1968 Original Rims - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1968 Original Rims

I contemplated putting this in the Concours forum but I thought I'd try here first-

When the "Jersey Devil" was put to sleep in 1979, my father put all of the parts that belonged with the car inside of the car so that they would be kept together. Among the things that went into the trunk were two rims that he believes were put there because they were original to the car when he got it in 1968.

It stands to reason that they are the originals since 2 of the rims currently on the car are painted in primer and these are black like the other two (presumably original) rims currently on the car.

The reason he had extra rims involved was twofold - He had both snow tires and summer tires, and he also built his trailers to use mustang tires and rims so that he only had to keep one spare when trailering the boat around to skiing competitions in the late 60's.

So I have 2 questions for the board. First, I'd like to ensure that the rims in the trunk are original. Secondly I'd like to know if the spare tire was an identical rim or if it was different in any way. (I plan on having a full size spare as part of the rotation scheme.) 8 rims in total came with the car and I don't want to accidentally choose to toss out any that were original...

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

All five rims were identical if the car (68) came with standard wheels not the style steel.
Also a rare option was space saving spare.

By the way those wheel covers in the pic are the original basic covers. I for one like them better than the optionals. If they're in good condition treat them well.

I believe the KH means Kelsey Hayes. The original steel wheels were stamped near the center front area. The inside width for V8 cars was 5". The offset (back spacing) varies depending on application.

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

On a related note- Anyone want free "brand new" snow tires from 1978 or so? I've got two of them that seem to have seen less than 100 miles of use before their 34 year nap.

Dunlap CW-144, F78-14 Tubeless.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

See the holes in the tread? Depending on the State you could get optional studs installed in the tread when the tire was new. In a couple years they found than bone heads would step on the gas and dig trenches in the asphalt road!

Even when new snow tires were often rated by the tire manufacturers at 70 mph max.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

now that brings back memories from the day.

i havent seen snow tires being used on every day cars in decades

i can remeber helping my dad put chains on a 64 falcon when i was like 5.

and after al lthat he put it on the wrong rear wheel and we had to do it again after he finished yelling, ranting a cussing for an hour.

1993 GT 11,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof. Untouched except for rubber and battery, Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid and new car smell.
Blues Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.