undercoating in cowl? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default undercoating in cowl?

I know-this is gonna be a weird ?. Just got done removing fenders and spraying in a can of the eastwoods internal frame coating through the drain holes/vents of the cowl. So all of the insides of my non-leaking cowl are now sealed and the rust has been neutralized (In theory!). Problem was that in the middle area of the cowl (the place where you can see from the top throught the vent slats) the paint from the p.o. was chipping off-we used various tools to scrape off as much loose stuff as we could. But now that its all coated in there with the greenish gray eastwood stuff 1) its really noticeable when looking through the vents 2) it looks really rough as the eastwood stuff is really thin and you can see all the places we chipped off the lose paint. So my question is, would it be OK to spray in some black undercoating (using a straw or tube) through the vents, and then it would be black (better than gray/greenish) and since it has some thickness it would fill in the paint chipped areas and also provide some add'l protection? or other ideas? Thanks all
jp
ps-new paint job is in the near future, so i'm thinking when its sprayed red, it will just topcoat the undercoating...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should be able to. I was able to get a shop vac hose up in there to clean mine and I took an inch wide plastic paint brush and melted the handle with a propane torch and bent a 90 deg angle in it and brushed seam sealer on the hats. I had the heater box out for a rebuild so that helped. Is the frame coating you mention their rust encapsulator paint? I would think that would be fine. I would use it rather than the undercoating.

Rich
ratlee53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would recommend shooting some black epoxy primer in there. That stuff is very durable and if you apply a few coats, I bet it would cover all the chips and such in your cowl.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

rich-same deal here-took my shop vac and hooked a small hose on it and started suckin!! got a few chunks and needles out, but not a ton, which is probably why my cowl isnt rusted through. also had my heater out to access the hats, so we bought some 3m strip sealer that the boys are going to stick their little hands up over there and seal off the hats. Their internal frame coating is a rust converter/encapsulator that comes w/a hose (got that idea from someone on here) but its not a paint-just need something w/ a little thickness to it to cover up the chips and hide the greenish gray-thought about the black epoxy too-thanks klutch-but i don't have a spray gun-would need something that i can hook a small tube up to, so will have to probably be a rattlecan...
Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I too would recommend some epoxy in there. I have seen rust under undercoating, I have not seen rust under epoxy primer.

you can pour/brush/drizzle or wipe epoxy primer on. (try a scrap of a t-shirt tied on the end of a coathanger or wire for a flexible/disposible brush.)

Last edited by dzahm; 02-26-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: more info
dzahm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

good idea on the application-would ep be thick enough to hide the chippage?? (never used it before so i have no idea)
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd spray a few coats of truck bed liner in there to fill the depressions and give it a texture, then after it's cured I'd probably spray in some color coat, just to match a bit better. You should be able to do both with a plastic wand through the louvers.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlee53 View Post
You should be able to. I was able to get a shop vac hose up in there to clean mine and I took an inch wide plastic paint brush and melted the handle with a propane torch and bent a 90 deg angle in it and brushed seam sealer on the hats. I had the heater box out for a rebuild so that helped. Is the frame coating you mention their rust encapsulator paint? I would think that would be fine. I would use it rather than the undercoating.

Rich
They are different products - Internal Frame Coating is olive green. Rust Encapsulator is satin black. Rust Encapsulator is a bit thicker - like regular spray paint - and isn't designed to run like the frame coating does.
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd2caa40.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I did mine Sunday. Used Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator & the 24" nozzle thru the hat openings. I followed-up after it dried with a narrow line of Eastwoods Rubberized Undercoating just along the lower cowl seams, skipping the fender drain area. Was going to do the seams with Seam Sealer but figured it would be a goowy mess that would interfear with drainage (like the stuff Ford left in there in '65 partially blocking one side). Interesting that the intersection of the panels at the drivers side drain (when viewed from the fender side) was bent-up just enough that it would never totally drain. I bent it down and poured RE in that side from the hat. After all this is good & dry I will install the plastic hats and seal them well. Here's a picture of the passenger drain from the hat...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CowlRIGHT9.jpg (91.3 KB, 31 views)

Back in Anchorage August 2014
5R07A/1965 GT
65A R 26 15U 71 1 5
Mooseburger2nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like the idea of coating the cowl.

A guy near me says putting fiberglass resin down into there does wonders, says it keeps it from retaining water. I have never heard of that before. Anyone else?
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

I tried putting fiberglass resin down my cowl around 1986 or so. Don't do it. It dried and actually curled up a bit like dried flakes over the years, so actually made the problem of trapping water and cr*p even worse. It either didn't stick as I couldn't clean up the cowl floor well enough, or worked loose with body flex as the years went on.
I also tried cutting up a round Javex bottle (was the right "hat" diameter), and sealed two of them up there with mono caulking as my cowl hats were toast. I shake my head at the crazy stuff I did back then....
Thank you Scott Drake for proper patch panels!
[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), orig engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in summer of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 gear, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Opentracker roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by md02geist View Post
I like the idea of coating the cowl.

A guy near me says putting fiberglass resin down into there does wonders, says it keeps it from retaining water. I have never heard of that before. Anyone else?

Ya mean like this?

A gift from a PO. Not only did it not seal the cowl but the resin embedded in the pores of the steel made for some fun welding when I eventually cut out the sides and installed patches (before the days of replacement cowl pans).

I would avoid this at all costs!

1965 Mustang Coupe

www.not2fst.com
09Frank65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Frank65 View Post
Ya mean like this?

A gift from a PO. Not only did it not seal the cowl but the resin embedded in the pores of the steel made for some fun welding when I eventually cut out the sides and installed patches (before the days of replacement cowl pans).

I would avoid this at all costs!

Oh geez that's awful. Thank goodness I asked, I thought it sounded like a good idea initially until I see the actual result.

My thought is to do an epoxy enamel on the inside and then finish it off with a line-x liner. I figure that will make it indestructible and waterproof.
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.