hoses and all, or did you put it on jack stands or what? I'm still not comfortable getting underneath of a car with jack stands.
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Get good jack stands that have a good review by those who have purchased them. You need one jack stand so you can remove the left front wheel. Hoses can be installed from on top. I have really large long collector headers. I had to remove the left one to get the steering box fitted up. Will your Ididit column be collapsible? Mine is and all I had to do was shove the telescoping steering rod up about 3 Inches into the column to get the box to fit. This photo story tells how to install into a 67/68 Mustang.
Intergral Power Steering Borgeson Power Steering Unit Photo 1

Here is a step by step for a 66 Mustang. Also if you look on the Youtube you should find videos on how this is done on your car:

Borgeson Power Steering Install - My Experience - Ford Mustang Forums
Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Don't see why you couldn't do it! I did a rack and pinion install on jackstands... and can I just say that I got real good at benching the weight of that rack trying to get that thing in place The absolute hardest part is pulling out the old steering box, unless you've got no engine in.

For what it's worth, everyone's a newcomer til they've done it once If you never do it, you'll always be the newbie! Nothing wrong with that, just a thought.

Calamity Jane 1966 Fastback
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
Daily driven (except when it's snowing)
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

10,051 mile road trip recently complete! See the travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
Kelly_H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

The nice thing about the Borgeson is that there are NO hoses or cylinders, etc. underneath the car. There are only 2 hoses that run from the power steering pump to the top of the steering box. The hardest part about the installation is removing the old steering box and that's only if you try to take it all out in one piece.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just looked at how to remove the steering box in a 66 and I was shocked at what a difference there is in the procedure compared to a 68 with a rag joint. It's good that you are intending to replace the column with an Ididit since you have to remove yours anyway to get the steering box out. It is more involved but certainly not impossible. You are going to need two jack stands to get the front end way up so you have clearance for the steering rod. Read this article on how to do it at Mustang Monthly:

How To Replace A Mustang Steering Gear with Flaming River's Help - Mustang Monthly Magazine
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you all for the great info. Kelly you are totally right, if I never do it I'll always be a newbie. Some stuff I'm okay with that (I won't touch setting up rear gears for the life of me) but other stuff would be great to learn.
Next On the Agenda:
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutex View Post
I put one in my 68. Everything was a snap until I got to mounting the Saginaw pump on the front of the engine. Because I have my alternator on that side, the pump had to go below it. The mounting bracket from Borgeson doesn't fit in that position so I had to modify the bracket which was a hit and miss deal. Had I opp't for a Ford pump (much much cheaper) and had Borgeson build the hoses to match the install I would have been dollars ahead and had a much soother install. If you have nothing on the left side of the engine then their set up and installation is a no brainer. If you do then get a Ford pump and an after market bracket which there are a ton of to select from. There is no selection of Saginaw brackets for a Ford small block.
Saginaw pumps were used on Lincolns and trucks/vans- lots of 302 powered trucks and vans.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
GT289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I did a rack and pinion install, but I did run into an issue getting my old steering box out. It wouldn't come out with the header installed, so I had to remove it to have enough clearance to get the box out. If you don't have headers, then it should be an easy swap for you.
wilit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutex View Post
I just looked at how to remove the steering box in a 66 and I was shocked at what a difference there is in the procedure compared to a 68 with a rag joint. It's good that you are intending to replace the column with an Ididit since you have to remove yours anyway to get the steering box out. It is more involved but certainly not impossible. You are going to need two jack stands to get the front end way up so you have clearance for the steering rod. Read this article on how to do it at Mustang Monthly:

How To Replace A Mustang Steering Gear with Flaming River's Help - Mustang Monthly Magazine
If you're going to replace both the box and the column, just hack off the column a couple inches from the box and BOTH will come out separately with little problem.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
If you're going to replace both the box and the column, just hack off the column a couple inches from the box and BOTH will come out separately with little problem.

I figured that since I have to remove the column anyways to get the box out, I might as well take the time and put in my tilt/collapsible column that I've really wanted...an extra inch or two away from my legs will make the car infinitely more driveable, not to mention changing over to power steering. Then I can start to feel like my chore:fun ratio on driving the car is better than 50:50.
Next On the Agenda:
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Saginaw pumps were used on Lincolns and trucks/vans- lots of 302 powered trucks and vans.
Yeah I have seen the vans and others but I needed a selection of brackets to choose from for my installation and the only ones that would work for me were for Ford pumps. March and others had nothing that would work for my set up. So I had to make one. It's ugly but it works.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Flaming River has a collapsible column, what about Ididit?
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member

hey,,,, i did exactly that and posted it on my site... feel free to pilfer...

1966 Mustang RestoMod Ididit Steering Tilt Column

1966 Mustang RestoMod Borgesen Box

1966 Mustang GT RestoMod Project: 307c.i.d.,Holly 600 4brrl, TrickFlow Heads, Power Disc Brakes, Integral Power & Tilt Steering, AOD, 9" 3.50 posi rear end & a bunch of other stuff.

Project start date 1999. Completion date... fagidaboudit!

Hye-Po Deluxe 6-gauge bezel www.hye-po.com

RestoMod Product
http://www.myrestomodmustang.com
Like the MyRestoMod project on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/1966-M...88268267888907
HyePo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.