Lock Picking - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lock Picking

My 64 1/2 coupe came without a key. I got the lock assembly out of the car and will replace the tumbler with a matched set for the doors but I need to get the existing tumbers out. Since I can't turn to the accessory postion without the key, I can't put a paperclip in the tumber to free it. So I guess I have to drill it out. Anybody out there done this and if so how'd you do it. A new body only costs $8 or so; if it's a big deal, maybe I'll just buy a new body. Thanks.

Walt
64 1/2 D code coupe
montana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana View Post
My 64 1/2 coupe came without a key. I got the lock assembly out of the car and will replace the tumbler with a matched set for the doors but I need to get the existing tumbers out. Since I can't turn to the accessory postion without the key, I can't put a paperclip in the tumber to free it. So I guess I have to drill it out. Anybody out there done this and if so how'd you do it. A new body only costs $8 or so; if it's a big deal, maybe I'll just buy a new body. Thanks.

Walt
64 1/2 D code coupe
No offense Walt, but don't expect a response when you mention picking a lock... Just get a new body.
2007 Premium MustangCoupe (V6).. Please don't shun me

Done
Replace Full floor pan
Replace Firewall
Replace Full cowl
Replace Radiator support
Shelby Drop done
Front disc brakes on

Up next:

4 wheel drum to disc conversion, rebuild front suspension/steering, taillight panel, trunk floor,302 and AOD upgrade, wiring harnesses back in, and hopefully only patch panels on the quarters

E=MChuck Norris
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

got a good laugh when I saw your response. I actually took the assembly to a local locksmith and he wanted $20 to do it, so I figured I'd try drilling it out (a suggestion to another poster with a similar situation on this forum).
Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

Totally agree with a new lock body. That way you won't have to deal with a 40 lock.
Stan
President BAMA 2012-
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana View Post
got a good laugh when I saw your response. I actually took the assembly to a local locksmith and he wanted $20 to do it, so I figured I'd try drilling it out (a suggestion to another poster with a similar situation on this forum).
$20?! OMG! I'd sell the car first!!

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just bought a '65 coupe (my new project) last Thanksgiving...same problem. Lady had no keys for the car. I found the trunk key in the ashtray (after I had already removed the rear seat, crawled through the trunk and unbolted the deck lid latch).

Ended up just drilling out the ignition switch. It was badly worn anyway. Basically, hold the rear of the switch with some channel locks (or similar) and drill out with a 1/4"-3/8" drill. Will fall right out then you can remove the rest from the rear.

Also makes a lot of sense to replace the door and ignition keys/tumblers anyway for safety sake if nothing else.
patrickstapler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

CJ's has (Scott Drake I believe) matching ignition, door locks and trunk... one key for all.

68 coupe with a 351W
Mods: a lot... just ask if you're interested
07 gt
99 Gixxer 750 (When four wheels are too many)
Franks68coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'll give the drilling a try - I've got nothing to lose. Also, thanks, Frank, for the tip about the matching keys. I'd only seen the NPD sets where there's a separate key for the trunk, glove compartment.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Take the door lock to a smith and get a new key made. If you drill the ignition lock, you will almost certainly destroy the switch. Even if you don't, a new lockset is $30, so a new key would be $10 less. And if you wreck the switch, that's another $15. Get a key made.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks68coupe View Post
CJ's has (Scott Drake I believe) matching ignition, door locks and trunk... one key for all.
Nope. Doors and ignition are one key, trunk another.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Picking the lock on these old cars is not that hard to do. I will usually spend about 15 minutes on one. If I can't get it in 15 minutes I go to plan B. 2+2's idea of taking the door lock out to get a key made is a great idea as long as the door still matches the ignition.
67t5ponycoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

right-on a 40 something old car the ign lock/tumblers could have been replaced- do the drill thing and then if u have lots of patience u can rekey the door cylinders to the ign lock that u purchase new or just remove the ones in the door cylinders so any key will work-who else will know
mustang656man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Lock picking is not rocket science on these cars. In many cases it is less work then trying to drill the lock.

Look up how to lock pick.

You will need to make a tension tool and some kind of a rake. Stiff wire, paper clips, hack saw blades etc and you can make the tools.

It helps if the lock is loose , that is the cylinder bounces and is not stiff in the hole. Then you might want to lubricate it. Usually these cylinders are loose, well worn out.

Sometimes the locks pop instantly other times it is best to put the tools down and walk away for a little bit. It is more of a challenge on a Model A door handle that is tight with swollen pot metal.
kevlarguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.