Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Going to the 50th? $$$$$$

8K views 53 replies 37 participants last post by  PonyDoc 
#1 ·
My thoughts on the 50th.
The 50th Mustang celebration at Charlotte has seemed to develop into a huge money grab by the organisers. It seems they are taking advantage of this special day for Mustang enthusiasts by charging an ridiculously exorbitant fee to attend. Two previous anniversary events were about half that cost.

The group that I usually travel with to National Mustang shows are seriously considering on not attending because of the $150.00 cost of admission for the event for one car and two people.

On the registration form there is a $50.00 dollar charge for a "goody bag" which it does not seem to be able to be opted out from. At the 40th and 45th this goodie bag was included in the admission. It consisted of a box cotaining a bunch of Mustang catalogs ,advertising and a comemorative piece of plastic. That my friends is not worth 50 bucks. Money grab.
On a side note the goody bag can be purchased by any one even if they don't enter a car or attend the event, not much of an incentive if any Tom Dick and Harry buys one. Money grab.

Since there will not be a Grand National in 2014 the MCA in will be giving a "special" award to those of us that earned a gold during the two previous years, a piece of plastic that still not justify the price of amission.

At this time I have not seen any worthwhile published itinerary for the event and it seems other than a $75.00 per person Saturday diner with a few dignitaries speaking and a Friday night car cruise to some town is what you get for being at the Charlotte venue. I can go to a very upscale restaurant with my wife for $150.00. Money grab again.

An interesting note on one of those cruises that we attended at the 45th. There were about 100 cars lined up to drive about 15 miles to the venue town. The drive there was a fiasco even though it was escrted by the local constabulary. No one seemed to know the best route to the town, cops included. Excessive speed and a route that was far longer than needed be, got the caravan to the town later than it was supposed to arrive. We were quite surprised that most of the spots on the main drag were already taken by the early bird vehicles that consisted of mostly organisers and their friends vehicles. The caravan Mustangs were directed to side streets and back alley ways to park. About 50% of the caravan left and returned to the host hotel. So much for the cruise ins.

I am going to think long and hard before I pay that kind of money for a piss poor itinerary just to sit by my car for three days.

See less See more
#5 ·
I hate to say, I do not see anything that really interest me? Is there going to be music or bands? Who is speaking and about what? Is there a juded show?

Drove my Mustang on the track at the Texas Motor Speedway for the speedway charity fund event, cost a lot less and did not have to wear a helmet and the money paid to drive on the track went to help somebody.

While I like/have interest/respect every year that the Mustang was made, I forsee 70% of the thousands of cars attending, being model years 2000 and up.

Swap meets today, do you really find a LOT of good deals? Everyone I go to, if they have a Mustang part they think it is rear gold, or if they specialize in Mustangs only, there are no real discounts.

If the event was like a Daytona Beach Bike week, I may be interested.
Or if I were a part of a small group of vintage Mustangs making the trip, the company of the small group, trip to CLT and back probably would be more fun than the event only.

My 2 cents, thanks for listening and please respect my views since I will respect yours views good/bad indefferent to mine.

#6 ·
I would think the expense for the event is likely going to rental of Charlotte Motor Speedway for 4 days, catered food at the banquet, security, A/V, cleanup during and after event, as well as insurance. I bet if they did a breakout of how much the event costs, it's more than the entry price and the rest is subsidized by vendors. That's just my guess - undeducated at that. But I do doubt that it's designed to line the pockets of the organizers. My dad was the president of a statewide car club and did not seek re-election because it was a thankless job, and no matter what he did, someone had an opinion that it should have been different.

#8 ·
I am comparing the cost with other anniversary show from the past at speedway venues for the cost comparison. As for the your comment on the banquet catering, it is 75 bucks per person so that is self supporting.
I think for the most part the volunteers and the MCA execs are doing a good job and should be thanked for their efforts, but where is the cost justification.

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
+1, go to Mustang Week if you don't like the 50th Anniversary Charlotte deal! Personally, I'll be going to both, though I will only be at the Charlotte event for 2 days (Friday/Saturday). The 50th year anniversary only comes around once and for that I will gladly shell out $150 to be a part of it. I won't pay $250 to go around the track, or anything else crazy - I'll save that for Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach, which is supposed to be much cheaper with a ton of events planned. Apparently you can learn to autocross there and they have multiple drag nights and all kinds of fun business.

Jeff's statement was very well said. If you don't want to go because you don't think it'll be good, don't go! Mustang Week is a good alternative if you're willing to put up with tourist season in Myrtle Beach, SC.

#11 ·
I'm with Kechke, big money grab. Gonna be a big car show full of late model mustangs, cheaper to go to my local dealer.

#12 ·
Glad to see others thought that this was a bit much...

The wife & I were all jazzed up with the thoughts of trailering our car down since we just finished it up this year, taking the kids along for a cool experience.

Then we hear of the steep costs associated with just getting into the place, no guarantee of getting on the track for even a photo op unless you pay for track time at $250. Idunno 'bout all that. :0/

Think that I'm gonna save myself the towing stress and trying to keep the kids entertained - staying in Pennsylvania come April '14.

