67 restoration - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 67 restoration

Multiple goal time

1. Leaky oil dipstick 289 timing cover with the original tappered oil dipstickwhat is the best silcon/ way to seal this problem

2.oil sending unit hookup where does the wire run from and what should the reading on said wire wire be running (pictures would be lovely)
3.whats the appropriate amount to tighten the e-brake cable?

4.cigarette lighter instalation advice

5.how do i find the leak in my powersteering i blieve it to be coming from the rack but im not sure any advice?

Thankyou in advance for your time to view and help a fellow vmfer
dakkar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Leaky oil dipstick 289 timing cover with the original tappered oil dipstickwhat is the best silcon/ way to seal this problem

clean it well, use ultra black high temp silicone gasket maker.

xxxxx

2.oil sending unit hookup where does the wire run from and what should the reading on said wire wire be running (pictures would be lovely)

There is a 3 wire harness from the firewall, 1 = tremp sender, 1 = coil, last 1 = oil temp sender, it might be white.

xxxxx

i tighten until handle pulls out almost 2/3rd of the way so brakes don't drag.

xxxxx

reacch under dash, pull wire off orig, unthread off. it sometimes requires a nudge with pliers.

xxxxx

5.how do i find the leak in my powersteering i blieve it to be coming from the rack but im not sure any advice?

there is no rack, spray brake cleaner on the rubber boot of the cast iron control valve then remove original metal band on rubber boot on ram, pull boot back exposing shaft, brake clean inside of boot and seal in ram, start it up, turn wheel several times then look for leaks.

Last edited by barnett468; 08-07-2013 at 11:01 PM.
barnett468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakkar View Post
Multiple goal time

1. Leaky oil dipstick 289 timing cover with the original tappered oil dipstickwhat is the best silcon/ way to seal this problem

Depends on the cause. If it's the dipstick, then replace it. If it's the cover, then JB Weld it.

IIRC, wire comes from harness on the driver's side apron. The signal voltage comes through the gauge from the IVR and is a pulsing voltage. If you ground the wire the gauge should sweep to full. The sender, itself, should be around 0 ohms with engine off, and resistance increases as pressure increases to a max of around 73 ohms.

After you've properly adjusted the brake shoes at each rear wheel, you want to adjust the parking brake so that it will hold the car from moving forward or backward when the handle is about 1/2 way out.

Lighter is a 2-piece affair with the socket inserted from the front of the dash and the outside housing from the back. Lighter feed comes from the fuse panel on the same circuit that feeds the hazard flashers, IIRC.

Unless you put in a rack & pinion, there is no steering rack, just a box, and an external assist "ram" unit. To trace leaks I always clean up the area thoroughly and use a fluorescing additive in the fluid that reacts to a blacklight. You can get it at NAPA.

Thankyou in advance for your time to view and help a fellow vmfer
HTH

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys
dakkar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.