66 Mustang Fastback, whats it worth?
So I came across a 66 Mustang Fastback with factory 4 speed and 289. I am curious what its worth as I don't want to over pay but also don't want to low ball the guy. Below is the description he listed.
Times are getting harder in Fairbanks, and as much as I'd love to keep this car and finish restoring it, I don't have the time to do it. The car belongs to my step father, who did all of the current work to the car, roughly 5-8 years ago. He got tired of working on it, and put it into storage. He was going to get rid of the car, and I had asked if I paid the storage costs if he would hold it for me. Here I am 4 years later, still without the means to finish it. This car needs to go to a home that will take care of it, and turn it into the cruiser it has potential to be.
A few disclosures:
- Obviously the car has been in storage for a few years. The paint on the car isn't anything to write home about, as it's been painted black at some time before my step-dad got the car. The bodywork that was done is in decent shape. The doors need some work.
- The door tags do NOT match the chassis VIN. The car was indeed a factory 289, 4 speed 2+2 car.
- The current 289 (less than 10 miles on it) is thought to have a bad ring (unseated) as it's not building compression as it should. My step dad is pretty convinced the motor needs to come out and be gone through, however I'm not sure that the motor just hasn't been run in long enough to get an adequate seat yet. Also, my step dad noted that when he opened up the cooling system after he ran it, it looked like there was some sand or sediment in the cooling system. He wanted to pull the motor and disassemble and have it hot tanked.
- We are still looking for the ignition key/trunk key. The car should fire up with a new battery and maybe some new gas.
- The car needs the details finished to make it a complete car. Technically it's a drivable classic as it sits (assuming the motor doesn't need to come out).
Onto the good stuff:
Factory Fastback 2+2 car, a rare option, especially to find one in Alaska.
New (re-manufactured) PAW 289 CI V8 with less than 10 miles on it. .020 over
Custom 6 pack intake with triple 2 bbl carbs, including progressive throttle linkage (super cool setup)
Car will come with additional 4bbl Edelbrock intake and 4 bbl carb
Engine bay has been cleaned and repainted with a satin/flat black
4 Speed Transmission with new clutch and throw out bearing
Electronic ignition (no more points!)
New brakes all around, including all hard lines.
New rear axle bearings
New Styled Steel Wheels (similar to a Cragar SS look)
New Tiger Paw tires (this was probably 6-8 years ago, they may not be good for anything but rolling stock)
Will come with original wheels
Brand new Pony exhaust (complete)
HiPow exhaust manifolds (not original)
New Fuel tank and sending unit
New wiring throughout (main dash harness is still original)
Almost new interior
New floor pans and seat risers
New carpet kit
Pony interior added by previous owner, still in good shape.
Dash repainted gloss black
Replica Rally Pac (rare option, even with an aftermarket piece)
Wooden Pony Steering Wheel
GT fog light kit
Additional headlight switch
New Gas Cap
New weather stripping in the box (uninstalled)
Truly too much to list. Spare parts galore, 2 spare 289 motors will come with the car, both need work. All kinds of documentation, from shop manuals to reproduction parts books. All the parts are there for a complete car, it just needs someone to finish it.