Turn signals not working - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Turn signals not working

I just finished replacing the turn signal switch on my '68. Headlights, parking lights, brake lights, and emergency flashers are all working, but my turn signals are not working. I spent the extra money for a NOS switch, so I wouldn't think the switch should be bad, but I guess anything is possible. Turn signals were working before I replaced the switch. Any ideas?

Vince in Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Seems to me that if the only thing you switched was the switch, and suddenly everything's not working, that's what I'd suspect. I'd swap out the old switch and see what happens.
3.55 with Posi, Zoom Clutch
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (enroute) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here's some additional info to help with troubleshooting. The part number of the switch I installed is C8ZZ-13341-A. The part number of a lot of the other switches I have seen listed is C8SZ-13341-A. Any concerns here? I thought "Z" was for Mustang and "S" was for Thunderbird. The service numbers on the tags for my old and new switch are the same.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Question #1... with the ign switch OFF and your foot on the brake, does flipping the switch turn OFF the brake light on that side?

If the answer is YES, that means the switch is doing it's job of interrupting the brake light signal so it can flash the t/s.

Question #2 - With the ign switch ON, does flipping the switch turn on the corresponding indicator lamp on the dash?

If the answer is "YES", then you definitely have something going on with the switch as the indicator lamps are piggybacked on to the front lamp circuit. You probably don't have any contact between the switch and the rear contacts. It could be as simple as moving the column a bit closer to the wheel.

If the answer is "NO", then I would do a basic circuit check to make sure that one of the two terminals of the t/s flasher plug has voltage with the key "ON". If not, check the t/s fuse - you could have inadvertently blown it while installing the switch if you had the key "ON".

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
Question #1... with the ign switch OFF and your foot on the brake, does flipping the switch turn OFF the brake light on that side?
YES

Quote:
Question #2 - With the ign switch ON, does flipping the switch turn on the corresponding indicator lamp on the dash?
NO

Quote:
check the t/s fuse - you could have inadvertently blown it while installing the switch if you had the key "ON".
The fuse is good

Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I still have the brand new repro turn signal switch and harness connector that I bought for this repair before I decided to go NOS instead. Maybe the easiest way to troubleshoot this is just attach the new repro switch to the harness connector and plug it in. This should be a valid test for any other issues even without installing the switch in the column, correct?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Update on my troubleshooting efforts - I installed my Daniel Carpenter reproduction turn signal switch today and my turn signals work fine. Turns out the NOS switch I bought was bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.