Vintage Mustang Forums banner

70 Mach 1 resto

21K views 176 replies 38 participants last post by  silverfox 
#1 · (Edited)
In deference to seeing Klutch making the effort in posting on his 70 Mach 1 resto, i will start to share my experience on the resto of my '70 Mach 1.

Here is a plug for Klutch's post:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/721154-1970-mach-1-h-code-build.html

I live in England and just over 2.5 yrs ago I got into Mustangs and bought a '65 K code FB it is just about finished being restored in the US.

Anyways to cut a long story short I was getting bored waiting for the K code and though hey I will but myself a Mustang to restore. So in Sept 2012 I imported a'70 Mach 1 with good options and interestingly complete with '72 351 Cleveland high output engine (rebuild permitting)

Been working on the car slowly but surely over the last 16 months and I'll post some updates on my progress made over the next few nights.

More or less as described save for a missing prop shaft (?)

Was stood outside in Altanta and Virginia for some time.

Been told it needs floor and rear panel replacement and some work in the trunk floor area and the engine may require strip down (the good news is that it's a genuine 351C 4 bolt unit !!)

Dashpad and door cards cracked and probably need replacing. Strangely seats not too bad.

And finally a "present" that was left running around - "added value extra" that must have got through US immigration ......................;))

Strip down is next
Cheers
Chris

See less See more
#170 ·
So the dash pad is now in, finally I get to see what the interior might look like after weeks of work!

Ordered the front windscreen spacers and rear restraining supplementary bows direct via Ebay global shipping method - to my door in 5 days, decent price and great service, thanks Kentucky Mustang

Seats going away to be recovered in next 2-3 weeks.

Next step is do the head lining and front screen myself - not taking any notice of what folks in the UK say. If I can restore this, I'm sure I can do a headlining and windscreen installation.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach
#171 ·
Just spent a few hours reading your thread.
Very inspiring - so close to completion.

My recent purchase (70 Mach 1 M Code) was originally white but now red.

Makes me want to return it to original! The option is there as the paint and body is not that good butbetter than your start out though :grin2:

Well done and look forward to the finished product.

#173 ·
Well done sir. Keep it going.

Guys, thanks for the comments it is appreciated.

Not too much progress as so cold over here in England (OC or 32F for about 10 days now) and I have to push the car out into the open to work on it :frown2:
Hopefully some pics to follow in the next 2 weeks before I'm off to sunny Spain!
Chris

#174 ·
So some more bits and bobs done.

All the OEM trim is cleaned up and looks really good, relieved as the repop stuff is useless
New rear back up lights
Headlining sound insulation in pre-headlining
Found the front and rear screens out and starting to clean them up, not sure about front screen, top tint looks a bit iffy, might go for new screen, shame as front and rear are both original tinted Carlite screens
Rear interior 1/4 panels - all painted proper interior colour -used the "proper" US supplied vinyl prep stuff, bloody useless, cracked when top coat on it. Had to rub back down, use the UK supplied plastic primer and then final colour

Seats gone away now for retrim.

Chris

Reactions: Grabber70Mach
#175 ·
So got the headliner in today. A tip don’t use the 3M spray glue, it gets everywhere..........

Lots of other small jobs have been done over last few weeks: door handles, chrome, outer wheel arches (well 3 out of 4 as the dodo's at Ecklers sent me 2 no RHS rear instead of front and rear)

Engine getting closer to being fired up; new carb. Alternator, coil, modified vacuum tree etc.
Looks like I will need to fab up a carb to throttle bracket, the standard ford cable wont fit my new Edelbrock

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/silverfox1001/media/Mach1%20resto/02956453d1a0d03d019f13ca92ae3c24_zpsudpfu2pj.jpg.html][/URL]

http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/silverfox1001/media/Mach1%20resto/5e14e643e467b42f3b830d876ecb233c_zpse013izz5.jpg.html][/URL]
http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/silverfox1001/media/Mach1%20resto/4996c9c82b9a56a60f561fb23571c294_zpsuijfvsjo.jpg.html][/URL]

#176 ·
#177 ·
Klutch, thanks for the comment and that link is really helpful, going to buy one this week.
I must catchup with your progress, not been on here much recently, what with work and mustangs.....
Cheers
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.