Fair price for engines? 351w/351c - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fair price for engines? 351w/351c

I have two engines. Both were running when pulled. They are both a little bit unique, so I wasn't sure if they'd be worth a little more than later year models. I have a 1970 351c 4v, closed chamber heads, etc. I also have a 2v 351w that came from a 1969 mustang.

What's a fair price to ask if I put them on craigslist?

See my Christian T Shirts!
gijoe985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

As used engines of uncertain condition, they are generally considered "cores" and valued accordingly. If they came from cars that are being restored along the concourse "numbers matching" route, they would have additional intrinsic value to the current owners of those numbers matching cars. Beyond that, not sure what you have in mind as to value. Have you looked for recent sales of like condition engines as a guide?

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles*
JeffTepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

If the engine is out then the buyer cannot hear it run and has to take your word on it that it's good. I bought an engine about a year ago and around here a good running 351W is about $800 depending on what comes with it. If its just a core I would say $200 or less, also I pay less if I can't hear it run and get a guarantee in writing that I can return it if it's junk.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46771507/Coral.jpg
Blue68Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

A good 68-72 351W standard bore block goes for around $300-$400 around here.

I tried to sell a running 351C 4V cleveland with a standard bore a few years ago. I started out asking for $1200. I eventually got down to $800 and still couldn't sell it. I ended up parting it out and got about $800 out of it when all was said and done.

YMMV
Old 05-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can buy most any engine from our area salvage yards that have been sitting and can't be run, for a tad over their scrap value. If they can be started then it depends on what you're looking at....a late 5.0, say, in a Crown Vic with 100k may be $200, a Northstar from a Caddy will be a bit more expensive.

When you buy not running with no other details I'd expect to pay $100 for either of these 2 engines. Once I get it home and open it up and find a cylinder full of water or antifreeze or a valve dropped then that just complicated things for me.

I think if I had these to sell and my time was my own (and I had the tools), I'd pull the heads and the pan, mike a cylinder bore and a crank and rod journal, have the photo's to go along with it, and ask a better price, based on condition.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've seen people sell clean '69 351w blocks for $500. They're better than later blocks because of the high nickel content. I think the Cleveland is worth about the same, if it has the 4v heads.
'84 GT-350 5.0, 5-speed
'91 LX Convertible 5.0, 5-speed
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah ford engines go really cheap compared to pontiac blocks. you see them running for $6-800 dollars all the time here in michigan. Need to find one myself b/c I dont want to put matching numbers one back into my GT. That is complete with everything. I want a 69 4v so it is taking a little longer to find what I want but it should turn ip within next month.
1965: New yorker 1968: GTO convert, Lemans convert Porche 911 1969: MustangGT convert, mustang Mach1,GTO convert, Firbird Convert 1970 Boss 302, 1972: Charger 1999:f250 CNG truck 2011:nissan altima Gotta get rid of some of these lol
69DroptopGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

I bought a '69 351w off of Craigslist for about $300. After tearing it apart, I found it to pretty much be all original and standard bore. It felt like a risky move on my part, as I had no idea what I would find inside. Here's what it looked like:

MichaelJames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good to know Fords go for less than Ponchos!
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.