SIDENOTE: While cruising the web for some '15 Mustang info, came across some articles concerning the F-150 that is also to be redesigned for '15 -- but get this, it's going to become a unibody platform!! :shocked: (Think Honda Ridgeline) No more body on frame construction! A Ford rep was quoted saying that most '150 owners don't buy a truck with towing/hauling as their main concern, they want a more carlike ride & fuel economy.

After this crappy new Mustang design, if this is for real.... WTF?

#14 ·
SIDENOTE: While cruising the web for some '15 Mustang info, came across some articles concerning the F-150 that is also to be redesigned for '15 -- but get this, it's going to become a unibody platform!! :shocked: (Think Honda Ridgeline) No more body on frame construction! A Ford rep was quoted saying that most '150 owners don't buy a truck with towing/hauling as their main concern, they want a more carlike ride & fuel economy.

After this crappy new Mustang design, if this is for real.... WTF?
Yes, Ford is going to jeapordize their entire future and F up the best selling vehicle on the planet by turning it into a slimmy little communist sh$t twinkle toed @ock s@cker weeny truck. RIGHT.

Did you happen to notice the date on that article?
Ford F-150 Going Unibody For 2015 - Truck Trend News

Paul

#13 ·
I'm torn too. If I do not go, I would probably regret it. If I go, I probably would not regret it. I do have a free place to stay on the south side of town. I really would like to go just to see the spectacle. You will probably never see as many Mustangs in one place ever again.

#15 ·
My 2 cents - The only thing I keep thinking about is how many 2000 up Mustangs will be there and how few vintage ones. Not that I don't care about the newer ones because I have a 2010 GT myself but where's the challenge in driving a modern car 2-3k miles over several days? Try that in a '69 with no A/C, 60's suspension & seats, questionable steering and you deserve more than a goody bag for your efforts. The Power Tour stressed the hell out of me this year (still enjoyed it though :) ) But still, not many vintage Ponies were to be seen across the 10 states I crossed.

I still may end up going because I probably won't be here for the 100th event (at least not driving)

#17 ·
50th

I have to agree that the costs associated with the 50th have gotten out of hand. I also can't see the amount charged and would also like to know if it's worth it, but I have to go and I do plan on having a good time. For those that feel they would like to get something for their $$'s, it's why I've planned all of the Pony Drives so getting there should be as much fun as being there. We also have a Goodie Box, but I'm trying to fill it so it's like our 40th Box- full of enough stuff to make you feel you got a good deal. I've also negotiated rates at hotels that will save more than the cost of registration for just hotel discounts! Our box will have a t-shirt, hat, patch, pin, license plate. ID card (plastic, like the 40th), decal, windshield banner, and we're still looking at some other items. We're working with local mustang clubs, Ford dealers, CVB's and anyone else than can help plan activities along the way. This isn't the Power Tour, where they just turn everyone loose in the morning- we stay together, sightsee, and make it a rolling party. This will be the 11th year of Pony Drives, so we're starting to get the hang of it. I also plan things for wives that couldn't care less about cars, so if they enjoy the trip & activities, you sure will too, if "Momma's happy". You can check the schedules at www.ponydrive.us to see if there's something there that looks like you might enjoy. There are 7 groups from all over the US, so 1 should be near you. For anyone coming from the NE to Norman, the Chain of Rocks Bridge- old RT 66, is worth the entire trip alone. We crossed it 2 years ago and took 2 hours, with all the pics and just looking at the Miss River & sights!

Attachments

#18 ·
Unfortunately for me I think the biggest turn OFF is Easter weekend.......WTH?

I Love Mustangs but if I'm in Charlotte Who will do the easter Bunny thing for my three kids? Additionally I'm not anti later models but If I wanted to look at them I'd drive around the corner to the dealership. I'm all about the seeing pre 79 Mustangs at shows especially 64-66's .....

#19 ·
The sponsorship packages aren't exactly chump-change either... But FWIW, I do know that the contract for the Charlotte facility was LIGHT-YEARS more expensive than past events, to the point that the entire deal almost got scuttled. I'd point to that as a main-driver of the costs.

Also, the goody bag is supposed to contain a ton of cool stuff... We're sponsoring a collectible Greenlight Die-cast car (four different versions actually) that's being specially-run for the event, and being tossed in each goody-bag.. Not that a die-cast by itself is worth $50 bucks, but it's one of many goodies they have planned.

Knowing what I know about the complexities of such a large event, I'd stop short of making accusations of "money-grabbing"... I'd be surprised if they make a profit after it's done, and I sure hope they do, because no club should ever shoulder a loss doing something like this. There's a lot of unpaid volunteerism here.

#20 ·
At the end of the day, for most folks a decision to spend money on an entertainment event (Concert, Sports Event, Car Show, etc) is based upon the desire to be there and participate. In some cases, that event promises to be a memorable, once in a lifetime event. That is what the Mustang 50th has been promoted to be. If what is being offered is perceived as being "not worth it" that is a personal decision based upon one's interests and the depth of their wallet. Choosing to pass is everyone's prerogative.

