Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1.5" drop spindle available soon

14K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  2nd 66 
#1 ·
CSRP's 1.5" drop V8 spindle for 65-66 is finally in transit and will be available soon. Release is pending shipment from the foundry and our QA. Cost will be $329.

The spindles will accept OE KH/Ford brakes including the dust shields. We will develop larger rotor applications soon.

See the image below.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds awesome! I'll be waiting.

Reactions: pirate_picker
#8 · (Edited)
I believe so.

Great!

A couple of questions (from the unitiated in suspension geometry):
Are they American made?
Does the 1.5" drop eliminate the need for the bump steer correction (like the Baer Trackers?)?
Is the rest of the geometry the same as the stock spindles?

Thanks!
They are formed and machined in China. I am asked this question often. My unspoken thought when asked this question is, do you believe that I could get these made in North America? There are no foundries in the US that will take on short work (small quantity jobs), and if there were the cost would be at least double. Fact is, despite all the prejudiced against parts made in Asia, quality is about carefully specified production in a qualified facility, not national origin.

The spindle have OE 65-66 V8 steering and suspension geometry. I make no other claims about performance.

#9 ·
Hi Dennis,

Has the first batch arrived yet?

Regarding Chinese manufacturing it is simply a part of our 'modern reality' and despite much evidence to the contrary there is also plenty of evidence that quality parts can be, and are produced there. Would I prefer that this manufacturing capability was available to small vendors in the US - yes. Would I pay more for a part produced here of equal or greater quality - yes again.

#10 ·
I've finally gotten a firm arrival date of 4/25. The supposedly settled labor actions on the west coast are still causing major delays (like 3 weeks on this shipment).

When it comes to our willingness to pay more for US production, I'd wager that, when money is in hand to make a purchase, the majority of our countrymen place overwhelming priority on cost.

In regard to quality of goods, I think back to the 1960's and the 200 pages of absolute JUNK offered up in the JC Whitney catalog. All of these parts were made in the US.

Quality is the result of a cultural trait that knows no borders.

#23 ·
+1 on that.

When I was in Afghanistan almost eight years ago. computer products would arrive in one of the Afghan army Depots from China. On some of the boxes it was clearly marked in English, "NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION TO WESTERN COUNTRIES". The products in these were anything from knock off Cisco routers to bogus HP ink cartridges. This stuff was pure junk. Cisco doesn't make its routers in China nor does HP make it ink cartridges there. The red ink came out more orange and the black was brownish. I opened up a broken router, no way was that router made by Cisco.

I'm sure China has a better QC for parts going to the states that are ordered to a certain specification or ISO standard by a reputable US client. But still I am willing to pay more for parts made in North America. My brake drums I got from a Ford dealer with made in Canada. The Wagner drums sold at Advance Auto are made in China.

#30 ·
CSRP parts are generally pretty good- i doubt he would sell a line of spindles that were substandard-- ive used 7 or so sets of his 4 piston calipers..

aside from that i dont understand the need for a drop spindle today.. those that would want drop spindles probably will run 17" wheels.. wouldnt that negate the need for the drop spindle?

i would have rather seen a spindle where the arm is corrected/ (shorter) to allow a rack setup to give full travel of lock to lock-- and i havent seen a rack that doesnt lose some travel- and i have TCP in my own car.

we used to heat up datsun steering knuckles for racing to give quicker steering (like BRE) for both 510s and Z's. im sure a similar thing could be done for a mustang spindle- i just havent got around to trying it yet

#36 ·
...aside from that i dont understand the need for a drop spindle today.. those that would want drop spindles probably will run 17" wheels.. wouldnt that negate the need for the drop spindle?
Even with 17" wheels, you can't run much backspacing without hitting the UBJ. Shawn at Street-or-Track says that even after you clear that obstacle, the tie rod end is up next, meaning that even if the UBJ wasn't in the way, the tie rod end wouldn't let you get a whole lot deeper. I have no idea how large a wheel one would have to run to clear those...

However, I do prefer a dropped spindle over cutting coils to lower a car. You preserve factory suspension travel doing it this way.

#31 ·
Hi fonebooth,
I appreciate what you are saying about CSRP parts in general but I would still like to hear some feedback about machining quality etc.
I will be running 18" wheels on my 66 but with the backspace I need to run the top of the ball joint won't clear even these wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.