Full Roller Suspension VS Coil Overs - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Full Roller Suspension VS Coil Overs

Iím debating between a street or track full roller setup or coil over setup for my 67. I plan on doing some auto crossing and was wondering if anyone regrets buying there coil over setup. Anyone like the full roller setup better than the coil over setup? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Hawkvenom67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I bought the full front coil over and stayed with mid-eye 4.5 leafs in back, and have not driven the car yet with it on (so take this with a grain of salt). The guy working on my car for me RAVES about how well it handles. He restores Cobras and vintage Mustangs as a hobby and is in love with my car. I looked at buying the Watts for the rear, but Shaun said it was probably overkill for a street car (I only autocross 1-2 times a year).
That said, I probably could have bought one of his roller packages and been perfectly happy and saved quite a bit of money. I would call Shaun and ask his advice. He is really open and honest and doesn't want to sell you something you won't be happy with. He prefers happy customers (like me) that will come back and recommend his kits.
Wsmatau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a coilover front end and can tell you the difference in ride quality is amazing. The spring reaction time is a lot quicker resulting in a smoother ride over rough surfaces. I now power over speed bumps same as in a modern car. Cornering is also improved considerably.
Suspension technology has came a long way in the last 40 odd years.
RRS 3 link Rear End
RRS Rack and Pinion Steering
RRS Coilover Front Struts
393 Windsor

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5633/stang2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkvenom67 View Post
Iím debating between a street or track full roller setup or coil over setup for my 67. I plan on doing some auto crossing and was wondering if anyone regrets buying there coil over setup. Anyone like the full roller setup better than the coil over setup? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Our tubular roller arms for the conventional spring/shock arrangement use the same roller components as our tubular arms for our coilover system. No difference there. What you gain with our coilover is a slightly better shock with roller bearing monoballs each end, easy ride height changes, better motion ratio and choice of springs in 25lb increments.

Shaun
www.streetortrack.com
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have full coil overs on all 4 corners... At speeds below 75-80, it feels quite modern. Above 80 it starts to get a little floaty. Above 100 it starts to get a little scary... That all said, I have not driven a stock suspended mustang since 1996.

I do question if there is some way I can get mine to feel more planted at high speeds as I put a LOT of $$ into the suspension with ideas of the track in my head.

One Man, One Arm, One Car...
(and one laptop to Google "How-To everything"...
1965 Fastback which I restomodded/murdered in my garage...

In just one year!

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...90/Oneyear.jpg
theman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was fortunate enough to have been for a ride at speed in Shaun's track car last year on a road course. And wow what a ride is was.

I was really impressed how the car handled and was more impressed with how smooth the ride was. I really expected to be bounced around like I was in a go kart. Great handling and a smooth ride, whats not to like.

Gary

67 CV 289 A Code
gtonavy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman1990 View Post
I have full coil overs on all 4 corners... At speeds below 75-80, it feels quite modern. Above 80 it starts to get a little floaty. Above 100 it starts to get a little scary... That all said, I have not driven a stock suspended mustang since 1996.

I do question if there is some way I can get mine to feel more planted at high speeds as I put a LOT of $$ into the suspension with ideas of the track in my head.
I think you are looking in the wrong direction. Aerodynamics is likely what you'll need to improve upon. These cars have pretty poor aerodynamics at the front of the car, and the uplift at high speeds do exactly as you describe. The suspension and steering can't function correctly when there is little weight on the tires
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Ron Morris-like Motor Mounts
DIY Engine Crossmember
DIY Camber Eccentric Eliminator Plates
buening is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, I figured it was likely an aerodynamics problem... I've considered a chin spoiler but the reality is, you have to be really close to the ground for them to work well. No way am I going to louver up the fenders etc to alleviate the high pressure areas though...

One Man, One Arm, One Car...
(and one laptop to Google "How-To everything"...
1965 Fastback which I restomodded/murdered in my garage...

In just one year!

