Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Window binding issue

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  macstang 
#1 ·
I am completely perplexed right now.

I'm trying to finish the window install on my 67 coupe, however my passenger side door window is binding in the vent window channel and takes a lot of effort to roll it up and down. All components are original (except door skin) and the regulator works smoothly on its own.

The window tracks are restored and greased.

The vent window channel for the window also has new felt installed.

If I just install the window (not hooked up to the regulator) and try to slide it up and down in the door, it takes a lot of effort and gets bound up. It should almost fall right down in the door if you let go of it, but it doesn't. And the vent window is properly adjusted to the A pillar.

Once upon a time I had the entire door assembled and seemed to recall the window operating smoothly. I had replaced the door skin, but didn't like it so removed it and replaced it with a Dynacorn door skin. When I install the vent window, it's an exceptionally tight fit in between the skin and the shell. I am wondering if that is actually squeezing the vent window channel together somewhat so it causes the door window to bind.

I took an extra vent window I had and tried squeezing it to see how likely this was...and it doesn't really move much at all. So I don't know if this is really pinpointing the problem or not. Because what I'd be faced with is doing some minor surgery there to widen out that area between the door skin and door.

Any suggestions or realizations from past experiences?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
There are 2 types of asjustments on these windows and you have to get them both right. There is the vertical line which has to be the same between the front channel and the back one. There is also a curvature that the window has as it rolls up. If both end channels are not right it is going to bind somewhere.

I rebuilt both my doors and my passenger window is smooth as glass(pun intended, LOL). My driver door binds up on the vent channel toward the top. I think my problem is that the top of the vent channel is tilted back a bit and binds up the window toward the top. It appears that the in and out adjustment to set the window curvature is ok.

I think I just need to fiddle with the vent window and channel adjustment a bit more. I may loosen it and roll the window up completely and see if it is smooth then. IF so, I can just tighten it down at that position and it should work(in theory). You might give that a try since it sounds like the same problem I have with my driver window.

#3 ·
Hi Mac. I'm the opposite of you. My driver's door works great. My passenger's door, not so much (it's like your driver's door). I had loosened up everything so nothing was 'creating' bind...but it was still binding. I just can't see what it is catching on unless it's getting pinched in the vent window channel.

#4 ·
My driver door is the after market one too which is kind of interesting. It is possible that the mounting points in the door for the vent window are off and won't allow it to adjust like it should. On my window, it stops short of rolling all the way up by about the last inch. It moves fine up until then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.