Cruise night at "The Villages" - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cruise night at "The Villages"

This past holiday weekend, my wife and I visited my mom-in-law in The Villages near Ocala, Fla. Among their many clubs are car clubs of every marque and variant. I, of course, singled out the Mustang owners at the showing. I spoke to everyone that would talk to me, learned alot and made some new friends.

One idea that was bantered about is a club garage where members can pay dues to use club lifts, tools and get help from other members. I would like to have this come together in every region of the country. This would save our cars, make it easier to keep them on the road and increase their value by promoting correct repairs and safety thru the knowledge base.

Is there any such garage in the Atlanta area? I would gladly pay to use it, share my knowledge and even loan my auto-twirler.
Restoration Blog -- Code Name: Daisy
Code Name: Daisy Photobucket
Often the path to forgiveness is to realize that the other person is an imbecile.
Titus_RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

The Villages is the largest retirement community in the country, population well-over 100,000 people, and it's basically it's own "county", spanning 3 counties. Over 300 new homes sell each month, and another 150 existing homes change-hands. The number of car clubs within is astounding, as I'm hosting tours of our NPD car collection constantly for various clubs within the Villages.

In any event, it's a classic car mecca... The Villages AACA chapter won a special award this year at the AACA Annual Meeting for being the fastest-growing chapter in the country.
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
The Villages is the largest retirement community in the country, population well-over 100,000 people, and it's basically it's own "county", spanning 3 counties. Over 300 new homes sell each month, and another 150 existing homes change-hands. The number of car clubs within is astounding, as I'm hosting tours of our NPD car collection constantly for various clubs within the Villages.

In any event, it's a classic car mecca... The Villages AACA chapter won a special award this year at the AACA Annual Meeting for being the fastest-growing chapter in the country.
Boss, ya might want to do more good PR. I didn't hear too many kind words about NPD among the 'stangers there.
Often the path to forgiveness is to realize that the other person is an imbecile.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

A retired high school buddy is living in The Villages. I had no idea it was that big.
IMO NPD is known for actually going to and working with suppliers and great service...,not a big box drop shipper! I doubt Mustang Barn advertizes much either.

JMO
Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Any specific beef??
Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

In the late 80s in Michigan, a number of stations would rent their bays to people
and even a few "rent a bay" businesses popped up. We all remember our parents taking the family car to the "corner garage", but as cost rose and cars became more complex, the local service station was doomed. Back to the rental places. What
closed them down was the inevitable insurance costs and the fear of lawsuits.
No matter what you sign, any lawyer will tell you, you CANNOT sign away your
right to sue, ergo no one would risk it. I am lucky as I have an excellent mechanic
that does most of the stuff that requires a lift, he is very good and fairly priced.
He is also ALWAYS booked about a week in advance.
Leon Narozny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I spend 3 months here in The Villages and will tell you it is a fantastic place.
I am a member of the Mustang club, although my car is in Michigan. They have many
activities including an annual trip to Daytona, they do a lap on the road course,
and they do many other activities. I also fly RC planes, sail an RC sailboat, shoot trap
skeet and sporting clays and play cards 2-3 days a week. There are over 1000
clubs in The Villages. I go home April 1 to relax. I will also say every time I have
been to NPD (about 30 minutes away) I have been treated very well.
Leon Narozny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey 69bossnine,

No Beefs Here... Some of us do appreciate everything you do! Another Silver Springs that was well done!

mxg30
mxg30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

How many of us here would LOVE to live right next to a mustang parts source such as NPD. I have a tough time imagining what beefs they could have.

69 Mach 1 H-code 418W/TKO600/Holley Terminator EFI/RMP Front Coil-Over/TCP Manual R&P/3.70 Auburn Pro/Global West SFC-5 Leafs-Del-A-Lum/Koni's/Magnaflow 2.5 X pipe

Build pictures:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/chillininnh/
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Any specific beef??
Warranty issues on 1965 'Stang door handles and the quality of the GT fog light kit are two I remember. Personally, I think this owner might just be the hard to satisfy type. But one other said steer clear. I'm gonna use you. But, I give everyone one chance and stick with the best. I happen to have Metro Musclecar (formerly Metro Mustang) about a 30 minute drive away from me. From them, suspension, steering and brakes.

Last edited by Titus_RacerX; 02-19-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

community garage would be to sweet and on top of that have access to some people with some serious know how. To good to be true at least out here in west Texas.

Midland Tx currently has the highest body shop and mechanic rates in the NATION due to the oil field. Finding some one to do a few things I ether don't know how to or don't want to do on my car is next to impossible.
302 with gt-40p heads Sanderson shorty ceramic coated headers, Holley 600 Weiand intake, Mallory breaker less dizzy with Mallory hifi electronic ignition, Flowmaster 40's with an X pipe and one Funny shifting C4 with 3.55 rear gears with Auburn Trak Locker, 8in rear axle.
blue1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Titus, I've thought about the "rent-a-bay" concept ever since closing my "corner service station" almost 20 years ago. I think the concept COULD be successful in the right area, as far as a classic car bent is considered, and that would be one where it's warm 365 days in the year. I would imagine that it would have to be done as a cooperative of some kind with every member sharing ownership and providing their own insurance coverage and naming the coop as additional insured - that would take a legal expert to decide. Sort of like a country club. Keep at it. :-)

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus_RacerX View Post
Warranty issues on 1965 'Stang door handles and the quality of the GT fog light kit are two I remember. Personally, I think this owner might just be the hard to satisfy type. But one other said steer clear. I'm gonna use you. But, I give everyone one chance and stick with the best. I happen to have Metro Musclecar (formerly Metro Mustang) about a 30 minute drive away from me. From them, suspension, steering and brakes.
There's no telling, but I think it's pretty well known that our level of "discretion" when it comes to returns and warranties is high.. And you just can't imagine some of the unreasonable and sometimes batty claims we have to field and negotiate our way through in the process of satisfying customers..

Some customers return 70-80% of everything they buy, like clockwork... And if they did business elsewhere, they'd have the same exact grievances, never satisfied, perpetually disappointed, muttering "crap, junk, crap, junk" between every 3rd word they utter.

The "steer clear" guy, that totally confounds me. But I won't lie, there's been rare occassions that either myself, or by my consent, certain customers have been (deservedly) told to go pound sand... And who knows what those folks may say at car shows and cruise ins.. You can't do much about that, you have to rely upon your overall reputation to defend against that.

We can't please 100% of the population 100% of the time, which is why there's a vast array of suppliers and choices out there.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
There's no telling, but I think it's pretty well known that our level of "discretion" when it comes to returns and warranties is high.. And you just can't imagine some of the unreasonable and sometimes batty claims we have to field and negotiate our way through in the process of satisfying customers...

...We can't please 100% of the population 100% of the time, which is why there's a vast array of suppliers and choices out there.
And that's why I'll give everyone a shot at proving their worthiness. Great catalog btw!

Now, back to the topic of a club based garage or a co-op garage. Is there anyone in the Atlanta are interested in getting some tool vendors to donate in exchange for visibility, any empty warehouses needing activity? Generous landlords?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

My opinion is that you're going to hit a brick wall in the form of insurance/liability...

Such is the environment we live in today... Whomever would be the catalyst/visionary of the shared space, would be the one sitting in front of the judge on the defense side of the lawsuit.

Shared storage and workspace is indeed done, and I've read of many such places, but they all seem to share a common-thread. They're PRICEY... And I've gotta think the money is for the liability-firewall.

I do wish you the best of luck in it however!! Not trying to be Debbie Downer..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.