Smoke from oil filler cap - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z65
Supporting Member

Default Smoke from oil filler cap

Roads dry today so took the car out for a drive to get things warmed up and moving... drove it for about 1 hour at speeds from 25-70 mph. Engine ran great, nice and smooth, plenty of power...

When I got home I parked it while still idling and popped the hood to see smoke wafting from the oil filler cap. Not too much just some wisps here and there

Took a video: WP 20130224 001 - YouTube

Maybe 1,000-1,200 miles on engine. Compression test is near perfect, not consuming any oil that I can tell, new PCV valve, hose, etc.

Does this look/sound normal?

left = Summer 1965 w/ me in photo, right = current
Z65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

First off beautiful car! Just wondering is this "smoke" something new or you never looked?
I can barely see a wisp now and then on the video. I wouldn't worry but I can't recall looking for a wisp on my 64 1/2 when it was brand spanking new!

Yes it was a D code but later I had a new A code...never watched the fill cap either! Just loved the car!

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know you said it's new but I would still suspect maybe the PCV valve or something, especially since you say your compression numbers are good. I chased a very similar situation and it just turned out the PCV wasn't hooked up properly.

If it was rings it would probably be more significant than that and it would be puffing rather than just the wisp (or so I've been told).

When you changed the valve and the hose did you use the same size everything as before?
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Z65
Supporting Member

First off beautiful car! Just wondering is this "smoke" something new or you never looked?
Thanks. Never noticed it before. I typically pop the hood and look under the hood to see how everything looks before putting it away in the garage. Not sure I noticed this before but could have missed it.

I can barely see a wisp now and then on the video. I wouldn't worry but I can't recall looking for a wisp on my 64 1/2 when it was brand spanking new!
You can see the smoke best in the last 10 seconds or so of the video.

Yes it was a D code but later I had a new A code...never watched the fill cap either! Just loved the car!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Z65
Supporting Member

I know you said it's new but I would still suspect maybe the PCV valve or something, especially since you say your compression numbers are good. I chased a very similar situation and it just turned out the PCV wasn't hooked up properly.
Definitely strong compression numbers - I'm pretty sure the rings are okay and I can't imagine how I could have messed up the PCV hookup - seems pretty straightforward, right?

If it was rings it would probably be more significant than that and it would be puffing rather than just the wisp (or so I've been told).

When you changed the valve and the hose did you use the same size everything as before?
Yup - same size PCV and the new hose was very tight on both the PCV and the carb spacer. I even used the "factory" style hose connectors which were actually a real #$%#^ to get on there.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

definitely check out the PCV system its most likely to blame.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's either the breather filter is clogged with oil or the PCV hose has no vacuum.
(The oil cap is also a breather and it has a filter that lets in fresh air). You need both PCV and breather
for the PCV system to work.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 02-24-2013 at 04:02 PM.
1971mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Z65
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971mach1 View Post
It's either the breather filter is clogged with oil or the PCV hose has no vacuum.
(The oil cap is also a breather and it has a filter that lets in fresh air). You need both PCV and breather
for the PCV system to work.
So could I test this out by just pulling the filler cap? If the problem goes away, it's likely a clogged filler cap then, right? if that doesn't help... it's probably a bad PCV system then?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nice car, nice engine. That's great to have had that car in the family for so long. I think you have good help in the posts above, and don't think you have a serious problem even if the pcv valve is working. 1,000 miles on a new engine means it is just broken in.
sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Z65
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by md02geist View Post

What do you mean by the PCV "wasn't hooked up properly"?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z65 View Post
What do you mean by the PCV "wasn't hooked up properly"?
Improper adapters jury rigged to too small a hose. Doesn't sound like you have that issue.
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Pull the PCV while idling and check for vacuum. Plugging the PCV with your finger should result in a decrease of about 50rpm. If not, either the wrong PCV valve or not enough vacuum to the valve. If everything is okay then you've got some blow-by issues, plain and simple. A properly operating PCV system on an engine with good compression rings should have a partial vacuum in the crankcase at closed throttle.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

What we all haven't discussed is that while the engine is running you have a vacuum that will pull warm gasses out of the block. At rest and without a vacuum the gasses will normally escape as they can. After sleeping on this one, I believe that no problem exists.
sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Had a similar issue with my a code. Try a new pcv. My issue was a bad pcv.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Z65
Supporting Member

Resurrecting old thread - new info...

After taking the car on it's longest drive since 1973 (~200 miles), I returned to find some smoke still coming from the oil filler cap which was just replaced with a new one before the drive. A slight drip of oil was running down the valve cover as well.

So... I had wanted to do a valve adjustment for a while just to be sure things were set correctly. I did this with engine off by using my breaker bar and turning the engine manually until each valve was fully closed, backing off on the rocker nut and then tightening down until no up/down movement in the pushrod. I then tightened each nut another 3/4 of a turn.

Upon firing it up, it sounded like one of the lifters was clattering for a while (4-5 minutes) until oil warmed up and filled what I'm guessing was a drained lifter Engine had been run the day before so not sure why it drained out like that.

Once the clattering stopped, it seemed to be running fine so I put a vacuum gauge on the intake manifold and it was reading a steady 20" HG which seems within spec.

I haven't done a compression test since last summer but the car only has about 500 more miles on it and last summer the compression numbers were looking great (160 for all but 2 cylinders and they had 150 and 155).

Engine idles smoothly. Changed oil and didn't find anything strange - no coolant leaks, milky or frothy oil. Under valve covers looked shiny, new and clean - no apparently issues.

I'm also getting a bit of an oil leak now from the distributor which pools in a valley on the timing cover. Not much but a little pool after the car has run for a long while.

Are these related? Too much crankcase pressure? If I pull the PCV and put my finger on the end it seems to have great suction.

I'm stumped. Compression numbers and intake vacuum would seem to eliminate wear issues, right? Engine has maybe 2K miles tops on it. I pulled #1 plug and it was nice and grey, dry, etc.

Stumped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.