65 Palomino Wheel - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 65 Palomino Wheel

I asked this question on another Mustang forum and although I got plenty of views -- no one actually responded. So I'll try you guys. Here's my dilemma:

After waiting 6 months on backorder, the 65 palomino wheel I ordered from Dallas Mustang (a vendor I love) finally arrived. After opening the box, it wasn't quite what I expected.

My recollection of original palomino steering wheels was that they were a rusty light reddish-brown whose color was molded into the plastic. They were, as I recall -- very similar to the color of, well, a palomino horse.

What I got instead was a medium-chocolate brown wheel -- that was painted -- not with cast-in color. The paint had a fine metalflake to it -- which made it look more like a dark gold instead of a rusty light brown.

Now, I have to admit I did not order this wheel for a Mustang. I ordered it for my 65 Cyclone, whose factory wheel used the same mold as early Mustangs but had cast-in coloring that was unique to Cyclones and Falcon Sprints. The palomino coloring (that I recalled) would have been as close to the factory wheel color as anything else available (repro Cyclone/Sprint wheels were discontinued several years ago).

So...my question is is this "dark metallic gold painted" wheel an accurate reproduction of the factory Palomino wheel, or is this a low-dollar reproduction that approximates the factory wheel -- by using paint, rather than molded-in color?

Thanks for your input.
Glenn 66 GT FB 351w-toploader-3.25 Trac-Loc 9-in. Former midwest Rustbucket. Now a trophy-winning, beautiful burgundy restomod - thanks to sheetmetal donations from 3 other Mustangs as well as some new panels and alot of cash.
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

My brother's original '64.5 palomino wheel is lighter, sorta halfway between the upholstery and dash pad shades, definitely not a reddish-brown. All original wheels were molded in color, obviously.

Unfortunately, color molded repro wheels can suffer from some significant color accuracy issues, so your choice may be a molded wheel in a weird color or a painted wheel that's a better match. I've been fighting the same problem recently (blue, not palomino) and have a painted wheel on the way.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is the factory wheel in my 65 with Palomino interior
bizkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is the factory wheel in my 65 with Palomino interior. The wheel is not painted...just the color the plastic was. Seats were faded, but have since been re-upholstered with Palomino, I does have a more mottled brown color now.
bizkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, gents... I couldn't remember first-gen cars having painted wheels, and you guys have confirmed that for me. Even though a lot of DIY car resto experts recommend it, I've always been leary of painting steering wheels, as rings, watchbands, and just normal use tends to wear out paint.
The overall color of this repro wheel I have is not too far from the pictures provided (which are actually pretty darned close to the original Cyclone/Sprint wheel) but the wheel pictured is clearly NOT the metalic gold my new painted wheel is.
The Sprint/Cyclone original wheel is essntially that (same as picture) color (perhaps a bit browner) with swirls of black cast in -- in a somewhat cheesy attempt by FoMoCo's interiro design staff to mimic wood grain.
Scott Drake used to import a pretty good repro, whose color was just a bit too "orange" for the purists. They got so many complaints from concours restorers -- that they cancelled the contract to reproduce them with the Italian company making them for SD.

So if you are a serious Sprint/Cyclone restorer now, your choices are a Palomino Mustang wheel, or a (very expensive) restoration that probably still won't look right -- because of the difficulty involved in reproducing the dark "swirls" found in the original wheel.

Since there are only a few hundred surviving early Cyclones left, I doubt that anyone will ever reproduce the wheel again.

Guess I will have to use the painted wheel while I play around with dying epoxy to approximate the original wheel's color and filling the cracks. Mine will not be a concours restoration, so I suppose I can live with that compromise.

Thanks again for your help!
Glenn 66 GT FB 351w-toploader-3.25 Trac-Loc 9-in. Former midwest Rustbucket. Now a trophy-winning, beautiful burgundy restomod - thanks to sheetmetal donations from 3 other Mustangs as well as some new panels and alot of cash.
mrgem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.