Muscle car defined? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Muscle car defined?

1) What is a "MUSCLE CAR"?

2) Is Mustang a "MUSCLE CAR"?

MUSCLE CAR is used loosely and it seems everyone has their opinion, one way or another. The first question was asked by someone else in another thread. I thought I'd bring it to life with this thread to see what responses we get.

Have a GREAT MEMORIAL DAY
Mustmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

How about an American car with some degree of muscle. Seriously I consider it to be cars mostly from the mid sixties to the early seventies that had some kind of performance appeal.

Mild 302
T-5
Global West arms
TCP Strut Rods
Wilwood Ft. Discs
235/45/17 ft
275/40/17 rear
Always a work in progress

63 Falcon Ragtop
New project for my honey
Hers to my His, er...Hers
restodude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

There's no official definition. Back in the early-mid 60's, they were super cars, "muscle" didn't appear until later. I'd say "Muscle Car" starts at 389 cid, and larger. Smaller than that was just family cars. I suppose there were exceptions both ways. I had a neighbor who complained his new Dodge station wagon was noisy. Went for a ride. It was exhaust noise. From the 440 Police Interceptor engine. Is that a muscle car? Maybe. Dark green with "wood" sides. And very daggone fast. Never see them at shows, though.

Mustangs could be an exception to the cid size. You could make a real good case for the BOSS 302, for example.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

The traditional definition used to be "an intermediate car with a big car engine" or, for an example, along the lines of a '64 GTO, which was GM's intermediate, with the 389 from the "big" car (Bonneville/Catalina). That was really the start of the "Muscle Car".

The Mustang started the "Pony Car" craze which was followed by Camaro/Firebird, Cuda/Challenger, Javelin, Cougar, etc. Even though you could get a Mustang stuffed with a 428 to me it's still a Pony Car, a 4-passenger, long hood, short deck, 2-door hardtop, coupe or convertible. Does it have some "muscle"? Sure, but it's no more a "Muscle Car" than a Corvette.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice answers guys. Same thoughts here about that bartl. FORD didn't really seem to be thinking "muscle" when they came out with the 65/66 Mustang. Nothing muscle about my Mustangs I've had in the past. I think the GTO was the milestone car that really ignited things back then...three deuces, hurst shifters, etc.
Mustmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Muscle cars were simply Fast and Loud cars from the late sixties and early seventies. Mustangs were clearly not muscle cars at first and originally marketed as four seater family sports cars that were transformed into muscle cars in the late 60's. Here are my two Mustangs that would be a great example of what I am talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0462.jpg (97.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1799.jpg (92.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCOBRA View Post
Muscle cars were simply Fast and Loud cars from the late sixties and early seventies. Mustangs were clearly not muscle cars at first and originally marketed as four seater family sports cars that were transformed into muscle cars in the late 60's. Here are my two Mustangs that would be a great example of what I am talking about.
My Thoughts here.

The 64/65/66 Mustang early HiPo cars were indeed muscle cars.

The 271 HP cars were very a equal to the 64 GTO in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile when setup correctly.

We have Mopped many a 396 Chevelle on the strip.

Dan
CHOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

To me, a muscle car is a car that is meant to be fast and loud and marginally practical at best. A Chevelle's a muscle car, as is a GTO. A Mustang is a pony car, which in my mind not only refers to the Mustang's emblem but also to the type of car - a "smaller horse". Less horsepower, more practical, smaller, but still very fast. So, Camaros and Firebirds would also count as pony cars.

Of course, now some vintage Mustangs have become muscle cars in that they have huge amounts of horsepower and aren't practical for much. At that point the only thing that arguably makes them still "pony cars" is their small size.

Calamity Jane 1966 Fastback
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

Currently road tripping - 7 weeks and 7000 miles! See the travel blog here: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
Kelly_H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

250/300+ HP & torque light wt. (less than 3500 lbs.)= Muscle.
Term didn't really start to be used until the end of era in 70"s.
gimpystoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mustangs are Pony cars. Intermediates, Torinos, Fairlanes, Cyclones, of the like with big blocks are the muscle cars for Ford.
Pontiac definitely started it with the GTO and ended it probably with the Super Duty Trans am of 74.

Kevin
1965 Fastback-Scat 331, Dart heads, FPA headers, Air Gap intake, 650 Ultra DP, Cobra pan, Lunati VooDoo cam 61003, C-4, 10 inch converter, Reverse manual valve body,Detroit Truetracw/3.50s, subframe connectors.
1968 S-code Torino Fastback= project
1966 A-code Mustang coupe=Basket case not sure what to do with it used some parts for the fastback.

Last edited by 65since88; 05-26-2013 at 07:20 PM.
65since88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

When I was a kid a neighbor had a 57 Olds J2 2dr hardtop which I believe was one of the first "musclecars".I think it was defined more by factory eqpt than year. Some of the fuelie 57 Chevy black widows would also fall into the category
289kcode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

I would say the Muscle Car has to have at least 351 c.i. and are intermediate sized. So that leaves out the '65-'66 (in stock form).
66kcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Younger people can yawn. Here comes an old guys perspective:
Muscle cars started as big, expensive cars. Duesenburgs were legends in their time. The first Buick Century was a straight 8 in the 40's had dual carbs and a guaranteed 100 mph...thus century. In 48 Chrysler had the Hemi. Back then a real 200+ hp was a lot. For 49 the Olds Rocket was hot. In 55 there was the Chrysler 300. The legendary Hudson Hornet was a big car with a dual carb hot I6.

In the 60s the car market was hit with a bunch of smaller and compact cars that were more than low priced economy cars. Many were available with a V8 from the full size car. Olds F85, Buick Special, Chebby Cheville, Ford Fairlane, Dodge Dart etc.

The hottest mid size car I recall from then was the GTO. Pontiac had sold performance as well as wide track handling for years. The GTO was the combination with a smaller car and big power!

The Mustang was marketed from the start as a sporty low priced small car that with all the options could be built to suit. The K code hi po made it competitive with other mid/small cars.

Don't know when, where or who coined the muscle car phrase but IMO it came back when full size hot cars were King!

Slim
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hard to put a min. C.I. number on it, early K cars and Boss 302's have to be considered in that class. But, I agree most 1rst. generation cars would be pony cars rather than muscle cars.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

There will never be a correct definition. Different regions, different age groups, different races, and even the different genders have different names for even things we use or eat every day.

My wife's parents are from the northwest, I had no Idea a "rompus room" is what we in the south call a "bonus room".

Soda, pop, coke, soda pop is another big one, as is sub, hoagie, foot long, grinder, etc.

As long as there are people of different ages, races, regions, and genders there will never be a fully agreed upon definition. There are some crazy variations in what is a "rat rod" or a "hot rod" as well. Some people think classic cars should ONLY be anything 1972 and older and others anything that's 20 or 25+ years old is a classic (sounds crazy to think of a 93 camry as a classic, huh?)

So what is a pony car? A muscle car? Damn fun to drive, that's what
65 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.