68 Shelby GT-350 J-code - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #16 (permalink)

To make it even worse, some 68 GT 350's came with the regular cast iron 4 bbl. intake.
Forgot the reason but the aluminum intakes were not avail. for a short time. Many came
back for the correct replacement but some didn't. Know a person here who has a GT 350
auto with the cast iron intake. It was a Hertz car.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelostang View Post
To make it even worse, some 68 GT 350's came with the regular cast iron 4 bbl. intake.
Forgot the reason but the aluminum intakes were not avail. for a short time. Many came back for the correct replacement but some didn't. Know a person here who has a GT 350 auto with the cast iron intake. It was a Hertz car.
I thought that the problem with the Hertz cars was that people rented them, swapped all manner of parts with their personal Mustangs and then returned them. And the Hertz folks were not trained well enough to realize the thefts...

It's not impossible that your friend's Hertz car originally came with the aluminum intake. No easy way to tell though.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

While parts and engine swaps could and did likely happen on rare occassion, I think the whole "legend" of the Hertz cars has become way-blown-out-of-proportion after years of winding through the grapevine of urban legend...
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm ready for a blast! IMO, if I had big money it would be my opinion causing a buy!

I prefer the look of the 68 GT 350 vert to the 67 GT 350 vert. Have never bought a car for resale. The 68 GT 350 will sell for less than the 67 GT 350 because the 68 is a dog. Great, that plays into my hand. I could put $3 or $5K into the J code to wake it up and still be way ahead with the car I prefer!!

Not looking for opinions, that's what I would do! Who cares if a 67 350GT blows the doors off a 68 350GT, mine would be the one that counts!!

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

Whole lot of BS going on. Pay close attention because a few folks have turned on the blender.
A 67 MUSTANG K code is plain rare. And is faster than a 68 J coded, 302 Cubic inch Shelby GT 350. I think the 68 GT 350 might run even with the 67 S code (ah, 390 Big Block Mustang) The 67 S codes are the first year of a big block Mustang, they too are rare. Henry Ford II couldn't think past the 390 cubes equals so much power rather than a little tweaking could have made the power so much better.
Tasca Ford fiddled with a 428 block and some parts, took it to Fomoco in Dearborn and said build these, they KILL Chevys. So, in 1968 the Cobra Jet motor was born.
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Roddster.... Where is the BS?? Blender?? Most the info here seems to right on track. And the '67 K-codes are awhole lot rarer than the S-codes. I don't have the #s right off hand, but you can still find S-code cars out there for reasonable prices. Legit '67 K-codes OR '67 GT350s are virtually unheard of and cost a fortune in any condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
I'm ready for a blast! IMO, if I had big money it would be my opinion causing a buy!

I prefer the look of the 68 GT 350 vert to the 67 GT 350 vert.
Slim, they did not sell any '67 GT350 'verts. The only 67 shelby vert was the 'valeo' car that was a shelby promo car, rebodied by ford to be a pre-'68 marketing car that was allegedly stollen and avoided the crusher.
67 'vert 302,4spd,Red/Red (almost ready!)
67 Coupe 289,auto,black/black,deluxe (sold)
67 Coupe I6 to V8 conversion (sold)

Last edited by caveeagle; 04-09-2013 at 10:15 AM.
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster View Post
I think the 68 GT 350 might run even with the 67 S code (ah, 390 Big Block Mustang)
Not even close, not even in the same zip-code... I own 3 strong-running stock-spec S-codes that attest to that. You would have to hitch a travel-trailer to the rear of the S-code to slow it down to 1968 GT350 pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster View Post
The 67 S codes are the first year of a big block Mustang, they too are rare.
Just shy of 30,000 S-code 390 Mustangs were produced in 1967... Not that rare..
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Roddster.... Where is the BS?? Blender?? Most the info here seems to right on track. And the '67 K-codes are awhole lot rarer than the S-codes. I don't have the #s right off hand, but you can still find S-code cars out there for reasonable prices. Legit '67 K-codes OR '67 GT350s are virtually unheard of and cost a fortune in any condition.

Slim, they did not sell any '67 GT350 'verts. The only 67 shelby vert was the 'valeo' car that was a shelby promo car, rebodied by ford to be a pre-'68 marketing car that was allegedly stollen and avoided the crusher.
Sorry for my leap of illogic! Rewinding. I prefer the 68 GT350 styling to the 67 GT350. The engine is easily fixed. Now add to that I'm a vert freak and there's no contest!

My comment was stupid. Thanks for straightening me out!

Slim
Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Sorry for my leap of illogic! Rewinding. I prefer the 68 GT350 styling to the 67 GT350. The engine is easily fixed. Now add to that I'm a vert freak and there's no contest!

My comment was stupid. Thanks for straightening me out!

Slim
From the first time I walked into the old NPD showroom in 1987 (Gainesville, FL), I have had a deep love and appreciation for the '68 GT500 styling. I being a '67 vert owner, I can certainly empathize with your inclination towards the '68 ragtop.

My plans are (slowly) proceeding to 'upgrade' my '67 vert to GT350 specs. Although I do really like the '68 style better, The '67 GT350 treatment just seems to make more sense for my car. Especially since its even the same color as Shelby's old EXP500 vert.
67 'vert 302,4spd,Red/Red (almost ready!)
67 Coupe 289,auto,black/black,deluxe (sold)
67 Coupe I6 to V8 conversion (sold)
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

ok, now that 68 GT350's have been slagged, anyone want to offload theirs cheap?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

Without thinking I compared in my head 67 vs 68 GT350 vert. To me Mustang = vert. Not trying to convince anyone on verts! It's just that to me sporty car = vert! Don't give a crap if it's Shelby it has to be a vert!

Up grading a J code 302 is no big deal. It can be done and not be noticeable. Upgrading a fastback to vert is a considerable project and definitely noticible. When the 67 fasback GT350 has been converted to a vert GT350 I still prefer the 68 GT350 vert!!

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds View Post
I thought that the problem with the Hertz cars was that people rented them, swapped all manner of parts with their personal Mustangs and then returned them. And the Hertz folks were not trained well enough to realize the thefts...

It's not impossible that your friend's Hertz car originally came with the aluminum intake. No easy way to tell though.
It really was a problem re availability. Yes, the thefts and swaps were a problem on the
66's. The Dade Co. Fl. dealer was JD BALL Ford. I did their newspaper ads and saw one
MAJOR theft. The car was sitting in the service line with hood pointing upward. NO engine, NO trans', no steering wheel etc. Also was told about one that came back with
a nicely detailed regular 289!
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.