Advice - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice

Hi all...

Seeking some advice for what seems to be a confusing topic. Recently picked up a set of 17x8J Bullitts for my 67 Coupe. 1" spacer on rear with new studs and 1.25" in the front, but still getting a nasty rubbing on my UCA. Grinded and trimmed and while there's no more rubbing or grinding in reverse or drive..turning the wheels causes a significant grind...so i'm considering getting a tubular UCA from TCP or Global West..what are your thoughts?

Thanks
ronnieo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sure someone who has run bullitts will chime in....but I think there are particular year bullitts that fit better than others. Not 100% sure though. Do you know what year yours came off of?

Everything I've heard about the bullitt wheels is they are around 5.72 of backspacing and with a 1" spacer that puts them right in the sweet spot for 67-68 of 4.75 (4.72) of backspacing. With your spacer you're around 4.5" of backspacing which should still be fine. On my 67 coupe i have a set of MB wheels that 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing and I have plenty of clearance at the upper control arm.

Is your steering, brakes, suspension all stock? New or older and a bit worn? How is the alignment? That seems to have an effect on rubbing on larger wheels and tires. Does it grind throughout the whole range of turning? Or only at close to lock? And does it only happen when you are driving or does it grind when the car is stationary and turning the wheels also?

Sorry, I don't have a direct answer for you but I figure if we question enough stuff we can home in on the answer. - Brian
Bdrainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

i ran 18x8 bullits and they didnt rub whatsoever and i had no spacer. i even autocrossed with them.

what is the backspace on your wheels with the 1.25 spacer installed?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8531/8...bf5630e570.jpg
wheelsup351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

ronnieo2011,

Bdrainy is correct that there are some Bullitt style wheels that will fit better than others.

Question: Why did you put the spacers on? To accomendate the wheels?
If so then this may be the source of your problem.

Another question: Did you lower the car and do you feel the tubular arms will be a long term solution for you?
mxg30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

New perches
New springs 620s
New Shocks
Disc Brake conversion

Original UCA/LCA

Got the adapters originally because 16" were doing the same. Did some searching on here and other sites and was recommended to go with 17''s. Hadn't tried without them. Thinking the tubular UCA's would give me the clearance...

so..now..thinking..

$600 for the UCA

or 1000.00 for rims and tires that will fit from Mustangs Unlimited...bullitts as well...

Thoughts??
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh and the bullitts came off of an 03 Stang
Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just looked and the 03 bullitts have 5.72 backspacing...so with your 1.25" spacer your wheels should have around 4.5" backspacing...which should work just fine. With 4.5" backspacing I would think if anything you would be closer to rubbing on the fender lip rather that the UCA. Does it rub/grind on both sides?

Which disc brake conversion do you have?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

please measure the backspace with and without the spacer.

do you have any problems aligning the car? im asking bc i want to make sure the wheel doesnt go into funky ankles when you turn.

how far do you have to turn the wheels before the wheels hit. what part of the control arm and what part of the wheel do they hit?

Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bd...

I'll try when I get home. It doesn't hit the fender at all..definitely all UCA. It was previously aligned so I can't say if there's any problems with aligning it..after grinding down the UCA i don't get very very slight rubbing in forward/reverse in a straight line..it's when I turn the wheels...from half to full lock out...i only drove it down the drive way...

Working at a startup I have to tackle things when i can with as much info as I can..which is why i tried grinding it like Open tracker did and so now I'm looking at tubular UCA....

BTW...I work at GoPro.com greatest company to work for!!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

GoPro the camera company? Nice! With how many people run the bullitts with stock style UCA, I would hate for you to drop a bunch of $$$ if you dont have to.

I'm kind of with "wheelsup" measuring the actual backspacing without the spacer and have the alignment checked. Could be as simple as the wheels were not described accurately from who you bought them from or the alignment is off and causing an odd wheel angle.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieo2011 View Post

BTW...I work at GoPro.com greatest company to work for!!
damn you. id love a job there since i live in san mateo.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just had the alignment done not that long ago...i'll try it without the spacers...definitely not trying to spend money where I don't need too, but on the other hand it could be that the ball joint need replaced and it's causing the UCA to droop...it just hitting the upper bead and edge of the bottom lip...so frustrating..

WheelsUp..yes sir..that's the one...hahaha....we're hiring like crazy..
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

04 bullitts with 1" spacers on my 67. No rubbing anywhere. The rim is close (approx 7/16") to the UCA but not touching.

Check your ball joints and bushing to see if something is moving....

66 Coupe long gone
67 Coupe

Mustang on Flickr
Rear End Rebuild Pics
kd4pwh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'll have to check when I get home, but from memory I can picture the ball joint looking pretty sad...meaning the bushing looked pretty flat...would have some bearing on it?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

IMO if the suspension/steering is that wore out, then you would defiantly see horrible drivability issues.

I would check the UCA bushing (where it bolts to the shock tower) and the LCA bushings (at the frame mount) and of course the upper and lower ball joints. Something has to be pretty wore out if the rim is rubbing the UCA only when turning left or right.

The 'bushing' you are referring to is more than likely the dust boot for the ball joint. It plays no part in the functionality of the ball joint other than to simply retain grease and keep dirt out.

Good luck and keep us informed!

66 Coupe long gone
67 Coupe

Mustang on Flickr
Rear End Rebuild Pics
kd4pwh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.