1966 Rear-End - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1966 Rear-End

I understand the stock rear-end for a '66 Mustang with a 289/302 should be an 8" and the in-line six's came with the smaller 7" or 7.5" If im looking for a direct 9" bolt-in to put in a '66, what would be some good donor cars? Trying to avoid any cutting or welding.

I'm not sure what's under my '66. It came with the 289, but I was read that all 8" came with five lug axles. Well, all my wheels look like they're five lugs, but it looks like one lug was cut off all four wheels. I would think if they were four lugs by the manf., the lugs would be spaced evenly. Just looking for a little insight before I start to tackle it this weekend.
Mac74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here's a good link to read through: Kevinstang's Ford Nine Inch Differential Page +

On edit, I found another link: http://www.ultrastang.com/info1.php

It'll help with ID'ing what you have and where to start looking for a replacement 9".

Last edited by Ponyboychris; 05-17-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Ponyboychris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I also have 66 was searching wed Jaguar. will fit went to my JY page 15 jags most missing the rear .. LOL DazeCars, Mustang IRS or Indepen dent Rear Suspension good reading on cheap rear for 66
hughnews1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

if 4 lug they are evenly spaced. sounds like yours had locks and they chopped off a lug on each spindle/axle. wes
mustang656man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Direct bolt-in would be a 9 inch from another '65-66 Mustang. A '57-59 station wagon or Ranchero rear is an "almost" bolt in but requires '67-68 shock plates and u-bolts, new axles (big Ford's have 5 on 4 3/4" bolt circle, not the 5 on 4 1/2" needed), and I'm not sure whether your 8 inch backing plates and brake assemblies will bolt to the axle housings flange without some welding and re-drilling.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

The Versailles is what i went with. Its a direct bolt in. The Lincoln rear disc are funky, but you don't have to use them.

1997 Cobra Convertible (stock)
1965 Mustang 302, T5, 9 Inch
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...-100-1108.html
tx65coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac74 View Post
I'm not sure what's under my '66. It came with the 289, but I was read that all 8" came with five lug axles. Well, all my wheels look like they're five lugs, but it looks like one lug was cut off all four wheels. I would think if they were four lugs by the manf., the lugs would be spaced evenly. Just looking for a little insight before I start to tackle it this weekend.
You can solve this problem quite easily by replacing the cut-off studs. Studs are about $3 each, and I would replace the axle seals at the same time, about $20 each.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the delayed response. I'm a Deputy Sheriff and it's been a long shift.

Fast68, I'm not sure whether I'm going with the 302 or the 351W right now. The 289 seems to be a pretty strong motor that has had a little work done to it, so I will leave as is for now. I'm looking at the 9in. so if I do go with the built up 351W, I will know I have a rear-end that can handle it. I would like to be around 400hp. And the car is a automatic.

Mustang656man, never even thought about that. But it does make sense that a previous owner had to cut of lugs because they did'nt have keys to locks.

I've read several different views on the 8in. being able to handle a nice 351W and I would like to do it all right the first time and not regret it later. I've been looking for a good 9in. that will bolt right in and they appear to be pretty scarce around here, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx65coupe View Post
The Versailles is what i went with. Its a direct bolt in. The Lincoln rear disc are funky, but you don't have to use them.
The Versailles rear is NOT a direct bolt in. It's 2 inches wider than the '65-66 rear, requires the '67+ shock plates, and you need to either swap your existing brake backing plates, etc. over or hook up the rear discs to your existing brake system, including the parking brake. If you have drum brakes on the front and want to keep the rear discs, you also need to change the front brakes to disc.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac74 View Post
I've read several different views on the 8in. being able to handle a nice 351W and I would like to do it all right the first time and not regret it later. I've been looking for a good 9in. that will bolt right in and they appear to be pretty scarce around here, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
The only original 9" for the 64-66 Mustang was 64-66 Mustangs with the 289 High Performance engine. A very, very, very scare item anywhere. You can have one made, of course.

Short of that, Currie offers a reproduction 8" 4-pinion Traction-Lok differential that's stronger than many original 9" differentials.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

So, it sounds like it would be easier to build up the 8".
Old 05-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Re

I was doing some research last night and found some info on putting a 8.8 Explorer rear under 65/66 Mustangs with some modfiication. Anyone ever did this swap? I actually have an old explorer rear end out back so I figured I'd look into it as an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.