Putting on an event such as this one is a monumental task that takes tons of personal commitment and organizational fortitude. If what is being offered doesn't suit you, ask yourself: Where was I when the planning committee was seeking help?

Go or don't go, just don't whine about it.

#22 ·
At the end of the day, for most folks a decision to spend money on an entertainment event (Concert, Sports Event, Car Show, etc) is based upon the desire to be there and participate. In some cases, that event promises to be a memorable, once in a lifetime event. That is what the Mustang 50th has been promoted to be. If what is being offered is perceived as being "not worth it" that is a personal decision based upon one's interests and the depth of their wallet. Choosing to pass is everyone's prerogative.

Putting on an event such as this one is a monumental task that takes tons of personal commitment and organizational fortitude. If what is being offered doesn't suit you, ask yourself: Where was I when the planning committee was seeking help?

Go or don't go, just don't whine about it.
++++ Best post I've read in years.

#21 ·
I am curious about whether this is as much of a money grab as it is a supply and demand thing. I went on a Hot Rod Power tour and the wait for track time and dyno pulls was very long and the prices seemed to be very reasonable. I would have gladly paid more to not have to wait.

Just my .02

#25 ·
My club supports the annual Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup in Steamboat Springs. I'm not very involved with the goings-on, but we have a rep who attends all the meetings in Denver every month. The cost for next year's Roundup is going up significantly. Our rep said this is due almost exclusively to the cost of insurance.

While I don't know the details of the 50th Anniversary event, I'm sure insurance is a significant part of the cost. If insurance issues keep going as they are, soon such events won't be possible at all.

#27 ·
Having chaired an MCA show I definitely know how much work goes into one. My point earlier was that the powers that be at MCA really don't follow on here and yes, their forum leaves a lot to be desired. More members should share their points over there.
Stan

#34 ·
I have read, heard about and seen many posts about the "OFFICIAL" 50th for the Mustang
in Las Vegas and Charlotte....who made them the "OFFICIAL" ones????
The car was born in Dearborn Michigan, and thats where the greatest show on earth will be for the Mustang in August....Mustang Memories, put on by The Mustang Owners Club ofSoutheast Michigan! (MOCSEM) This is an annual event and is recognized as one of the best exhibitions of Mustangs anywhere. I suppose Ford will be hyping the 2014 and will get some trampy "artists" to hype their products and will turn their anniversary
party into a commercial nightmare.....like... has anyone been to the so called "Dream
Cruise" in the last few years...yipe what a nightmare...totally taken over and bought
up by people hawking merchandise.I hope I get to meet Mr. Iaccoca and also hope to spend time this summer with people like me who will be celebrating the birth of a truly
iconoic automobile, one that will never be duplicated, and I hope I will be doing it in
an atmosphere of fun and good times, not an event where everyone is grubbing for
money and trying to sell everything to everyone. Thanks for reading my rants!

#35 ·
Ford has designated the MCA events in Las Vegas and Charlotte as THE official Ford celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the Mustang.

#42 ·
I am going!! This will be my first Mustang event. My first track event too!! Look for a red and white 65 fastback going around the track on Friday. I plan to have a good time! I hope to meet some people from VMF too! If you are there stop and say HI to me!

#43 · (Edited)
This post is for the negative nay-sayers on here that have nothing to do but complain. Must be a miserable life for you, and you know who you are.

I look at it this way, "you don't want to go to the 50th???, Then "Don't Go", Geez!!! Is anyone twisting your arm to go?? Read about it in the News.

Just like some has said in this post, this is the 50th "Birthday Celebration of the Mustang", there's not another car in the American Auto Industry that can make that claim!!! (NO, not even the Corvette, there was no Corvette offered to the public in 1983).

My wife and I are personally extremely proud of our being involved with the Mustang for 43 years and YES, We are proud members of the MCA 27 years strong now.

Anybody here has problems with being a member of the MCA or its just not catering to your EVERY need, then cancel your membership......"Good Grief" !!!

No more post here, Have a Good Day !!!

#44 ·
I look at it this way, "you don't want to go to the 50th???, Then "Don't Go", Geez!!! Is anyone twisting your arm to go?? Read about it in the News.

Just like some has said in this post, this is the 50th "Birthday Celebration of the Mustang", there's not another car in the American Auto Industry that can make that claim!!! (NO, not even the Corvette, there was no Corvette offered to the public in 1983).
Never heard this before and I am a prior "Vette owner,......

The Missing 1983 Corvette! | Corvette Blog

#45 ·
Everything these days cost more folks. Go or don't Go. I along with several club members are making the trip to Charlotte. We may see something we've never seen. We may meet someone we would have never met. We may not see anything. We will however enjoy a great trip with friends to celebrate the car we love with our cars and each other.

As for the crowds, if it's worth being at there will be a crowd. I was nervous as heck with the Hot Rod Power Tour this year and did the long haul with 1000's of people at each venue. I learned to enjoy it and embrace it. It became part of the event.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.