Average cost to restore a mustang? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
Most importantly, know what you're getting into! Many a Mustang owner has considered committing seppuku after he has his prized car media blasted and sees very little left of the car. Check for rust, check for rust, check for rust!
I literally LOL'd Klutch, been there...

Malico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

From what iv seen I think i'm going to see if I can find a lighter project car.

Thanks for the feed back everyone!

Thanks to spooner for that awesome quote

My vehicles

1966 mustang coupe 200ci

2003 Chevy Malibu (I know you guys are jealous)
Schmitdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

You might want to update your other thread asking the same question.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

To answer your question.....

"If you can do a lot of the work yourself, about five grand more than it will be worth when you are done. If you need to farm out the work, about the same amount of dough needed to buy a NEW 2014 Mustang V6... and when done it will be worth about half what you spent."

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

You can easily spend $9000 just on bodywork and paint and Im not talking about showcar quality - just decent. Ask me how I know (on a 1968 coupe that was NOT a rust bucket), and that was 10 years ago.

EDIT:
My Mustang was in BETTER condition that the coupe in your link when I had the bodywork/paint done.

Paul

Last edited by Paul1958; 08-03-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Paul1958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malico View Post
I am about 10k in at this point, without the family discount on the paint and body it would have been 15k. I figure I have about 6-8k more.
Malilco,
I'll bet you have more like $15K or more to go. Its a self-fulfilling prophesy - now that you have a super finished body/paint you are not going to be satisfied with a ho-hum engine, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, wheel, interior, wiring, etc. You are just starting to spend money. It will really be something when you are done but I would bet you will put $25-30K into it total.
Paul1958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malico View Post
I literally LOL'd Klutch, been there...
Oh yeah. Me too. Famous last words: "Gee, that cowl looks like it's solid." Shortly thereafter, I was welding in a new cowl.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #23 (permalink)

i learned to wheel and deal...part cars out etc....the below car cost me about 5-6k total to build including the price of the car...(obviously it needs paint) but i built a bad *** car on the cheap....375-400 hp 5.0 built roller cam engine..t5 5 speed 1996 explorer 8.8 rear with 373 gears trac lok 31 splines and disc brakes..custom alum ds, 2005 mustang gt front brakes, mustang steve power brake conversion, open tracker roller spring perches and roller a arms, rosehill solid adj strut rods, fiberglass hood and decklid...

if u do absolutely everything on your own and be creative about the parts u put on , it can b done cheap...mechanicay...however unless u can dyi your own bodywork, thats still gonna add thousands

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1375593590770.jpg (63.0 KB, 42 views)
-66 mustang 5.0 custom comp cam roller, edelbrock performer heads, airgap/670 carb,holley blue pump,2005 mustang discs, t5z trans with clutch cable, 130 amp taurus alt. 1996 explorer 373 8.8 rear, open tracker roller suspension, solid adj strut rods and more
-72 maverick 302 undergoing FULL resto
v8only is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitdy View Post
Hello all,

I'm looking at buying this mustang to restore

1968 Ford Mustang 2 door notchback

My question is, how much would you think it would cost to restore it? That's if it has very little rust. This mustang runs and drives but it just needs breaks and a little body work then a paint job, and interior work. (which really doesn't bother me that much). How much would you think it would cost to restore it so it looks pretty decent. I may decide to put a 289 or a 302 in later on but haven't decided yet. I'm hoping to do it mostly all by my self unless I don't have the tools to do it.
Schmidty! Good to hear from you again.

If I were you, I'd avoid this car in particular. My car was in good, driveable, shape when I bought it and that was the main reason I bought it. Thinking "I can do little things here and there to keep it running and looking good." and knowing full well that it was going to take a loooooong time for almost any kind of restoration.
It takes a lot of money to restore a car and every time you fix something, you find something else that needs to get fixed.

This car is going to have more rust than you know whet to do with (I've learned that even a good car has a lot of rust) and trust me, that feeling sucks. You start thinking "what ISN'T wrong with this thing?!?" and it gets discouraging.

Please don't let anyone discourage you from getting a vintage mustang, but do take the advice here seriously when looking for a car.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all though, here's what I would do in your position:

Find a car that works for what you need. (getting to/from work or school, and other activities)
Then continue looking for a mustang. That way if the mustang's transmission goes out (like mine did a few weeks ago) you'll have something that still gets you around.
At 1200 bucks you can always find something that you can work on. And for 3000 you can find something that works even better (even if it needs more paint). The point here being that you always have options.

Hope this helps

This is Betty. My babygirl and first car (vintage or otherwise)
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/...psdfff32cb.jpg
Life's tough. Drive a Vintage Mustang.
Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #25 (permalink)

Take how much you think it'll cost to restore it, then double it.

Looking for project:
1969/1970 Cougar Eliminator, 428CJ or Boss 302
1969 Mach 1 428CJ
1970 Boss 302
SeaninSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #26 (permalink)

Oh, and that car mentioned in the other thread is a great option to keep an eye out for

1968 mustang coupe PRICE REDUCED

This is Betty. My babygirl and first car (vintage or otherwise)
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/...psdfff32cb.jpg
Life's tough. Drive a Vintage Mustang.
Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #27 (permalink)

I've built 3. 1970 put about 20k into it did everything but paint

1965 16k into a straight 6 for my moms 60th birthday. It was her first car growing up no one touched that car but me painted myself

And right now a 1967 coupe. Ill be at about 14-16k with this but it will be everything I want. Fuel injection matte white all matte black accents, t-5 4 wheel disc brakes.
3 months into so far from this to this:

All three cars I've built myself. Can say by now it's all what you get in the deal that saves money. This newest build the 302 and t-5 was in the car already.

1200 is a good deal if rust free dont waste money to build the straight six. Just build it for v8.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ajpentland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1958 View Post
Malilco,
I'll bet you have more like $15K or more to go. Its a self-fulfilling prophesy - now that you have a super finished body/paint you are not going to be satisfied with a ho-hum engine, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, wheel, interior, wiring, etc. You are just starting to spend money. It will really be something when you are done but I would bet you will put $25-30K into it total.
I have a lot of the parts in that 10k, as I said I got a crazy discount on the body work that saved me about 8-10k over a normal shop. Plus I did a ton of trading off old parts for new ones that ended up being a wash.

Malico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #29 (permalink)

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to keep looking and see if I can find one like this one,
1968 mustang coupe PRICE REDUCED

Sooner or later the prefect one will show up.

Thanks to spooner for that awesome quote

My vehicles

1966 mustang coupe 200ci

2003 Chevy Malibu (I know you guys are jealous)
Schmitdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #30 (permalink)

There you go. That car is twice the price, but a much better deal.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.