all four brakes locked up - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default all four brakes locked up

any ideas as to what the hell can cause this? 68, all drum, power booster and new master put in a few months back, done this once before, then was fine and it just did it last night causing me to tow it home,
ArmyOfEchoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Joe

Master cylinder.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

If the new master/booster is not exactly like the old ones, your brake pushrod may be too long. If its too long there isn't enough free pedal. If there isn't enough free pedal, the master will not detent and release pressure.

How do I know this? I did the same thing last summer.

Disconnect both front and rear brakelines. The pressure should release. Then get a shorter pushrod and rebleed.
Bucket Lister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had an old truck ('86 F150) that would do that. The shaft from the pedal was binding in the booster. I would have to pull the pedal back with my foot everytime I used the brake.

I'm not sure whether or not that is the same problem.

My Cardomain: Link

My Old Mustang Restoration Blog: Link
crey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

alright i have tomorrow and the following day off so i will have to pull it and see, as far as the pedal, when they locked up it would not move at all, was harder then anything. today it moves, but dont want to drive it with a chance it will do it again, the car is really a pita some times,
ArmyOfEchoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket Lister View Post
If the new master/booster is not exactly like the old ones, your brake pushrod may be too long. If its too long there isn't enough free pedal. If there isn't enough free pedal, the master will not detent and release pressure.

How do I know this? I did the same thing last summer.

Disconnect both front and rear brakelines. The pressure should release. Then get a shorter pushrod and rebleed.

I'm with you on this! Did this many years ago putting a new master in my brother's 50 Merc.
Adjusted it so the pedal was high, very little free play. The phone rings late that nite. My brother is stuck the car won't move!

I learned very young...read the manual and set it up like it says! All that free play is to allow for heat expansion.

This is a self generating failure. As the brakes drag things heat up and it gets worse. When things cool you wonder what was the problem?

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.