351W Build - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 351W Build

I hope I can ask this question without confusing anyone.I'm about to start building this 351W and I have a question about the heads and intake.The engine block is D4AE-6015-AA.The current heads on the block are D8OE-AB, which I'm taking off. I have a set of GT-40's and D0OE-C heads, but haven't decided which ones I'm going to use. The D0's have had a little work done to them, and the GT-40's will need to be cleaned up. I have a stock intake E4TE-9425-BB that I'm planning on using.
Ok, so the question is when I sat the intake on the motor as is, the passages between the heads and intake didn't line up.The intake sits a little low.When I mount the GT-40s or D0's will the intake fit correctly?Will changing those heads change the way the intake sits up top?I'm thinking the heads may be the problem and hoping the deck of the block hasn't been modified in any way.When I initially got the motor about a year ago, it had an Edelbrock Performer intake on it.It wasn't running, and I didn't look to see if it was line up neither.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1015.jpg (96.3 KB, 26 views)
Mac74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did you have any intake gaskets on the heads when you checked it?

68 J code sprint, 408W
11.59@ 120.95mph in street trim.
frdnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

how much is 'a little low'?? The intake gaskets and end seals will raise it up 'a little'...
Old 06-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

it isnt the block deck, or the cylinder heads you have to worry about being milled, its the intake. it sounds like the intake was milled, probably about .015-.020 just off hand.

but before i panic, i would first set up a gasket on the heads, along with a head gasket, and then set the intake down and see how far off things are.

a man's fate is a man's fate
and life is but an illusion
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re

I didn't have a gasket. That may make a difference. I didn't really measure the distance it was off, but the gaskets may lift it up
Mac74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'd run the D0OE-C heads. They have smaller chambers than the '40's and conventional rocker studs as opposed to the pedestal-mount bosses on the '40's. The valve sizes are identical. I'd also eBay that E4 intake and go with something (anything) different, my choice would be a Stealth 8023.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.