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...90/Oneyear.jpg
theman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman1990 View Post
Yeah, I figured it was likely an aerodynamics problem... I've considered a chin spoiler but the reality is, you have to be really close to the ground for them to work well. No way am I going to louver up the fenders etc to alleviate the high pressure areas though...

There are a few options to remove the HP air from under the hood and not all of them are good for a daily driver.....You can vent the cowl from the firewall out....this works but not always what you may want to do...
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Anyone use RideTech coil over setup? Been thinking about doing that in my 67.
strtcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Personally, I think there's a lot of hype surrounding coilover suspensions. When I look at the front suspension of my Mach 1, I see a shock inside a coil spring. Isn't that a coilover?

I'm sure there are benefits to a coilover suspension over a modified factory suspension. But boy, those coilover setups are a lot more money. I guess one would have to think hard about how the car will actually be used and if the benefits are worth the extra money and extra fabrication. If the extra cost and work are justified, hey, go for it. But I've seen some Mustangs that handled amazingly well with slightly modified factory suspensions; no coilover.

I do admit I'm a very skeptical person. I feel the same way about rack and pinion setups. I've driven many classic Mustangs and I've driven a Mustang II. The Mustang II had a factory rack and pinion. It handled nice, but it was far from an earth-shattering improvement over the old steering setup.

Similarly, I see a lot of hype about IRS setups. And I always recall the Shelby prototype with IRS. It really didn't do anything more than the straight axle; other than add more weight. Did I mention I'm a skeptical person?

Last edited by Klutch; 05-14-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Coil Over

As Shaun mentioned above when you can improve the motion ratio and reduce the spring force needed you can improve the performance of the suspension. So, I think some coil over suspensions that are well designed will provide a noticeably benefit. One measurable data point is lap times. I think Shaun's rear 3-link managed to turn faster laps than his regularly sprung rear end. Not sure if they have the same data on the front suspension mods.

I agree with you on the Rack & Pinion Vs. Worm & Sector. The two best driving cars I've driven have Worm & Sector steering.

Regarding IRS systems, I think they come into their own on bumpy windy roads. On flat roads solid axle cars will be as good and easier to tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
Personally, I think there's a lot of hype surrounding coilover suspensions. When I look at the front suspension of my Mach 1, I see a shock inside a coil spring. Isn't that a coilover?

I'm sure there are benefits to a coilover suspension over a modified factory suspension. But boy, those coilover setups are a lot more money. I guess one would have to think hard about how the car will actually be used and if the benefits are worth the extra money and extra fabrication. If the extra cost and work are justified, hey, go for it. But I've seen some Mustangs that handled amazingly well with slightly modified factory suspensions; no coilover.

I do admit I'm a very skeptical person. I feel the same way about rack and pinion setups. I've driven many classic Mustangs and I've driven a Mustang II. The Mustang II had a factory rack and pinion. It handled nice, but it was far from an earth-shattering improvement over the old steering setup.

Similarly, I see a lot of hype about IRS setups. And I always recall the Shelby prototype with IRS. It really didn't do anything more than the straight axle; other than add more weight. Did I mention I'm a skeptical person?

Last edited by jimeast; 05-15-2013 at 10:14 AM.
jimeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have:
+ coilover (on LCA)
+ R&P
+ small spoiler in front
+ thin gauge aluminum from valance to Damper to divert air
+ lots of caster

>130 MPH feels very stable

Before I made these modifications it was very "floaty" over 100MPH

Last edited by slow-poke; 05-14-2013 at 05:34 PM.
slow-poke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default 130 MPH Stable

Did you make any of these changes incrementally in a way you can speak to the relative benefit of each change? Very curious about the small spoiler and diverter (Any pictures of both?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-poke View Post
I have:
+ coilover (on LCA)
+ R&P
+ small spoiler in front
+ lots of caster

jimeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-poke View Post
I have:
+ coilover (on LCA)
+ R&P
+ small spoiler in front
+ lots of caster

At 130 MPH, I expect a coilover and multi link rear would be beneficial.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.