Vintage Mustang Forums banner

HOW-TO: 65-66 Seat Upholstery. Convert standard to PONY! Lots of pics!

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  1965Coupe 
#1 ·
I've been posting pictures from the '66 resto here:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...den-wiring-big-radiator-shaved-holes-etc.html

Since you can't change titles on VMF, I didn't want this how-to posting to go unnoticed.

So, here it is!

BEFORE:

After stripping your old seat frames, and checking for cracks that might need welding, give them a good coat of primer/paint:

Depending on where you live, set the new vinyl outside for a bit. In southern CA on a warm, sunny day, an hour will suffice.. maybe less. In the Pacific Northwest, you're better off with a halogen shop lamp ;)

New foam is CRUCIAL! Don't skimp. And don't buy the cheap foam. You'll also need a few hundred hog rings, hog ring pliers, and some pretty hefty wire cutters in case you need to remove a hog ring.

You'll need to lay down some new 'burlap' - in this case, I use vinyl remnants.

Foam goes on next. Nothing tricky here. Just make sure you order the right foam for the right seat (it is different for standard vs deluxe). And please, I repeat, BUY NEW FOAM!

With the new vinyl turned inside-out, install the wire listings. Even if the old ones were re-usable, they were for std seats; deluxe seats have a different layout. I like HEAVY coat hangers. Cut to size, bend, and make loops on the end.

Make sure everything is lined up. I've seen a lot of crooked seats at shows.

The listings go down in the crevices of the foam. You'll need to use one hand to shove them in place, and another hand on the back of the seat (or bottom of seat) to attach them with hog rings.

Start at the inner wire listing. BE careful not to let a hog ring go too far and puncture your new seats.

Carefully lay down the rest of the cover

And keep on hogging

And now comes the fun part..

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice work. And a rewarding DIY as its something you see/use every time you drive it... or just walk by and look.

#3 ·
Where were we?

Carefully pull it over the foam, as if you're putting sheets on your mattress, and they shrunk in the dryer. It takes a lot of finesse, but be careful not to rip the seams.

Things are starting to take shape.

Keep working it

You might have to pull it back off, re stretch it, etc. I would NOT suggest a heat gun.. too harsh on the vinyl if you don't know what you're doing. Don't get frustrated.

The main concern at this point is checking to see if the vinyl is 'straight' - if the listings need to be adjusted, or the whole cover needs to be twisted; now is your last chance:

ALMOST!

SO close!!!

Hopefully you have small hands.. just reach in and keep finessing.

THIS is what you want!

Here's the finished product.. sorry they're inside a dark room, waiting to go in the car

It's the same process for the seat top. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Next up, rear seats!

#6 ·
I would give it a try, if I were you!! I did my '65 seats when I was about 18. Just find a nice comfy spot on the floor and put something good on the TV.

Don't plan on getting them done in one session.. And don't install a hog ring until you feel comfortable with how the covers go on. Or at least install just a few hog rings to hold the cover in place, then put the 'finishing rings' in place.

Attachments

#5 ·
Well crud, I don't have any how-to pictures. But for the rears, remember to replace the burlap with any foam batting.

BEFORE:

Tops of seats have cotton. But it's a good idea to add a layer or two of cotton batting

It will look like this. Those are shipping wrinkles that'll go away once the car is in the sun

I swear I took more pictures of the rear seat resto, so once I find them, I'll post them.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Some cars will have pristine seat frames - just depends on the climate where the car is from. My '65 frames didn't need any painting..

As for reference, both my '65 and the '66 seats had already been done at some point in time, so they weren't good as references either way. The '65 seats were really crooked, and the '66 seats were standard upholstery, so not compatible as a reference.

Your best bet is to take LOTS of pictures!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.